Congressman finishes NH 4K

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hopefully the film shows him explaining to Tim Seaver that you aren't done until you get back to the road :)" from earlier posting.

Tim was just playing the game by Cave Dog's rules, but was smarter to end on Owls Head rather than Waumbek........

ken said:
i doubt if the congressman submitted his application yet since you aren't really finished until you get back to the road, and after that it has to be "processed" - i'm sure that he was just handed a patch as a photo op. for andy & himself - it would have been a lot nicer for us to see a photo of andy at the top with the congressman and gene handing him the patch (even if it had to be a seperate picture with gene at the parking area handing him his patch).

How did we know he didn't ride the tram to the summit, hike down and then hike back up to finish??? Nothing in the rules about that. :rolleyes:

I've also done the 48 multiple times and have never filed. My memory is quite sufficient to keep track of those hikes in my head. Through regular hiking I've just about finished the 67 and it's really not hard to keep that many hikes in my memory.

It's not that hard to memorize the capitols of 50 states, do you think that 48 mountain peaks is a difficult task?

-dave-

Look, take it for what it's worth. I was, pure and simple, a photo op - no more, no less. The patch was a perfect prop. Maybe he got to keep it. Does it really matter? Seems like a whole lot of whinin goin on.... :rolleyes:

Jasonst said:
Seems like a whole lot of whinin goin on.... :rolleyes:
we are whinin' cause we're NOT hikin'!
(some of us have to work for a livin')
a wet rainy day hiking is better than any day at work

ken said:
we are whinin' cause we're NOT hikin'!
(some of us have to work for a livin')
a wet rainy day hiking is better than any day at work

I agree :( This workin for a livin isn't all it's cracked up to be ;)

Jasonst said:
Look, take it for what it's worth. I was, pure and simple, a photo op - no more, no less. The patch was a perfect prop. Maybe he got to keep it. Does it really matter? Seems like a whole lot of whinin goin on.... :rolleyes:

For those who still care, here's the scoop:

As a matter of principle, Rep. Bradley was not given any special treatment by the Four Thousand Footer Committee for the reasons of fairness alluded to by others. The Committee does not promote but neither can it reasonably prevent the practice whereby a friend procures a patch for someone who is finishing. In this case, Andy Falender (or someone else at AMC HQ) apparently chose to act as such a 'friend' to Bradley. I do hope he will fill out an official application which will among other things, entitle him to receive the scroll that can only be obtained by submitting an application. And technically, he is not a member of the Club until he does.

BTW Souter never filled out an official application and there is some uncertainty as to whether he actually has done all 48 (anyone know for sure?)

Jasonst said:
I agree :( This workin for a livin isn't all it's cracked up to be ;)
i know... we should collect our pension from 20 till 60, and then go to work after that - - that way we can enjoy our days while we are still "healthy"... when we get too old to do everything that we enjoy, then we should start work from 60 'till we die.

Hi Eric, welcome to VFTT - (this is what we do while we wait for the weekend to come and we can go hiking again).

Last edited:
ken said:
i know... we should collect our pension from 20 till 60, and then go to work after that - - that way we can enjoy our days while we are still "healthy"... when we get too old to do everything that we enjoy, then we should start work from 60 'till we die.

I was going to "retire" at 30 and see the world while I was young and fit! Then go back to work at, say, 50! Well I got married at 28 -- the best laid plans.....

Fred

patch

You got to be kidding me!!!!!!! :mad: I waited, I dont know how long for my patch, boy does this burn me up!!!!!!!! Didnt even descend before he got it, whats the number of the 4k commitee, Im going all the way to the top with this, Ive had it, I descended my last peak in the rain, mud, no fan fair just my dog looking at me kind of funny was all the glory I recieved.
Ok Im not really mad, good for him for doing them all ;) Politics at work, Im not surprised, but life is short, I wont hold it against him, under one condition, that he did eventually walk down, not ride down the tram with his buddies. :confused:

maineguy said:
How did we know he didn't ride the tram to the summit, hike down and then hike back up to finish??? Nothing in the rules about that. :rolleyes:

Actually, there is, although admittedly it's one of the more obscure technicalities that doesn't get into the usual list of major rules. Although you can get as many peaks as you want on a trip, it must be on one continuous trip (no limit on the number of days though). [Someone else had suggested they could ride up Mt. Washington and hike over to Mt. Monroe because they had previously climbed Washington.]

Eric Savage said:
[Someone else had suggested they could ride up Mt. Washington and hike over to Mt. Monroe because they had previously climbed Washington.]
in the 5 page letter from the comittee (the one that comes with the peaks list) it states: "a hiker must climb by foot to and from each summit on the list, the comittee scowls at the thought of snowmobiles, bikes, ski lifts, railways, or cars on summit auto roads for all or part of either ascent or descent, but regarding fine points of peakbagging ethics each hiker is left to the exactions of his/her conscience".

ok - that means to me that you shouldnt use the auto road or anything else for your ascent/descent of the mountain with the road (washington)... once the guy mentioned above goes down washington to the col, isn't he now starting to climb another mountain?

how about the wildcats - you come up from the glen boulder parking area, go up over wildcat "e", "d", etc.to "a" and then back over "d" a second time - "d" qualified the first time, then "a" qualified, now you have to go over "d" a second time (but it didn't count for anything the second time) would it be ok to see if they would give you a ride down on the chair lift if it was running for skiing or sightseeing that day, since now you have another 4000 footer between you and the last qualifying peak?
or would that be the part that "is left to the exactions of his/her conscience".

Last edited:
Cool avatar, Ken but your collection is incomplete without the NE 100 Highest.

My conscience would suggest that neither scenario you mentioned would be acceptable. Doing we need lawyers to interpret these rules, too?

A climb is from the road/trailhead to the summit and back. If you cross a road or reach a trailhead you can count it as another hike, anything else is part of the same hike. You must be on foot/ski/snowshoe the entire hike. You can't get the same peak twice on one hike.

Seems pretty straightforward.

-dave-

Dave

Please post a link to the "rules" which so clearly spell this out.

maineguy said:
Dave

Please post a link to the "rules" which so clearly spell this out.
Link I think that covers all the cases listed above.

The rules have been clarified by Gene and others on the Committee over the years through various verbal and message board communications, but the FAQ basically covers that.

The only part that requires a bit of interpretation is whether climbing to the col and back up would count as another climb of the mountain, but it's been made pretty clear that each complete climb must include starting at a road or trailhead.

The logging road issue is another kettle of fish that I'm staying out of.

-dave-

cols

Dave M,
Maybe I misread or mis-understood your last post, but you sated each climb must start from the road, I was under the impression you could link summitts so long as you started and ended at a trailhead, ie. you can bag all the presidentials doing a traverse, starting at the valley way, ending down Webster cliff, they would all count, would they not?

sierra said:
Dave M,
Maybe I misread or mis-understood your last post, but you sated each climb must start from the road, I was under the impression you could link summitts so long as you started and ended at a trailhead, ie. you can bag all the presidentials doing a traverse, starting at the valley way, ending down Webster cliff, they would all count, would they not?

Dave said that they have to end at "a" road, not necessarily the one you started from.

col

jasonst,
The part of his post I questioned was where he stated "each" climb had to start a "a" road, not a col, when doing a traverse each climb after the first starts a col, thats what I was referring to.