Catskill Snowfall Report?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploreTheEast

Reaction score
I was going to just tag this along to the other thread looking for snowfall reports in NH, but I didn't want to pseudo-hijack it.

If anybody can report on snow in the Catskills today, it would be greatly appreciated. Supposed to be headed in that direction early tomorrow morning, just want to know what to expect-- there's been a large white/grey spot on the radar over the whole area all day long today. Thanks!

And might I make a suggestion for a temporary Snowfall Report sticky? Just for early in the season? I saw the website that someone pointed out, but once a day isn't often enough to help me plan last minute trips this early in the season. THanks again for listening!!

It's been snowing in Kingston all day. Nothing stuck on the roads, but there is accumulation on the grass. I'm sure there is more on the ground in the higher altitudes. There is about an inch in Kingston.
I's say if you've got instep crampons, throw them in your pack. Anything more than that you might want to just have in your car, just in case. I suspect it will just be a little sloppy and wet.
Tom

Forget the catskills, there is a chance of a couple inches in Orange Cty NY and NW NJ tonight and I heard there was a sleet/rain line in Harriman SP today.

No snow for me today, it rained all day so I had a fairly wet bike commute. (Still beats driving :)).

Jay

We got a dusting..

Woke up this morning (well, not exactly woke up, more like stumbled out of bed) to a slight dusting of the grassy and shaded areas.. here in Passaic County NJ.

Trying to see if I can head to Campmor today, I need some stuff!

Jay

Woke up to 2 inches on the ground in extreme Northwest NJ. Got an inch yesterday and another inch during the night. Started sticking on the roads last night but the salter trucks took care of that by morning.

Last edited:
We did Pecoy Notch today, came up from Roaring Brook. There was about 1 or 2 inches in the PA, and about 5 inches up on top. The wind in the notch was wicked cold. Glad we hadn't planned on a loop. Just a great day to be out, but my body hasn't quite made the jump to the cold weather quite yet.
Yes, we paid our respects to Darren and Warren's thrones.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

Ski area snow reports

One thing I've learned as a snowshoer is to NOT trust snow depth/condition reports from ski areas. Given their commercial bias and the fact that they include man made snow, the data is skewed - particularly at the start/end of the year.

Bob Smith said:
Windham Mt ski report was calling for 3 inches

Catskills picked up significantly less snow than I expected, hiked W-C-S from Woodland this morning, dusting in the valley maybe 2-3" at best near the peaks; quite a bit already melted by afternoon. Phenomenal day to get out nonetheless - tomorrow should be the same but watch out for snowmelt refreeze.

Giant Ledge 3" on top

We spent a beautiful weekend on Giant Ledge. There was about 3" on top, nothing you couldn't negotiate in your boots.

Saturday temps were in the 20s with a wind of around 40mph that made it feel like it was in the low teens, maybe single digit.

Sunday the trail was rather icy in many spots which made going down a bit hairy in places. The many people on the way up had no problems at all.

Hey PB, longtime.
I've been OBSERVING the snowfall for 2 weeks now. It's snowed quite frequently on the burroughs range most of the day yesterday, and most of this morning. I expect it's close to 2 feet of snow up on slide, maybe more. There has been little additional snow on the indian head range, and I don't have a visual of the Devils tomstone/hunter range, but it;s been cold up there and I suspect they've had some additional.
I did camp last weekend in the Diamond Notch area and there was about 18 inches of snow the consistancy of dry sand in the area. Very tough walking without 'shoes.
Hope all is well with the whole group,
Tom

I climbed Eagle and Big Indian today, and it snowed off and on all day. Probably only a couple of inches, but the wind blown snow was already erasing my tracks as I retraced them.

When I got back to my car in Seager, there was only half an inch on it.

Andrew