Coleman fuel question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Quick question for the techies out there:

Does Coleman fuel (e.g. "white gas") outdate? I have a couple of gallons that are over 10 years old and want to know if I should get rid of it. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Here's your answer, stinky. This is from coleman, so trust it's a tad conservative. I do a lot of coleman refurbishing and have had lanterns light after 20 years of being on a shelf. I would advise against it though. The detritus that accumulates in the fuel is more hazardous to your gear than the age of the fuel.

From Coleman.com FAQ page-
"An un-opened container of Coleman® Fuel stored in a dry area with no rapid extreme changes in temperature will remain viable for five to seven years. An opened container stored in the same area will remain viable for up to two years though will be at its best if used within a year."

I seem to have a similar pile of old cans and don't know what to do with them. In my experience, it may depend on what you are doing with it. After much trial and error, I have decided that my whisperlight is fussy, and does better and burns cleaner with "fresh" fuel. However, the classic coleman double burner for car camping fired up after being stored for maybe 20 years, and seems to burn anything, including fuel 5-10 or many more years old.

Gasoline (and that's what White Gas/Coleman fuel is, very clean unleaded gasoline) will "varnish" over time. Those deposits and varishes will clog up jets in a fuel injector or MSR stove. 10 year old white gas would be trouble in your stove. You might pour small portions of it into your car gas tank over time where it can be diluted by fresh gas.

-dave-

As I understand it, Coleman fuel and white gas are actually slightly different. Strictly speaking, white gas is (motor fuel) gasoline without the addidtives, Coleman fuel is a special blend for camping stoves. See http://www.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.html for a bit more detail (and list of international names for fuels--they vary significantly).

IIRC, white gas used to be readily available. Haven't seen it recently. (But then I don't need any... :) )

As others have noted, over time the Coleman fuel and the gasolines will deposit varnish. I have had cans of Coleman fuel over 10yrs old with no noticeable deposits. (Stored indoors in the cellar, so the temps were cool and stable.) YMMV.

As Dave noted, the best way to get rid of old Coleman fuel is to put it in your car gas tank in small amounts, say a quart or less per tankful of car gas.

Doug

I think they do ...I have seen it offered in cans about a quart in size...just don't remember if it was here in the "States"

One can find white gas in a variety of sizes if you don't mind buying non-coleman brands. Quarts and half gallons are fairly common in small general stores throughout new england, with the suitable markup. Personally, as a coleman freak, I have no problems burning through a gallon in less than two years.

Check with your local Municipal Authority. Where I live, the MUA has several hazardous waste disposal dates where you can get rid of things like old coleman fuel, etc.

I had always read that White gas is less volatile than RUG, due to the lack of additives, but it was my understanding that varnishing occurred on the metal in the container that it was stored in, so if it is sitting inside a 1 gallon coleman can, Wouldn't you still be able to use it in a white gas appliance?
I am not a scientist, but here are my anecdotal thoughts

I would definitely strain it throught a piece of cheesecloth or old bandanna.

I have had no problems using 7-8 year old cans of coleman in my W-Light, Coleman lantern and Coleman Dual Fuel stove.
2 years ago, I got a half empty gallon of coleman from my fathers garage that had been there since at least the late 80's. I dumped it in with another fresher 1/4 filled gallon can (filtered it) and had no problems (I am about 2/3 of the way through this "new" gallon - If there was a noticeable lack of heat, it wasn't enough that I found issue with it.

I did put a full fresh gallon of coleman into my 3/4 empty gas tank of my pickup during the July '95 microburst in the adirondacks when the power was out and I was worried about running out of fuel trying to get back to Rochester - it was about a 5/1 gas to white gas ratio and never noticed anything unusual.. Of course, I don't know how wise this was...

This stuff is flammable like a bomb. Unless you have access to a fume hood and a guaranteed spark free, flame free (not in your basement with anything with a pilot light) don't keep it. Break down and spend the 26 bucks or whatever at Wallyworld for a fresh gallon or smaller.

If you do have access to a fume hood, then pour it through 3" bed of oven dried 250 micron silica gel.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
This stuff is flammable like a bomb. Unless you have access to a fume hood and a guaranteed spark free, flame free (not in your basement with anything with a pilot light) don't keep it. Break down and spend the 26 bucks or whatever at Wallyworld for a fresh gallon or smaller.

If you do have access to a fume hood, then pour it through 3" bed of oven dried silica gel.

more like 6 bucks. The stuff's cheap.
And as said, volatile. I keep only what I need, and outside at that.
Someday my porch will burst into flame while I'm playing with an old 426B, 200a, svea, or msr xgk, etc, but it's better than my basement or bedroom.

About eight years ago I had to call Coleman from Acadia because my stove had varnished up on the interior of the tank. I was told that this is prevalent in stoves that are stored in unheated garages and subject to freezing cycles. It was recommended to me to store the stove in the house year round.....So after having to buy a new stove I now store it in the house year around as advised but I also burn off what's left in the tank before winter and start fresh each summer. This is with my 2 burner car camping stove. My backpacking stove just stays in the house and since it gets used four seasons I just keep refilling it. My stoves sit primly on the shelf in the foyer closet for all my guests to marvel at when they hang up their coats. Who the heck is this nut who has stoves and things called bear cans in her closet????

Thanks for all the answers! I won't use it in the stove then; however, there is a big brush/burn pile in the back yard that might need a little help getting going...

:D

Pyro.Stinky

Stinkyfeet said:
Thanks for all the answers! I won't use it in the stove then; however, there is a big brush/burn pile in the back yard that might need a little help getting going...
Be careful--fumes can travel along the ground and the flame can travel to unexpected places rather quickly...

ex-pyro.Doug