Catskills in spring

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were in the vicinity last weekend and found that the only substantial snow was left over from the last storm. There was no base per se. I'd imagine after this weekend, the conditions will be pretty close to what youre looking for with the warm weather pushing in for the next few days. Hope this helps ya out.

BirdHead Studios

Mohamed, two years ago on May 18 my son and I climbed Slide and faced over 8 inches of brand new snow. The trees already had small leaves on them and the weight of the snow was breaking off limbs. We were going to continue on to Cornell and Wittenburg but the wind chill and slippery snow turned us back. It was an unusual situation but it is a high mountain area with unpredictable weather. If you check the forecast you should be able to find good conditions shortly. It's a nice gradual climb, have fun.

I too have encountered snow (albeit packed) at Catskill Summits in late May, even after a week of over 80 degree weather. Even the Shawangunks can house snow as late as the end of April. I will be in the vicinity this weekend (hopefully) and I will report any snow I find.

Funny, I was just thinking of asking this today- to expand, what about backpacking. I was thinking of camping on Giant Ledge or in the mountains (yes below 3500, I know).

Any thoughts on when this is a good idea? I suspect the answer could be now....

Best way to hike Slide

One of the nicest hikes in the Northeast is the combination of Slide, Cornell, and Wittenberg, so don't cheat yourself by just doing Slide. I learned this from the locals the first time I went to hike Slide many moons ago. The best way to do this is with 2 cars, park one at Woodland Valley for the end of the trip and then drive the other to the parking area at Slide Mountain Rd./Rt. 47 for the beginning of your hike.

It's hard to know when Slide will be completely snow free but since it's hiked so frequently you should be able to get a good idea of conditions from the trail reports. Have a great trip!

I might be leading a small group either to Hunter and South West Hunter or Balsam Cap and Friday Mountain On Sat. the 27th.If I get a chance I will submit a trail report that will include snow depths.I would not be surprised to see some bear tracks. Last weekend I took 2 different hikes and the snow was over a foot deep .

Mohamed, My guess is your doing the NE4000's. There is a group doing a hike of the Devils Path that includes Hunter (This is a LONG hike). We are doing it as a fund raiser for The Brain Tumor Society and The NY/NJ Trail Confrence. It would offer you a chance to meet us Southern VFTT members, Darren may join us us as well. You can camp and do Slide the next day. Freddy suggestion is also an excellent hike with some of the best views of the Catskills if your unable to join us. As for your question, I would wait until late April or early May.

I don't believe we're actually going over the summit of Hunter, you would have to get off the Devil's Path proper to go do Hunter. However, you're welcome to join us and perhaps take a detour to Hunter when we get there.

Jay

I think April is a good month to hike the Catskills, as long as you stay away from muddy routes. The views are better before the leaves come out and if you wait for the snow to be gone, you will be hiking in blackfly season. The main trails up Hunter and Slide are so heavily used that the snow pack above 3500 feet really should be no problem, the mud is not bad on those trails.

I've seen refrozen snowmelt on the portion of the Slide trail on the NE side of the mountain in mid May and it required crampons. It really depends on what temps and precip have been like for the week or so before your trip. But the summit itself should be clear in mid-May. There may be a note at the trail register about conditions on top, if crampons are required.

Mohammed,
Watch the trail reports on this site and the weather reports. This is transition time here and anything can happen, but you will usually have at least 24 hours notice. I'll be guiding a 4 day trip over the central catskills next week and will post a report somewhwere on this board.
This week, especially the last few days, I've noticed it being pretty hazy in the afternoons. I attribute this to all the evaporating snow and ice. I have been checking out the mountains everyday on my way to and from work. I really would like to leave the crampons home next week.
The forecast shows warm weather for the next week at least, and the nights will be mostly above freezing. It took a while coming, but I think it is finally here. Of course, the Ashokan is still 85% frozen over. I have a bet that it will be fully clear by next Thursday. It will be close, I think.
Happy Trails,
Tom

As in other areas of the Northeast the Catskills had less snow this year than normal. The current pack on most summits is 12-18 inches or less and going fast. Unless we get more snow the main trails to Slide and Hunter should not be much of a problem by mid April. The west approach to Slide from county route 47 and the Spruceton Trail to Hunter are mostly old roads which are not too bad in the mud season. These are not the most scenic approaches as others have mentioned.

As I recall from prior threads you expressed interest in county high points. Two other Catskill high points: the shoulder of Bearpen (Delaware County) and Huntersfield (Schoharie County) can also be accessed via old roads and are good mud season Catskill hikes.

For Bearpen the Ski Run Rd is usually dry although parts of the connecting ridge road that goes past the high point on the way to the summit has horrendous mud wallows due to ATB usage. These wallows are bad all year and no worse in spring than any other time of the year.

For Huntersfield there is an old road that starts at the height of land on the Macumber Road at an old quarry and takes you to within 0.1 miles of the summit. A short walk on the Long Path completes the hike. This route is described in "Catskill Trails, A Ranger's Guide, Northern Catskills", by Edward G. Henry. But no guide is really needed for this easy hike on the unmarked road which follows the southwest ridge line. Note that the section of Macumber Road over the ridge is not maintained in winter - so it might be a bit dicey to drive in the early spring. Cars can be parked just inside the entrance of the old quarry. The more often used route to Huntersfield is on the Long Path from the west which starts from a lower portion of the Macumber Road. That route can be quite muddy in the spring, and a section of the trail has been affected by recent logging.

Many thanks to all for the information provided.

Mark Schaefer was right on the mark when he guessed that this was a county highpointing expedition! I had originally been thinking of just doing the mountainous eastern NY counties, but have decided to add two in NJ and one in PA, so what had been planned as two trips will probably become three, with the Catskills a bit later (in full black flie season, YEAH!!).

Peakbagr, I am much slower than when we last hiked together (VT Gathering, I guess?), I would love to have your company, not sure how much you would enjoy mine.

As soon as I have decided on the destinations for the first trip I will start a new thread asking for specific advice on maps, routes and lodging.

A few years ago some friends and I hiked the escarpment trail in early May, a nice little 2 night trip. (taking it easy, enjoying the views. We passed some little patches of snow here and there, but nothing serious until coming down Blackhead towards the Bataviakill LT. Some nasty ice and snow there. THe real *fun* happened the last day while we were enjoying some lunch and fine views on Windham. We saw the darkest meanest looking front coming around and over the Blackhead range. Right around then we noticed the few puddles in the rocks freezing right in front of us, temp must have dropped 20-25 degrees in 15 minutes. Needless to say, we made a quick scoot down the mountain to our pre posistioned car, barely beating out a nice ice cold heavy rain.

So..anyway..the weather can be....unpredicatable...

Mid May is my favorite time of year in the Catskills. There is nothing nicer than starting the hike with leaves out down low then heading up high where there are no leaves, then finding snow in the spruce-fir forest above 3500'. In mid May I always like a nice long bushwack where I follow a stream up a mountain that I can fish on the way down. This year it looks like its going to be Kaaterskill High Peak.

May can be a very fickle month in the Catskills. As foxfire said it can be hot, then a powerfull cold front can come throw and next thing you know its snowing. Two years ago in late May the Catskills got as much as 2ft of snow, and even Albany got 6". So basically in May you can expect snow, mud, rain, thunderstorms, bugs, cold weather, hot weather, wind, and a good time.

Took the family out to dinner tonight (ok, thats rare enough) and on the way home we heard the peepers! Yes, the peepers are out tonight here in the Catskills!
For the uninformed, peepers are small frogs that greet the true spring weather each year. They come out when the temps finally reach an acceptable level for a long enough period (they know the formula, I do not). In another couple of days there will be so many of them that you can hear them as you drive by the wetlands at 60 mph with the windows rolled up.
Tonight we will sleep with our windows open just we we can have them lull us to sleep. I was enjoying winter, but oh, the sound of those peepers just gets me all excited.
Each winter I forget about these creatures until they annouce their presence. And every time they do, I rejoice to another season change. It is official, it is peeper time!
For the bipeds still interested in conditions up here, I see lots of snow on the western Catskills; Slide, Wittenberg, Cornell, etc. The central Catskills seem to be loosing their white coat on the southern flanks. I suspect that there is still enough white stuff on the northern side as it usually hangs in until late April or early may.
Just wanted to share my joy,
Tom

Last edited: