Cohos Trail Alive Once Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomp

Reaction score
Well, I just got a newsletter from K.R. Nilsen and apparently the Cohos Trail is not dead! Thanks to an outpouring of support, he is handing off trailwork duties to locals in the Coos County. He will stay focused on fundraising and organization of the CTA. Here is the first part of the newsletter. I didn't include everything, but I think this blurb makes the point.

-----------------------------

Human's have debated as long as humankind has walked the surface of this
small planet about the possibility of life after life**a second go-round,
another level, a higher plane, a new dwelling house for the soul, one last
chance to get one¹s act together...not that I ever will. The Cohos Trail
Association, I am happy to report, is reorganizing so that it is a stronger
entity with an enhanced mission.

Recently, The Cohos Trail Association closed the 162-mile long trail system
for the 2007 hiking season. But that did not sit well with a whole host of
people. Good citizens began writing and calling, trying to breath new life
into the beast. They succeeded.

Today I can report that The Cohos Trail Association (TCTA) will reorganize
with an emphasis on managing the big footpath system from Coos County, not
from my desktop in far off Spofford, NH. The Castines, Lainie and Peter, of
Pittsburg (the last town on the trail at the very top of the State of New
Hampshire) have been very active in the maintenance and financial health of
the system, and they wish to step in to help me transistion TCTA from
down-state to up-state and to build a worthy Coos-based organization with
strong ties to local schools, local civic organizations, local volunteers of
every stripe, and local resources. That is what is needed. That is what it
will get.

Cool !!! Now we can all have a second chance to make a bigger effort to pitch in and help so we can have a chance at keeping it open . . .
I know I will do my part and hopefully if each of us does a little more, we can prevent it from being closed again. Thanks again for the update Chomp.

sli74

Thanks Chomp!

Didn't we consider the idea of hiking the whole thing a few years ago? Hmmm, distant memory. I am happy to hear the news!

I think we did talk about that, miehoff. Personally, I was waiting until they actually had some trails up near the CT Lakes. There was a bit too much road walking on Route 1 for my tastes. I'm glad to hear I'll still get that chance.

As for helping the cause, I'll include a bit more of the newsletter as to how you can help the efforts in 2007:

-------------------------------------

FIVE DOLLAR FUND DRIVE REVIVED TOO
Now for the dollar and cents part. In a few weeks, we will send along a
request to all on our email list to participate in our annual Five Dollar
Fund Drive. The drive is our way of fleecing you of your hard earned cash
and then telling you that you've supported one of humankind's great causes.

Seriously, The Cohos Trail Association would like to raise $5,000 in Five
Dollar Fund Drive donations in 2007, up a great deal from last year. You may
contribute any amount, from $5.00 to $5,000. (Never did get that cool
million we've been asking for each year.) Think about it, then wait until
our Five Dollar Fund Drive email request shows up on your computer. Read it
after you've had your morning coffee, please, so it won't be so much of a
shock.

If you are too impatient to part with your money, please send your donation
to: The Cohos Trail Association, 252 Westmoreland Road, Spofford, NH 03462.

Thanks chomp for delivering the news! I'm glad to hear that Mr. Nilsen took the right steps to make changes to jumpstart their trailbuilding efforts.

RW

whoopy ding dong, I hope the 12 people who hike it have fun :eek:

Yippie! I guess I will start reading my new copy of the Cohos Trail by Kim Robert Nilsen then and making plans! :)

I have put the whole announcement from the newsletter here.

I am somewhat dubious about the trail's long term prospects. Very few people from outside the area are willing to travel so far for no compelling reason, and it is a lot of trail to maintain with just the local resources.

Actually quite a few people hike it and really enjoy it. I have done a couple sections of it and I thought it was beautiful. Thats really great news! -Mattl

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I have put the whole announcement from the newsletter here.

I am somewhat dubious about the trail's long term prospects. Very few people from outside the area are willing to travel so far for no compelling reason, and it is a lot of trail to maintain with just the local resources.

Mohamed I agree with you on the prospects. The northern sections of the "trail" I have been on actually need building, let alone maintenance. Many parts I have been on are really semi-bushwacks on old snow machine trails/woods roads with no drainage and minimal markings. This portion of the trail will never appeal to the White Mountain brand of hikers, too far to go, no amenties and no nice treadway to follow.

Then again prospects were somewhat dubious for the AT when it first started.... look what it turned into!

Who knows what the COHOS might be 50 years from now, the IAT, etc.?

funkyfreddy said:
Then again prospects were somewhat dubious for the AT when it first started.... look what it turned into!

Who knows what the COHOS might be 50 years from now, the IAT, etc.?

My comments are only directed towards the northern part of the trail, from Dixville to the north. Other than Tumble Dick Notch ;), and Magalloway, there is absolutely nothing of interest to the general hiking public on the trail. It may appeal to 3k peak baggers like me, but not to most hikers.

dms said:
My comments are only directed towards the northern part of the trail, from Dixville to the north. Other than Tumble Dick Notch ;), and Magalloway, there is absolutely nothing of interest to the general hiking public on the trail. It may appeal to 3k peak baggers like me, but not to most hikers.

I think I mostly agree, if by hikers you mean 4000 ft peak baggers. The northern part of the trail is mostly flat (although don't forget Ben Young Hill and Deer Mountain too!). But that flatness might appeal to another sort of hiker.

When I hiked the Cohos Trail, I figured the lakes would be the most boring part. But the lakes are beautiful - particularly 6 mile view on Lake Francis. This picture doesn't really do it justice.

In the years since I hiked the trail, I've taken the family up to Deer Mountain Campground and "hiked" around the waterfalls and lakes in the area. And spent a lot of time sitting on our backsides watching the wildlife.

I guess the question is, how many more families are like mine? :)

dms said:

Then again, given the rate of population increase in the NE, any set aside land/trails and places protected from development will probably be a jewel 50 years from now.

Reactions: dms