Carrigain via Shoal Pond Tr/Desolation Tr

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
One of the hikes I'm thinking of doing this year (maybe late summer or early fall) is Carrigain as a north to south traverse, starting on Zealand Rd, to Ethan Pond Tr, to Shoal Pond Tr, to Desolation Tr and out to the Sawyer River Rd.

I've heard Shoal Pond Tr can be a little tricky to follow. If anyone has any suggestions to help me find my way, or stories to share of this area, they would be appreciated.

Anyone think they might be interested in joining me?

rocksnrolls said:
I've heard Shoal Pond Tr can be a little tricky to follow. If anyone has any suggestions to help me find my way, or stories to share of this area, they would be appreciated.
Can't be too hard--I did it in winter at night... (N-S) There are serious stream crossings.

I found the N half of Threau Falls Tr harder to follow (again in winter), but there are fewer/no serious stream crossings.

Doug

Well, plan on the Shoal Pond Trail to be be either wet or overgrown, probably both. It is a beautiful and wild trail, seeing very few hikers. The issues we had finding the trail where were it crosses the stream, 5 times I think. That is an excellent traverse for what the Whites have to offer, mountains, remoteness, and lots of scenery. Plan on the Desolation trail being wet and rooty as it doesnt recieve a lot of sun. -Mattl

I might be interested, but why North to South? After the mileage of coming in from Zealand the idea of climbing the steep side of Carrigain makes me cringe.

FYI over the years, the back side of Carrigan is one of the last places to loose snow cover in the whites. I have run into several groupd over the years that had to change their plans when they discovered deep snow on the north side of Carrigan in early June.

My recollections of Shoal Pond trail long ago was wet and boggy on the north end.

Most of the Shoal Pond Trail is old railroad grade, but many sections have been bypassed due to mud and with Wilderness rules nothing is well marked, of course just keep going on whatever and you will eventually get through

I have done the Signal Ridge-Desolation-Carrigain Notch loop a couple times and have also spent several days bagging low level trails in the Pemi (many now discontinued), but have never combined them

MichaelJ said:
I might be interested, but why North to South? After the mileage of coming in from Zealand the idea of climbing the steep side of Carrigain makes me cringe.

Well, two reasons - 1) I've hiked the Ethan Pond Tr s>n already and want to see the other side of the trees. 2) Having already climbed Carrigain from the Signal Ridge side (thanks again to you and u_d again for joining me on that hike) I'd like to climb it from the north.

Besides, it's not that many miles :D

We hiked the Carrigain Notch - up Desolation Trail - down Signal Ridge loop over Carrigain for our White Mountain CROP Walk a few years ago, when as we were lounging around on the summit platform, two of the croo from Zool Hut arrived doing an out and back via Shoal Pond, I believe. They claimed that they would be back at Zool in time to serve supper, so they must have been running most of the way.

I'm very interested if it's September 20th. The 6th and 13th of that month don't work for me. :D