Congressman finishes NH 4K

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mohammed's site might be helpful to you in answering questions related to peakbagging.

J

David Metsky said:
You can't get the same peak twice on one hike.... The only part that requires a bit of interpretation is whether climbing to the col and back up would count as another climb of the mountain
"twice on a hike"? - is there any reason why anyone would want to count the same peak more than once?

Stan said:
Cool avatar, Ken
this GIF stuff is fun - i wish i could draw, then i could do some really neat stuff with the GIFs

Stan said:
but your collection is incomplete without the NE 100 Highest.
even with the hundred highest it would still be incomplete (i left out some that i have) there are others still to be had - i think my next will be for the long path north.

Last edited:
sierra said:
Dave M,
Maybe I misread or mis-understood your last post, but you sated each climb must start from the road, I was under the impression you could link summitts so long as you started and ended at a trailhead, ie. you can bag all the presidentials doing a traverse, starting at the valley way, ending down Webster cliff, they would all count, would they not?
You are correct, multiple peaks in a single hike are explicitly allowed. My point (which I didn't make very well) was that everytime you cross a road or hit a trailhead you are in a sense starting a new "climb". That way you could do multiple "climbs" in a dayhike, or over a long multi-day hike. In each "climb" you could count every peak you summit once.

For example, I've climbed Moosilauke from the Ravine Lodge, went down the Benton trail to the trailhead, then bushwacked up Little Tunnel Brook Ravine and headed back to the Lodge. This would count as two hikes up Moosilauke since I hit a trailhead in the middle of the hike, reseting the clock.

If I went up Falling Waters to Lincoln and Lafayette, then back to Lincoln and down Falling Waters, this would only count as one "climb" since I didn't hit a trailhead before going back up Lincoln. I could only count Lincoln once.

I don't think this is a major factor, but it was fun to spend some time on. I don't know why people would want to count a mountain twice on a dayhike, but people spend a lot of time worrying about peakbagging.

-dave-

hey

Thanks Dave for the clarification, I have completed the 4k and was pretty sure I was on track, but it was along day and your post threw me. I just was making sure, thanks again for your reply. :D

I have heard of a case where someone is bagging peaks by camping near the summit on the last day of the month, then climbing to top on both days to count the peak for each month (someone working on the 48-12's). This is what happens when list bagging is left to individual "exactions" (word used in one the replies above).

Dr. D hit on one of several reasons why peak baggers might want to count a summit twice in that manner. Another is for seasonal lists, for example, "ending" and "starting" before and after the winter solstice counts the peak in fall and winter. Same with someone keeping a day and night list. Others may have lists for normal hikes and naked hikes. There is no end to the weirdness that could ensue from such technicalities.

... hmmm ... it's kind of early for cabin fever.

Stan said:
Dr. D hit on one of several reasons why peak baggers might want to count a summit twice in that manner. Another is for seasonal lists, for example, "ending" and "starting" before and after the winter solstice counts the peak in fall and winter.
Actually you have it backwards, it would count for neither season if your hike spanned the solstice since the hike would not be made entirely in either season. Similarly I personally don't feel it would count for either month, but there seem to be people who like to invent their own rules and then expect the rest of the world to automatically agree :)

RoySwkr said:
I personally don't feel it would count for either month, but there seem to be people who like to invent their own rules and then expect the rest of the world to automatically agree :)
if the comittees don't give out anything for 4 season, 12X, 48X, etc. it should be alright for them to make thier own rules... as long as it is for thier own satisfaction and there is no type of official recognition - but in the future they may be upset if the comitte should decide to officially recognize these feats and the rules set forth don't match the ones that were used - then they will have to hike the ones not don'e properly over again if they want to "legally" qualify for a certificate.

Last edited:
Roy, it would count in both seasons if someone started at one trailhead, climbed the peak, descended to another trailhead ... all before the winter solstice ... waited a few minutes for the solstice to pass, then returned by the same route. One hike. Two bags. Man, I'll bet this opens up a whole new world of peakbagging opportunity! :)

Case and point....

"The FTFC's is run on the honor system and always was run this way." It's eveident that any joe shmoe could make up his own set of rules in his attempt at finishing the list. But in the end, its his written and spoken words that is the ONLY determining factor in completion of the list.

When the FTFC was 1st established, one would send in their list of dates along with trails hiked, and conditions for that day. THEN the FTFC would send you back a peak to write an essay on to determine if one was "really ever there." This practice was stopped because of the increase in people finishing this and other lists.

There are many controversial issues surrounding the rules of the FTFC. But they are in essence stated VERY clearly and are easy to follow. Hike TO and FROM each summit on foot. When you get into solstices and issues of the like, your getting a bit out of control. Everyone enjoys their adventure differently, and in the end its all one big story. The honor system may not be the BEST way to go about it, but its most efficient at this time in the ball game.

What I would be more concerned about is not WHEN someone hikes to and from a summit.. beause in my opinion.. as long as someone makes it back to the car.. it counts... but these ignorant fools who have a problem reading the rules. "TO AND FROM ON FOOT." The people who ride their bikes down the flatter trails to get closer to a trail junction in the woods is ridiculous. What if we all built a parking lot off of the auto road about halfway up... drove to it, got out, and then hiked the rest of the way to the summit? Ah.. lest we see... the rules are so very vague and this debate on all of these issues shall press on WELL before even my time on this earth has expired.

Sherpa John :confused:

one more thing...

I met jeb bradley to interview him for the film "48". I prefer to NOT post my thoughts on this board, but if anyone wishes to hear them... send me an e-mail. lol.

ok ok.. happy hiking all!

RoySwkr said:
Actually you have it backwards, it would count for neither season if your hike spanned the solstice since the hike would not be made entirely in either season. Similarly I personally don't feel it would count for either month, but there seem to be people who like to invent their own rules and then expect the rest of the world to automatically agree :)

Personally, if a hike crosses a seasonal boundary, I count it for the "easier" season, e.g. I started a trip to the Kinsmans in Spring and finished in Summer so it didn't count as my first four season peak (I still haven't done a "Spring" trip to the Kinsmans).

Not sure what to think about the 48-12 person camping near the summit on the last day of the month. I count two ascents of West Bond while camping at Guyot on the night in between for purposes of my peronal hiking journal but wouldn't count it for the 48-12 (it was July 29th and 30th so it wasn't an issue this time).