Cold feet.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff-B

Reaction score
I often have cold feet.... :( …..both posting….and in reality.

Guaranteed NO COLD FEET, even for the harshest of winter experiences! :) :)
Now you can turn those summer trekkers into fine winter machines!

Over 20 years of damage in extreme icesailing conditions has rendered my feet vulnerable to future frostbite.
I keep my feet warm and dry with my iceboater’s “secret” weapon for use with many boots and shoes.
Now I plan to do a lot of winter climbing and this is my proven short term solution.

Iceboat sailors have always had the difficulty of keeping feet warm in windy, cold extreme conditions, both while standing around on ice and while riding in boats.
Toes get hammered with as low as -60 degree temps while the boat flies at 60-70 miles an hour. Toes stick up above the deck and bear the full brunt of the windchills.

Here is the trick:
A relatively simple device to make, you use a pair of modified insoles to insert a standard chemical heat pad element under your front foot. The insole is made so the bulky pad is flush fitted to the thickness of the sole through a newly hollowed slot.
These devices work so well that many iceboat racers use light weight track shoe sneakers!

Here’s how to make it:
Start with a pair of decent footbed inserts, thicker foam padded for support.
You will be sacrificing these for the new heat pad use only.
Draw an outline of the footbed insert on a cardboard template for length reference later.
Cut the sole in two locations to remove a portion behind the toes and in front of the arch, remove 2 inches total length.
Stitch 2 pieces of fabric either side of the removed section to create a hollow pocket with upper and lower layer. (Sewing machine suggested)
Use the template to reestablish the correct size length when you stitch the new upper & lower layers.
I use soft fleece for the top layer and a stiffer plastic film or synthetic for the bottom layer for stability.

The MyCoal handwarmers come in 2”x3-1/2” and will fit inside the hollow slot in the new custom footbed insole.
The handwarmer model is the cheapest, lasts at least 7 hours and can be found for $1.50 a pair or less.
Available in most outdoor stores or on-line.
Mycoal also makes adhesive toe warmer models but last only 5 hours and cost a lot more.

I keep my “heat-soles” on standby for use during extreme conditions only, but I can see using the same sole for hiking with or without the heat pack.
Keep the old sole cutout section for use without the heat pack and insert it into the slot!

Got warm feet?
Toasty...... :)

Great, Now I have a bump in the ball of my foot and I just ruined a great pair of insoles.
I'm sending you a red sqaure and a thick pair of socks!

just having some fun.....can't wait to try these out. Thanks Jeff-B!
Bill

That's a great idea, but how will your feet feel after 20 miles with a hole in the bottom of your boot's last. Might be good for sailing, or standing around, but I'm not convinced it translates over to hiking long miles with a heavy winter laden pack. Welcome aboard Jeff-B :D

NYBRAD said:
That's a great idea, but how will your feet feel after 20 miles with a hole in the bottom of your boot's last. Might be good for sailing, or standing around, but I'm not convinced it translates over to hiking long miles with a heavy winter laden pack. Welcome aboard Jeff-B :D

But that is exactly why you make the slot in the insole.
It fits the heatpack so it feels like the sole is nearly uninterupted and the same thickness throughout.
Really, this works quite well and fits sole profile correctly...for me anyways.
Hey, I hike too ya' know! :)

and I have been on and off this board for a while....but back again!

hmmm

The challenge I would have with this is that when you hike your feet get hot, leading to sweat. The cold usually comes when you start to set up camp, less blood flows and the sweat freezes around your foot. I would think this thingy could be useful to add ONCE you get to camp...otherwise it could make things worse...Causing more heat while you're hiking = more sweat to freeze in camp when your heatpack has now run out of heat....eeek.

Bluethroatedone said:
The challenge I would have with this is that when you hike your feet get hot, leading to sweat. The cold usually comes when you start to set up camp, less blood flows and the sweat freezes around your foot. I would think this thingy could be useful to add ONCE you get to camp...otherwise it could make things worse...Causing more heat while you're hiking = more sweat to freeze in camp when your heatpack has now run out of heat....eeek.

Yes I agree, without heatpacks, my feet sweat too every time I hike and then the sweat freezes just like you mention.
My feet will sweat just standing around too. This is the primary reason why I have problems in cold weather.

But when you use the heat packs, the heat actually keeps a drying effect going on and feet always remain dry and do not build up dangerous sweat.
I think the chemical release absorbs and burns mosture away, at least this is what I experience. These heat packs are made with coal, which has a natural moisture absorbing property, and they don't make your feet stink!

I would recomend only using a wicking layer and a med weight wool sock for best results. Don't use real heavy socks.

Heck, once you are in camp you can always break out another pair of heat packs to stand around in.
These are quite light and probably should be part of your emergency winter gear bag even if never used as mentioned.

I know from experience that these heat packs are useless if they get soaked. Keeping them dry is critical to their continued functioning. So, letting them absorb moisture seems counter-productive.

Tom Rankin said:
I know from experience that these heat packs are useless if they get soaked. Keeping them dry is critical to their continued functioning. So, letting them absorb moisture seems counter-productive.
Which kind of heat pack? There is more than one chemistry used in them. Reusable sodium acitate and water packs (eg EZ heat reusable hand warmer) are also sealed. Others (eg Heat Treat) claim to be air activated.

Doug

I have never had a problem with these for a whole day use regardless of how much or how little moisture is absorbed.
I believe these are air activated.

MyCoal handwarmers

Take what you want from my suggestion and leave the rest.
But don't knock it till ya' try it!
It really works. :)

Last edited:
Jeff, I discovered those toe warmers last winter and it was like discovering the wheel! I never tried anything fancy, just stuck 'em i<under my toes outside my socks and enjoyed. Two things I noticed, due to their rounded shape I got better results putting them in back to front and that once spent they form gravelly lumps that are uncomfortable. Obviously, creating space in my boot would cure that. I just bought a box of 40 so that says what I think of them.

Once you freeze your feet they're toast. :D

DougPaul said:
Which kind of heat pack? There is more than one chemistry used in them. Reusable sodium acitate and water packs (eg EZ heat reusable hand warmer) are also sealed. Others (eg Heat Treat) claim to be air activated.

Doug

I was referring to the 'Heat Treat' kind, that is air activated. If you take them out of their sealed containers, they start to get warm. That can be a problem, as I've had some that didn't work in the field when I really needed them! [shivering icon here]

Tom Rankin said:
I was referring to the 'Heat Treat' kind, that is air activated. If you take them out of their sealed containers, they start to get warm. That can be a problem, as I've had some that didn't work in the field when I really needed them! [shivering icon here]

Tom, I've used Grabber Mycoal ("Heat Treat") warmers with no problem. They shouldn't be opened until they are ready to be used, as they are designed for use in places where oxygen is restricted (i.e. inside of a shoe, etc.). I started using them last year, both the hand warmers and foot warmers (haven't tried the toe warmers), and have had no problems with them.

Tom Rankin said:
That can be a problem, as I've had some that didn't work in the field when I really needed them! [shivering icon here]
This kind of scares me--I prefer not to rely on something to protect my feet that might fail. If people are using heat packs to enable them to use otherwise inadequate footwear, then it is a rather dangerous deal, IMO. (Yes, I have seen reports to the effect that some still have cold feet/hands problems even when they appear to be using adequate insulation.)

If you do rely on heat packs, I suggest that you bring enough for an unplanned night out or two plus enough spares to cover any failures. Better yet, figure out how not to need them, if possible.

Doug

DougPaul said:
This kind of scares me--I prefer not to rely on something to protect my feet that might fail. If people are using heat packs to enable them to use otherwise inadequate footwear, then it is a rather dangerous deal, IMO. (Yes, I have seen reports to the effect that some still have cold feet/hands problems even when they appear to be using adequate insulation.)

If you do rely on heat packs, I suggest that you bring enough for an unplanned night out or two plus enough spares to cover any failures. Better yet, figure out how not to need them, if possible.

Doug

I've only used them for my hands, as I have Raynaud's Syndrome, but I make sure I have a LOT of them in my pack!

How long are these little heat packs good for in storage? I have some seveal years old that I keep in my winter pack "just in case". I never used them and only had them as a quick little emergency warm-up, but never felt I had to use them. Some of them might be 5 years old. Do you think they still work?

BorealChickadee said:
How long are these little heat packs good for in storage? I have some seveal years old that I keep in my winter pack "just in case". I never used them and only had them as a quick little emergency warm-up, but never felt I had to use them. Some of them might be 5 years old. Do you think they still work?

I've never had them for that long, but I read somewhere that they had a four-year shelf life. The list of ingredients are iron powder, water, activated carbon, cellulose and salt. Maybe someone can comment on the likelihood of lasting longer.

Mycoal foot warmer insoles

I might be a bit confused here with using the hand warmers and toe warmers.
We just buy the Grabber Mycoal insoles.
The company already sells a foot warmer insole. My wife and her girlfriend use them on their winter hikes. You just take out whatever insole you have and slip these inside. They are rated for 5+ hrs.
Even though the hikes last longer they have found them to do the trick for them.
They are specifically designed for low oxygen use.
I would imagine if your footwear were roomy enough you could just slip these in on top or underneath the existing insole.

Shelf Life

The heat packs (Mycoal Grabber) have an expiration date marked on the package. I have found them to lose effectiveness after the marked date. They will also not work if the package has been broken, say by excessive folding or a puncture. I store mine in a plastic bag and change them every few hikes. (I also use them when downhill skiing where it is easy to carry extras, so I can be more liberal in changing the hiking set.)

The MyCoal Grabbers will last about 3-4 years shelf life as manufacturer suggests, but I would inspect the storage bags.
A spent package will feel solid instead of granular.

For the record:
I only use these to feel comfortable, not a necessity by a long shot, and not always used every time I go out either.
Some comments here suggest that I find a better way to stay warm.
That usually results in simple frequent sock changes for me, not a problem.
Don't assume that I plan to hike into a vulnerable area and then become stranded or something because my feet got cold.

These are simple devices that just "take the edge off" and make an otherwise brutally cold day more fun and enjoyable. :)
I'm not looking to cross the South Pole or anything! :eek:

About the other Mycoal Grabber lines
There are many sizes and types of heat units available, but I found the simple, cheaper handwarmers to work great with a modified insole as my suggestion.
I have tried most of the other models, toe warmers, heat soles, ect, but all last only 5 hrs. and cost a bit more.

Hey, for a buck a day....I have toasty feet. Why suffer?

BTW, Iditarod professionals have boots which have pockets designed into the soles for these heat units.
That is where I got the idea. :rolleyes: