Coyotes: Followed by a pack in Belknaps. Anyone else ever have an issue with them?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Bear - thanks for that report. In addition to the report from your Mom, I was struck by your comment about the changes taking place with the coyotes. I am far from expert or even well educated on the matter, but I have strong sense that the nature of the populations is very much in flux. Perhaps some great variations in genetic stock and some fairly rapid sorting out of the gene pool.

I had some interesting conversation one night on the trail in Northern Vermont. There were some locals at the shelter and their stories centered around great variability in the behavior of coyotes. For example, one woman who had sheep said that she'd lived at peace with a group of coyotes nearby. She had some dogs that were typically out with the sheep and that seemed to be enough. Then some folks shot those coyotes and a new group of coyotes moved in and she started finding dead sheep. People seemed to think coyotes were inevitable, but there were bad ones and tolerable ones and humans could have some impact in sorting them out - shooting the bad and the "brazen" ones and leaving the tolerable ones alone.

Interesting that you should mention that! My dad left an old loner that was around for quite a few years because we knew and trusted him and figured if we shot him others would move in to the area and test our limits! The devil you know versus the devil you don't! That would go for a pack that is predictable too! Some would like to see a bounty on them and I fear that would only speed up the gene pool aspect and not necessarily thin out the ones that are problems! Like I said before, I feel it is up to us to demonstrate our presence and make them mindful of us!;)

Last edited:
I just listened to this story from WMUR about coyotes howling in Bridgewater with some sled dogs barking in response. If you haven't heard a pack of coyotes howling before, this is an earfull:

http://www.wmur.com/video/30425662/detail.html

Since we moved to CO a year and a half ago, we've seen plenty of the more traditional Western coyotes, who don't hunt in packs quite as much... though they do get together for cocktail parties, get-togethers with the kids, etc. and they are so noisy! Interesting thing is we have two medium-ish size dogs, an "alpha puppy" and an older mellower dog. When the coyotes started cheering about something a couple weeks ago around 8 PM, I was out in the backyard. The puppy got all excited and, along with a half dozen other dogs in our neighborhood, started barking like she wanted to go visit her "friends". The older one trotted straight over to me and sat on my feet, her "safe place". Wish they could talk...:)

Since we moved to CO a year and a half ago, we've seen plenty of the more traditional Western coyotes, who don't hunt in packs quite as much... though they do get together for cocktail parties, get-togethers with the kids, etc. and they are so noisy! Interesting thing is we have two medium-ish size dogs, an "alpha puppy" and an older mellower dog. When the coyotes started cheering about something a couple weeks ago around 8 PM, I was out in the backyard. The puppy got all excited and, along with a half dozen other dogs in our neighborhood, started barking like she wanted to go visit her "friends". The older one trotted straight over to me and sat on my feet, her "safe place". Wish they could talk...:)

I think they talked, and you listened, ie the risk-taking teenager, and the wise one who knows.

The closest encounter I've had with coyotes was having a few of them sniffing around my tent while camping in NW CT. We heard them in the distance as we were drifting off to sleep, then within a half hour they came in to investigate. It was exciting, a little scary, as they came within a couple feet of the tent, but I didn't feel particularly threatened at the time. Were we lucky?

Did you have food in the tent with you?

If not, howl cool (pun intended).

This was about 20yrs ago, and bears weren't such a concern to us at the time. So it's likely we had a little something in the tent. The main attraction was likely the tenderloin we had cooked over the fire earlier. ;) Live and learn. I would definitely do it differently now, as there is a healthy bear population in that location.

Regarding the coyotes, though, I think that once they investigated and found nothing to gnaw on, they moved on. It was a little edgy considering there was only a flimsy tent wall between them and my head.

Interesting thread. It appers that coyotes like alot of other wildlife are becoming less and less scared of humans. I live near the Bear Pond Natural Area and mascoma State Forest in Canaan, NH and frequent the area quite often. Last fall my wife, dog, and I were taking our usual mile loop walk out there and on the return we pass through an old sand pit. Usually Marlie (my dog) will crouch down like she is getting ready to pounce on something and I will chase her, sending her running off at full speed in big circles. Anyway, to make a long story short, I noticed that I was abnormally close to her and she was still in her crouching position. I soon realized that she was not looking at me anymore. I turned around to see what she was looking at and there was a coyote that had appeared from behind a sand dune about 50 yards behind me! Before I could tell Marlie to "stay" she bolted after it! "Oh, s*#@!", I thought. I took off after her calling her name. She had only chased the coyote back into the trees and I could hear her tags jingling as ahe ran back to me. All I could picture was her now being chased by a half dozen of them. Luckily she was alone, but by the time we all reached the bridge to cross the Mascoma River and exit the conservation area, there were several barking and howling and not very far behind us. It was thrilling but not "scary". My wife may beg to differ.

The reason I decided to post this is because just last night (around 7pm) I did the same loop with just Marlie and as soon as we crossed the bridge on the way out I heard a loud howl and a few minutes later as I entered my driveway several coyotes could be heard barking and howling in the direction tht we just came from. I'm not sure if they found some food or if it was just the smell of my dog that set them off. I often find piles of feathers on the trail and even a hind leg from a rabbit last year (would have made a great good luck charm). Many times when the moon is bright I don't even use a headlamp out there. Some people may think that it is borderline foolish to keep going out after dark but I don't plan on stopping any time soon. It's very peaceful and helps me wind down afte a day at work.

Now if I could only lure some of those stray cats out there that keep pooping in my garden and under my deck.........

I often find piles of feathers on the trail and even a hind leg from a rabbit last year (would have made a great good luck charm).

I hiked an area of open space last weekend and found a rather bulky section of spine/ribs resting right in the trail. It was pretty recently left there, and about as thick as my forearm, roughly. I kicked it into the snow on the side of the trail and photographed it. I'm confident it's the work of coyotes, but I'm not sure what the remains are from.

DSC02576.jpg

It may also simply be that populations and the opportunities for interactions are increasing.

Doug

That was what I was refering to. I couldn't agree more.

On the positive side, a few years back, a car hit a deer in front of my house and I didn't find it until about a week later when the snow started to melt. A friend and I scooped it up and brought it out to an old log landing. Over the next several days we would go out after work and check on it. Each time there would be less and less deer remaining and it was pulled a little farter into the woods each time until it was totally gone. The coyotes did a good job cleaning up that mess.

And you thought coyotes were bad. Wait until the wolves come by.

Canis lupus - Grey wolf
Range: North America and Eurasia
Size: 100 - 175 lb (45 - 79 kg)

The grey wolf is the largest living member of the family Canidae. The largest individuals tend to occur in the northern forests of North America, with weights of 175 lb (79 kg) having been recorded. A weight of 100-125 lb (45 - 57 kg) is much more typical, however.