Cathedral/Knife Edge/The Owl/ I Meet Mad Townie (Oct. 10-13)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
My (mainly) Maine friends who were marking their 30th consecutive Columbus Day weekend camping trip in Baxter chose the Bear Brook group campsite, 2.3 miles south of Roaring Brook, this year.

We had fine weather Saturday and Sunday, so a number of us were able to hike the Cathedral/Knife Edge loop to Baxter on Sat. and I added The Owl on Sunday - both on my list of most-desirables. They lived up to my high hopes.

I knew from his post last week that Mad Townie also planned to hike up The Owl on Sunday, and he was one of three hikers I encountered on my ascent, on his way down, well up the cliff section of the trail. We had a pleasant chat and discovered some common interests. I had that wonderful summit to myself.

My other photos are here.

A--great pics'-they give good feel for Cathedral; as you know the KE via Cathedral is one of my favorite hikes--glad the weather cooperated--the Owl is also a gem--G-burg was fun, but wished I were there

jim

Hey, we were up there that weekend too. Stayed at Katahdin campground and hiked the Owl on Sat.

Awesome trip!! Thanks for reminding me how much fun I had hiking Cathedral a couple of years ago. :D Great photos, too.

The Owl looks like a worthy destination, too. Meeting Townie there is icing on the cake! I've put The Owl on my Baxter "to do" list Problem is: that list is HUGE. Only one solution: a trip back there in 2009 :cool:

Best regards,
Marty

Looks like a great weekend. ditto on the Owl. Great hike when you have limited time. Both times I have done that hike it has been on the same day as arriving at BSP after a long drive.