Clearing blowdown

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then I said, "And creating a nuisance," and they all moved back, and we had all kinds of fun talking about trail maintenance and hiking above treeline and parking in the cog lot . . . .

(I have to confess that my starter cord arm starts to twitch whenever I see those blowdowns.) :D

Exciting Tales of Liability!

As a lawyer following this thread closely, you can imagine how the subject of liability has my starter-cord-grabbing hand itching too. Just think of the possiblities! The Big Guy--or Gal--upstairs plants a tree, which grows then dies, then He/She intelligently designs a perfect storm to knock some or all of it directly onto our chosen path.

Then come the hapless volunteers! Soon they are suffering from RBRI (repetitive blowdown removal injuries) or, worse, PTBSD (post-traumatic blowdown stress disorder).

Great cases! Add to the mix recreational use statutes which confer immunity on lots of public and private land owners, and now we can really cash in. Well, at least Neil's model friend is doing ok. (She is ok, isn't she? And when can we meet her, Neil?)

And, to return to actual fact mode for a moment, I would suggest that it far more likely that you'll end up in the slammer for moving a branch than being a successful claimant for brush clearing, or an unfortuante defendant for any claims of PTBSD. (The exception, of course, is the worker's compensation claim for the professionals who might suffer a workplace injury, but that is a whole different story.)

AND, though it has not been an item I've carried in the past, the saw is definitely going into the winter load; just a snip here or there for the benefit of my fellow travelers.

Happy holidays!

Last edited:
whitelief said:
And, to return to actual fact mode for a moment, I would suggest that it far more likely that you'll end up in the slammer for moving a branch than being a successful claimant for brush clearing, or an unfortuante defendant for any claims of PTBSD. (The exception, of course, is the worker's compensation claim for the professionals who might suffer a workplace injury, but that is a whole different story.)
I neer thought the reasons for the laws were liability. I always thought it was the landowner wanting control of their land. I think liability would only be an issue if thte state would encourage people to work.

FWIW, when we (ADK46ers) work for the state, we are considered unpaid employees of the state, and are covered by workers comp. As an organized group, meeting with the state, working on state approved projects, they do worry, hence the coverage.