Cell phones in the Whites: technical question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jn316

Reaction score
This is a technical question, not an ethical one; I'm aware of all the arguments for cell phone use, from strictly verboten, to emergency use only, to the need to check in with kids, spouse, boss, broker, to the basic human need to chat or send a text message....

There seem to be a lot of people who post on VfTT who know a lot about communications technololgy (I don't).

While my analog cell worked well on most summits in the Whites, my digital cell, while showing full bars and full battery, is rarely able to make a call.
The guys at verizon mumble something about maybe being above the cell towers. Question: is there some way to increase digital cell phone capability on summits that the verizon techies might not know about?

thanks

Do you mind if I piggyback your thread for a moment and ask what is the best company or service for cell phone use in the Whites. I‘m being dragged out of my warm and safe luddite cave kicking and screaming.

US Cellular are very big in the north country, but pretty non-existant down here in civilization. They would be my top choice.

Otherwise, Verizon (with analog) seems to be the best.

-dave-

The cell phone system depends on an individual phone being able to reach only a few close-by towers. It is possible that you were reaching too many towers. (This is why you are not allowed to use a cell phone from an airborne aircraft.) Try moving down from the peak to block some of them.

I know this problem has occurred on Rainier, any good (high) location near population centers (lots of cell towers) is at risk.

Of course, it is a complex system and there are lots of other reasons it could fail.

Doug

I've recently gotten a cell phone using Nextel because of the features and discounts given to the Fire department. They stink up in the Whites, at least near the Glen/Jackson area. My wife and boys have Cingular and they have pretty good coverage most areas up there. Obviously, I am not talking about all places, but better coverage than Nextel, thats for sure.

Keith

Not for nothing, but I do know that Sprint (I think) and Nextel are improving service in the Twin Mountain area.

We have both Verizon and Nextel (for work) phones. Verizon relies on lots of "mom and mom" networks in providing coverage. In low population areas (full time residence, not visitors) such as the Whites analog networks are in place and have not been updated to digital.

Nextel (which is only digital) works well all the way up Re 93, including in Franconia Notch. Fairly good coverge heading east to Rte 16 via either Rte 113 or the Kanc to North Conway are and up to Bartlett. Once we leave Rte 93 at Exit 35 and head to Twin Mountain the signal dies.

With our Verizon Phone we have digital coverage in about the same area that our Nextel phne works and analog coverage in most of the White Mountain area, including most of the peaks. I've made test calls from many and have been very suprised at the coverage.

Cingular is also reported to be very good. A friend had his phone on in his pack one day while descending the slide on Owl's head - the phone rang for an incoming call and worked well. This same friend received a call near the Summer Trailhead for Galehead.

i'll 2nd US Cellular. I had no trouble getting signals in the presidentials w/ my phone. It seams to be good on most mts. I think the presidentials is about the farthest west it goes though, they are mostly a Maine company.

When I lived in VT, I used Cellular One, also known as Unicell, and had reasonably good service in VT, NH, ME & NY mountains. Am now using a Trac Phone, and while the service levels aren't noticably better, the quality is. I realize that most will use Trac only for emergency/low volume only, so I'm not recommending it for "regular" use as it would be rather expensive.

This may have been provided in other threads over the years, but here are some notorious deadspots in my experience:

1) Crawford Notch, from west of Bartlett to nearly Twin Mountain. If you need to make a call, pull off near the intersection of US 3 & 302. Or, stop near Johnson's Motel. There's also a 100 yd stretch near Last Chance Cabins.

2) The Kanc. Forget about it until you get to Loon Mtn. Service goes from non-existent to quite good with a few hundred yards as you get near Lincoln.

3) Franconia Notch - Service is poor from Flume to about the US 3 northbound exit. I think it has as much to due with not enough capacity as anything. If you're climbing up from Franconia towards Sugar Hill, westbound, you can park beside the road & if you're persistent, get a call to go thru.

Also - while service on the summits is good, it can be too good, as a the slightest movement can cause the phone to lock onto a different tower/provider and drop your call. If that happens - hunker down near boulders to reduce the lines of sight, or actually descend a few feet to accomplish the same difference.

Even though I've been disappointed with Cingular through the years, I've got to admit that I've often had a good signal in the Whites when others I've hiked with with other services had none.

Just recently, for example, I was separated from my party while on the A-Z trail and I left several messages for my hiking partners and even when they came down to the trailhead or were at the Highland Center looking for me, they still had no signal and didn't know I had left messages for them about my whereabouts.

I vote for Cingular!

I've had fairly good luck in the Whites with a Cingular nationwide plan.

When I got my current phone several years ago, I was told that it can also depend on which plan you have: different plans can use different phones which operate on different frequency bands and modes (eg GSM, TDMA, CDMA, analog).

The nationwide plan (with a tri-mode phone) was claimed to be better in the Whites than the other plans.

Doug

I also have a TracFone, and found the same issue, while I have the bars, none of the calls go through.

I have also found the areas of use spotty, but was glad it worked in Franconia Notch when we came back down and couldn't find the car in the snowstorm.

The food was lousy - and such small portions!

I'll second that T-Mobile is useless past Concord. But they offer a $19.95 a month plan so how can I quit them! :p

I use my wife's Verizon phone when I go up North (don't tell her boss!). Seems to get a signal about 50% of the time.

Hi,
We use Verizon, several friends changed to it as their services appeard to be inferior . ie:Verizon would connect but their's would not.
Just for the record I find Verizon to be not as reliable in obtaining a workable signal as it once was. Could it be the new phone antennas?
Oh yes you may want to use the fat litium battery (extra cost) for longer life in the cold.
I carry a back up small litihum in my cell case (A light but solid walled zippered eyeglass case)

I went up to the summit of Washinton this summer about 200 times and never could get my US Celluar to work. I saw Verizon an Tmobil people using theres.
The ranger at the summit building told me Verizon is the best up there. I'm changing over to Verizon this summer. We will get a corperate discount anyway going with them to make it a better deal with Verizon.

Yes. I dont like to endorse products on this forum too strongly, but I have always gotten a signal on summits with Verizon. Even got one at Russel Pond in Baxter and on Hamlin and Katahdin.
Climb on