Cold weather sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nadine said:
Thanks for all your help DougPaul.

I saw BobandGeri's note about the 20% off EMS deal also being online. I just rechecked the web site and they now list a minus 20 down bag in the 6 foot length for 299. Weight 4 lbs. I'm going to order one early tomorrow when I get up.
Just noticed the listing myself.

BTW, the sale begins at 4pm Thurs for club members and Fri for everyone.

You're welcome and good luck.

Doug

FYI - The EMS web site is updated showing the 20% off Upgrade Your Gear event has begun! Looks like you can order online as of this morning.

bobandgeri said:
Okay - so if we can only purchase 1 Winter bag, and price is not a primary issue would you opt for a -40 bag over a -20 so you are all set for colder temps, just in case.

No. I'd just be sure my bag is wide enough to wear extra clothing inside, just in case. Check out this description: Peregrine

bobandgeri said:
FYI - The EMS web site is updated showing the 20% off Upgrade Your Gear event has begun! Looks like you can order online as of this morning.

Just be careful- I went to place an order and although it states that its 20% off from today, when you get to the screen that shows the total order cost plus shipping I don't see 20% taken off the item so.....I didn't place the order.

Also doesn't say- or I didn't see- that the amount would be adjusted after you place the order........

Unless the prices shown reflect the 20% discusount already??

Last edited:
Tuco said:
Just be careful- I went to place an order and although it states that its 20% off from today, when you get to the screen that shows the total order cost plus shipping I don't see 20% taken off the item so.....I didn't place the order.

Also doesn't say- or I didn't see- that the amount would be adjusted after you place the order........

I'd just call them and place the order over the phone - to be safe.

bobandgeri said:
Okay - so if we can only purchase 1 Winter bag, and price is not a primary issue would you opt for a -40 bag over a -20 so you are all set for colder temps, just in case.

I would and did. I really don't see any downside with a warmer bag as (IMHO) temp ratings between 0 and -40 are suspect to begin with. Having said that, a winter tent is probably 5 - 10 degrees warmer inside, VBL's can be used, extra clothes, pads, etc can be used, but I'd rather open the -40 bag in those conditions, regardless.

Thanks- I did this and the sale starts 4pm on Friday.

FYI-The rep said it was an error posting the sale was as of today, they supposedly took it down last night. I may be looking at a cached version of the page, so it still shows for me as 20% off as of today. For her it did not. The prices shown now do not reflect the 20% off.

bobandgeri said:
I'd just call them and place the order over the phone - to be safe.

DougPaul said:
When I asked at a store a week or two ago, I was told that it starts at 4pm on Thurs for club members and Fri, Sat, and Sun for everyone.

I'm sure you are right- we didn't discuss members since I am not one

I got it!!!!

Yippee!!! I now own a minus 20 EMS down sleeping bag :) :)

Many thanks to all of you who offered advice and input. I'm so lucky to be a part of this wonderful family of hikers. We each have expertise and experience to share in many areas, and I thank you all for taking the time to share that with me.

Let's bring on the cold and snow so I can try my new bag out :D

Nadine

Last edited:
Marmot sleeping bag

Any input on the Marmot 5 degree Snowy Range bag? It is on sale at Sierra trading post for $199 (long).

like madtownie - I have the darkstar as well and got it at the oultet - probably a 2000-2001 version - I don't use it that often as it is a warm bag and quite heavy - but its nice on those below freezing nites.