Canon 5D MkII Announced

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drool!!!!

I have been shooting with the 20D, waiting and waiting and waiting for this to come out. The features look amazing for the price ~$2800. And it's not just the sensor that improved, but the flexibility. This thing pumps out a 25mb RAW file!

I've waited so long though, and considering where I am in life, I think I am going to wait for the first round of price reductions or rebates before I jump into this...20D through the winter. I also don't mind waiting, considering that this was nearly 4 years between upgrades, and it's more camera than I'd imagine I'd need again for a long time.

For anyone looking for a great value and a top of the line camera...this is it!

Here's the specs at a glance:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkii.asp

Last edited:
Last edited:
OMG! Great googely moogely!

Anyone have $2800 they want to loan me?

I am going to have to be in the "wait for price drop after xmas" group, but I have to say that I see one of these in my future.

- darren

Hoe-dee ... wow. *drool*

I'll just have to get by with my meager 40D for a few more years. :)

(but I may start buying full-frame lenses instead of EF-S, just in case...)

MichaelJ said:
Hoe-dee ... wow. *drool*

I'll just have to get by with my meager 40D for a few more years. :)

(but I may start buying full-frame lenses instead of EF-S, just in case...)

I definitely recommend buying "full-frame" lenses (FX lenses in Nikon lingo).

G.

Wow, so my 20D is a little old, huh? Even if I got the 5D Mk II I would still keep my 20D so I can get 640mm out of my 400mm.

- darren

darren said:
Wow, so my 20D is a little old, huh? Even if I got the 5D Mk II I would still keep my 20D so I can get 640mm out of my 400mm.

- darren

Well, that and the fact that it's resale value is about $300 now...I wish all my investments depreciated 80% in three years...I should bite my tongue...

darren said:
Actually, the 20D and 5DMkII have the same pixel pitch (6.4 microns), so you can get the same effect by cropping a 5DMkII image:

5DMkII: 21.1MP, 5616 x 3744, (36mm x 24mm sensor)
20D: 8.2MP, 3504 x 2336, crop factor 1.6, (~22.5mm x ~15mm sensor)

So cropping to the center 1/1.6 of the 5DMkII sensor:
5616/1.6 = 3504 pixels
3744/1.6 = 2336 pixels
or the same number of pixels (8.2MP) as the 20D sensor with a crop factor of 1.6. But the 5DMkII pixels are "better" pixels.

Or if you prefer, you can view the 20D as the center part of the 5DMkII... :)

Note: this equivalence only works because both sensors have the same pixel pitch (size). You can crop any larger sensor to the center 22.5mm x 15mm to get an effective crop factor of 1.6, but you may get a different number of pixels. (Cropping to the center portion of the sensor is exactly what a digital zoom does.)

Doug

Last edited:
Cool analysis of the pixel pitch. Now I can feel ok about strapping my 20D to the front of my mtn bike and blasting through the woods with it. I thought a 20D was still worth about $500 but if it is down to $300 then I might strap mine on my bike before I get the 5D Mk II (which won't happen any time soon).

- darren

That's about how I feel about my 300D (original Rebel) vs. the 40D. :D

I'll be happy with my XSi for a while. It is nice and light so it is good for carrying on hikes. Although the 5DMII would be nice for my other photo outings! oh 5D or more L lenses.... Decisions, Decisions!

Just caught this news & forum now and it looks like I'll be counting all the pennies I've said since I was 6!

I picked up the canon rebel xsi in June and have been pleased with it (I'd give it a B+ overall), but this 5D II would destroy it.

I'm drooling. Bad. I need a mop.

I've been shooting with the XT (work camera) while lusting after the XSi (for myself). Now I'm wishing that my husband would get paid more so I could get this one instead. *sigh* I need more money for toys.