Camera buying advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more buying point (for me) on the Canon G10 is that Really Right stuff makes an “L” plate for the G10, for attaching the camera to a quick release clamp on a ballhead, tripod or monopod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BG10%2DL&eq=&Tp=

Pricey, yes! But my tripod and monopod system is built around a RRS ballhead and quick release clamps … so it makes sense to look in that direction.

Kirk Enterprises makes an L plate (or bracket) for the G10, as well.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-bracket_for_Canon_Powershot_G10.html

This thread is getting to be dangerous territory for me. If I get thinking about it too much, I’m likely to make the buy. I probably could sneak the camera in past Mrs. Grumpy, with a little sweet talk. But one thing always leads to another – the L bracket, then a ballhead and tripod legs better scaled to the G10, and who knows what? And that creates, shall we call it ... tension.

G.

One drawback is that it requires proprietary batteries.

Doug
Yeah, that gave me a bit of pause but the battery seems to last forever and charges very quickly. As I mentioned, I purchased a spare http://www.bestbatt.com/ but have yet to need it and don't carry it on (day) hikes.

I believe the specs indicate how many pics you can take with it depending on flash usage, display, review of pics etc. etc.

I have to agree that the proprietary battery pack is a drawback on the Canon G10. However, my experience with rechargeable batteries in the past 3-4 years, the G10's battery (NB7L) specs and reports regarding the G10's battery working capacity (approx 400 shots per charge) lead me to conclude this should not be a deal killer. I would certainly get at least one, and be inclined to get two backup batteries.

G.

I have to agree that the proprietary battery pack is a drawback on the Canon G10. However, my experience with rechargeable batteries in the past 3-4 years, the G10's battery (NB7L) specs and reports regarding the G10's battery working capacity (approx 400 shots per charge) lead me to conclude this should not be a deal killer. I would certainly get at least one, and be inclined to get two backup batteries.
While Lion (lithium ion, rechargeable) batteries work well they are rather expensive. They basically decay in several years whether you use them or not*. (So don't buy one and save it for later.) Will they still be available in 10 (or whatever) years? Will I have to discard a perfectly good camera because I can't get a new battery?

Lion cells are also rather delicate--full discharges will significantly reduce their lifetime. Overcharging and reversing cells will destroy them.

* Store Lion batts at 40% charge 0C (32F) to maximize their functional lifespan. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I read somewhere that cellphone** manufacturers refused to consider standard sizes for Lion batteries... (Standard sizes reduce cost and improve long term availability. Consider, for instance, the availability and costs of AAA, AA, C, and D cells.) It looks to me like camera manufacturers are doing the same thing. Even worse, a number of devices (eg iPods) come with non-user-replacable Lion batteries...

** Most modern cellphones use Lion batteries.

<soapbox on>
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I favor cameras with standard battery types (eg AA), 28mm lenses (for scenic photography), and viewfinders (for bright environments and it is easier to hold a camera steady against your face than just out in your hands).
<soapbox off>

Doug

Yo, Mohammed!

After all the peripheral chatter here, I want to thank you for opening the "what to buy?" discussion. I managed to get some information I wanted.

And, I wonder (a) what your decision is, and (b) whether this thread was helpful in reaching that decision. Will you give us an update, when appropriate?

G.

I wanted to upgrade to a Canon with image stabilzation but didn't like the new models with no viewfinder and no manual controls. What the $#&@ was Canon thinking about when they dropped these options?

With a little luck, I was able to pick up an almost new A570IS on EBay for $66. I've been playing around with it today and the "IS" really makes a difference on hand held, low light shots. I'm now a very happy camper!

Rather than start a new thread, since this one has become rather generic:
  • Is there any real advantage to an Ultra II SDHC card (I have no plans to do video)?
  • How well do Micro SDHC cards plus adapter work?
Thanks!

Grumpy: I will get back to you when I have a chance to answer at some length.

Ultra is a classification by Sandisk, it just means Class 4 card. Any Class 4 card is pretty much the same. Regular cards are Class 2, Extreme III are class 6. With the current prices, it doesn't make any sense to buy less than Class 4, and almost no reason not to buy class 6.

The biggest advantage of faster cards is downloading the images to your computer via a USB card reader. For shooting, it will be used if you shoot in burst mode and video.

I use these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208293 At that price there's no point buying a slower or smaller card.

Yo, Mohammed!

And, I wonder (a) what your decision is, and (b) whether this thread was helpful in reaching that decision. Will you give us an update, when appropriate?
The thread was not very useful to me, as I had posed my question poorly and did not try to clarify. I ended up buying the Panasonic FZ28, as it had the two features I needed: a viewfinder rather than just the damned LCD, and substantial zoom (18×). Bigger than I would have liked, but I did not seem to find a suitable smaller alternative.

I was very tempted by the Panasonic TZ5 with its 10× zoom and small size, but I considered a viewfinder more important than size.

Why the FZ28 rather than the SX10? Simply price, on Amazon the former was about $70 cheaper than the latter. Since both have many features that I will not use there seemed to be no point in trying to decide which was better.

Beginner's luck

On the day I received my camera I went out to shoot some glorious peonies that grow on the condo grounds. On my way there I spotted a bird on a rock some distance away. One of the main features I had wanted in my camera was powerful zoom; I decided to test it out.

Without too much thought I aimed (using the viewfinder), zoomed (maximum zoom, 18×), focused and shot. After lowering the camera there was no bird on the rock.

After shooting the peonies I went back home, downloaded the pictures to my computer, and looked at the picture of the rock (I expected the bird to be gone!). Seems that by pure luck I pressed the shutter button just as the bird started fluttering its wings, with its feet still on the rock (picture cropped to enlarge bird)!

Bird%20taking%20flight.jpg

I like my new camera :)

Last edited: