Could/Would you walk or bike to work if it was safer ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Could/Would you walk or bike to work if it was safer

• Absolutely ! I've been waiting for safer corridors for ever !

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • No. It's too far, regardless

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I already do, regardless of safty

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I could/would on occassion, maybe once or twice a week

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
At night, you're definitely more visible than the dusk/dawn time.. especially with sun glare. I would adjust my departure time during the time when the sun is just rising so I could make sure I was past or before a certain area that would affect my bike to work.

I think there is also a hint of weirdness when, as a driver, you see a well-lit up cyclist, so the fear of the unknown, kind of thing.

Jay

fixed it for 'ya.

:D I should rewire the horns so they can be individually turned on or off and then I can wire up some turn signals... :)

As far as night riding goes, I have a set of Schwalbe Marathons on my Salsa and it has reflective sidewalls. Everybody that I know who has a pair say they are awesome at night, much better than those CPSC reflectors on the spokes that I have used before.

Jay

I ride to work in decent weather (not in winter), and after being a bike commuter in Boston, New Hampshire is a piece of cake.

I am not so brave as Blue, and would not care to face Boston traffic on a bike on a regular basis. Extending the bike paths, or creating better bike lanes would probably get me to ride on occasion instead of taking the T.

fwiw, bike and pedestrian paths aren't just about commuting to work or recreation. My in-laws live just outside of Charlotte, and while there is a small shopping complex just a half-mile from their doorstep, my M-i-L can't/won't even buy milk without getting in the car because there are no sidewalks, no crosswalks, and the traffic lights aren't set up to allow anyone to walk across the road safely.

RE: Lights

My experience as a driver is that there have been scary times when I really could not see a bicyclist at night with or without lights on windy, hilly roads. During the day I can usually would have seen them some point earlier. But it's those little batteries can't compete with generator in cars providing the oncoming headlights.

A bicycle's light would have to be pretty bright to see the spill from around a tree-lined corner or cresting a hill. And let's not think about adding fog, rain, or snow to the mix.

At least that's been my experience on these semi-rural (and sometimes quite busy) roads.

Don't know. I've only ridden with lights on.

Obviously a joke... but during the harvest season it's reasonably common to see (hopefully see!) bikes without lights at night. Fortunately for the riders, they are almost always riding on a straight road when the traffic is light, and the locals know to expect them... and give them a wide berth.

A bicycle's light would have to be pretty bright to see the spill from around a tree-lined corner or cresting a hill. And let's not think about adding fog, rain, or snow to the mix.

I have to say that my current system gets a lot of cars to dim their high beams much sooner than my old system. I am currently using Dinotte 400L

Tim

I voted "absolutely" but the safety and sweat concerns are not trivial. Fortunately it's moot for me right now because I am a "remote employee" working out of a home office, but if I could bike 30 - 60 minutes to an employer's office on a safe path, that would be better than working at home.

As it is they used Fed funding to draw stick figures of a bicycle on a narrow silt covered shoulder of a state road that passes nearby and put up some bike route signs. It's a complete farce; I don't feel safe walking in the weeds next to the road, let alone biking on the shoulder. It has a pretty good bike safety record because no one bikes on it. Unfortunately the safety record for motorists driving off the section of road near my house is quite tragic.

In the most non-political way I can put it, the various distractions of modern life (for modern drivers) make it very difficult to constuct a safe bikeway that is not physically shielded from the motorized traffic in some way.

But it's those little batteries can't compete with generator in cars providing the oncoming headlights.

Beg to differ. There have been times when I've been blinded by a cyclist's light. They can be plenty bright enough and some riders just aren't careful about pointing them down at the road, especially in locales where the streetlights are sufficient to see where they're going and they're using the headlight more as a marker.

Did a slow easy test ride on Sunday and will do my first commute tomorrow. :cool: My triceps are a little sore.

So far so good. The ride home is up hill but I plan to stop half way to pick up some beer for my reward. :)

Car & truck noise is bothersome. I also learned not to look at rocks on the shoulder.

I was always told to look where you want to go, not at obstacles you want to avoid... At least as a MTB'r. Certainly seems to work most of the time... I usually can't help if I see a pretty girl running by or so, but in general, I try to keep focused on the path ahead.

Hopefully the beer place is on top of the hill!

Jay

I have thought about it, but I got in an accident once that almost killed me, and don't really want to take that risk again. I really shouldn't ride (at least where there is traffic) for the same reasons I shouldn't drive.

Fortunately, I now have a walking commute to work. Can't beat that!

A bicycle's light would have to be pretty bright to see the spill from around a tree-lined corner or cresting a hill.
I have had complaints about how bright my lights are...

While my main light is on my handlebars, I also have a small light on my helmet that I can shine at an oncoming driver (perhaps approaching from a side street) to make sure he sees me.

IMO, good lights are essential for safe night riding, particularly if you ride in areas with poor lighting. (One of my bigger hazards in night riding is pedestrians in dark clothing and no reflectors or lights--they are very hard to see unless you have good lights.)

Doug

25 miles & no showers at work. In my 20's & early 30's on occasion when I was just 14 miles away I would ride if going in on a Saturday & was virtually the only one in.

In CT, commuting to Hartford, only public option is the bus from commter lots from the burbs but some local buses if within 10 miles of the city. No bike racks or shelter for bikes at the commuter lots either.

Last edited:
I meant versus in daylight, referring to my earlier post, which perhaps you missed. Or, are you saying you ride with your lights on in broad daylight?
Went back and saw it, but no. I really don't find a difference. in the way they treat me at night or day, although if you are finding that they are giving you more room, it may be that, at night, it is harder for them to judge distances.