Colorado Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Hi All, I am headed out to Colorado for a few days, and have the weekend free to do whatever. I would like to do some hiking or walking at least, but I will be solo. Any ideas or suggestions? I will be in Denver on Friday, but other than that I have no plans, or reservations, so I can travel, IF I can get a rental car...
Thanks! Christine

Well, it is going to be cold in the Rockies, still, and I know that they just got a pretty good snowstorm in the mountains a few weeks ago. So, if you wanted to go hit the high peaks, you will need full winter gear most likely.

However, Moab is only a 6 hour drive from Denver, and the Canyonlands should be really nice right now. That is probably what I would do.

If you want up-to-date conditions, I would recommend that you post this question over at http://www.whiteblaze.net and ask those people. I know of a few on that site that live in Boulder and go hiking around there year round.

Unless you're gonna pack all of your winter gear, you'll have to stay in the lower elevations. There's good hiking near Boulder. Golden Gate State Park west of Boulder is nice. Red Rock(?) near Evergreen (west of Denver) is also quite nice. You could spend an entire day in Garden of the Gods, near Colorado Springs. Depending on the elevation of the snow, you could hike up to Barr Camp on Pikes Peak. The trailhead is in Manitou Springs, west of Colorado Springs. The trailhead is at 6,700', and the camp is at 10,200'.

I would second Chomp's suggestion of heading to Utah . . . the conditions will be more favorable to hiking without dealing with the logistics of gear. Even in late June of 2004, we had to navigate quite a bit of snow up high on Handies and Long's Peak and even some snow on Elbert so in April you will likely encounter quite a bit of winter conditions. Also there is so much to do in Utah . . . you can even rent a mountain bike out there as I hear there is great biking to be had in Moab. Have fun !!!

sli74

Go To Moab. It can get chilli at night this time of year. 2 years ago I woke up to snow on the cacti. That was pretty strange. I know Dillon county area has had the best snow they have had in years. Do you ski?

Longs peak

Longs peak is a hot tip. The drive to Estes Park is about two hours and driving through Thomsons Pass is just spectacular. The Key Hole route makes for a very long day and you have to start early to avoid afternoon storms. A friendlier ojective would be to get to the boulder field at 11,000 ft. There are wonderful views of the famed Diamond rock face. Enjoy Reekee

Last edited:
Reekee said:
Longs peak is a hot tip. The drive to Estes Park is about two hours and driving through Thomsons Pass is just spectacular. The Key Hole route makes for a very long day and you have to start early to avoid afternoon storms. A friendlier ojective would be to get to the boulder field at 11,000 ft. There are wonderful view of the famed Diamond rock face. Enjoy Reekee

I attempted Long's Peak the first week of July in 2004 and I got up to the Keyhole before being turned back by conditions that required crampons, ice axe and rope . . . I was solo and couldn't proceed and since Christine is going soon (April) AND I am guessing she will also be solo, I wouldn't attempt Longs during this trip though it is a SPECTACULAR area and a well deserved visit . . .

sli74

Now you are talking

Sun is strong so don't be swayed by temps but acclimatization will most likely hold you back if you have only a few days.

A nice hike is up at Brainard Lake TH just north of Nederland which is about 20 miles west of Boulder. (Ned...the best place on Earth IMHO) up to St Vrain's Glaciers. Its not biggie mileage wise but doable for a lowlander in terms of being at about 9000 ft. Great scenery and a nice trail. Anywhere in Indian Peaks is good.

Boulder Canyon and the Flat Irons offer good easy day hikes.

I haven't been out towards Mt Evans way but that might be doable from Denver.

Hopefully Sierra will be along soon to fill in the gaps.

PM me if you'd like details on hikes in Indian Peaks Wilderness -- closer to Denver than RMNP and Ned is to Estes Park what desolation is to tourist trap.

Sabrina

sli74 said:
I attempted Long's Peak the first week of July in 2004 and I got up to the Keyhole before being turned back by conditions that required crampons, ice axe and rope . . . I was solo and couldn't proceed and since Christine is going soon (April) AND I am guessing she will also be solo, I wouldn't attempt Longs during this trip though it is a SPECTACULAR area and a well deserved visit . . .

sli74
Belive it or not we had a snow storm at the summit in August! You're right, after the Key hole it can get a bit funky if conditions are questionable. To get to the Boulder field however is a pretty straight forward and safe objective in any conditions. Ever going back?

The Twin Sisters is on the Border of RMNP and is only around 11K and pretty accessable as I remember. Other areas of the park wouldn't be as easy to get to. Trail Ridge road doesn't even open until late May. You'll definitely run into snow no matter where you go.
I spoke with one of our reps out there the other day and he said the high peaks have had a ton of snow and April is one of their biggest snow months.

At the risk of being a litle off-topic...

why not just ski? I headed to Nederland a couple years ago when I had a half a day off from a meeting in Denver in April, best 6 hours I ever spent. I agree with Unadogger, extremely beautiful place. I DH skied, but I'm sure there are plenty of XC opportunities too.
Weatherman

I'm sitting in a meeting in Boulder and looking out the window. There's even some snow on the foothills up the canyon - anything higher than 8000 or 9000 feet is going to be full winter conditions.
I'd stay low - Boulder Canyon and Garden of the Gods are both great suggestions.

As a resident of Boulder, I can attest that there's still A LOT of snow in the mountains. Depending on your equipment, you will probably want to stick with Front Range (lower elevation) hikes. Brainerd Lake (~10,500') isn't a bad idea, but anything more is definitely out, if nothing other than acclimation reasons. Longs Peaks? Forget it - avalanche danger and altitude would conspire against you.

How much time will you have?

arm said:
this Colorado Fourteeners site has a map you can click on to find out about 14K' peaks:
Colorado Fourteeners Map

Evans and Bierstadt are two of the easier 14K' peaks, not a bad drive from Denver

Gerry Roach's guidebooks (Colorado's Fourteeners, Colorado's Thirteeners) are excellent

Yes, but with the avalanche danger in April, there's no way I would try a 14er without full-on winter gear, avy gear, and at least one other person. I was up around 12,000 last weekend and it's still quite serious up there.
Definitely a great suggestion, but not appropriate for probably at least another month (or two). I just don't want somebody going up high unaware!

Shameless book plug

If you plan on spending more time in CO eventually, my pick would be
John Fielder's Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas.

You'll get all the fourteeners plus very good info on combining the CDT and the Colorado Trail into day and multi day circuit hikes.

Great pics, ecology, and history, too.

FWIW

Sabrina

flat irons

there is a hikers trail up the flatirons to spectacular views.search climbingboulder.com for aproaches.

Mttop said:
there is a hikers trail up the flatirons to spectacular views.search climbingboulder.com for aproaches.

I used to live out there, though some time ago. The flatirons trail is an excellent suggestion. Possibly some of the trails in Rocky Mountain National Park (?) though it's a longer drive to get there. It's been way too many years, and I don't know how these hikes would work in the winter (maybe others living in the area could respond), but I seem to recall Loch Vail, Lake Helene, Glass Pond (or was it Sky Pond?), and Sand Lake as being nice destinations. The higher peaks are great suggestions, but for a later season, unless you're acclimated and prepared for winter conditions. Altitude and avalanches are factors not to be taken lightly.

WOW! This is great. Until this morning I thought my sister, who used to live in Boulder, would be joining me, so I didn't do ANY planning. Now I need to figure out what to do. Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming, I will try to figure out stuff tonight. I don't have any hotel reservations, so staying away from Denver is posiable. I will keep checking!