crampon bindings: Scottish or Modern?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
Occasionally my crampons have twisted off to the left or right at the heel. Wondering if anyone would weigh in on the pros or cons of the newer loop- and-buckle style bindings of mountaineering crampons versus the old "Scottish style" strap binding system. I use the Scottish style bindings on my regular winter hiking boots with my 12 point crampons. I'm wondering if the newer style cramps and bindings allow this twisting-off-at-the-heel to happen. Any input appreciated.

When you use the Scottish style straps, do you wrap the heel strap around your ankle? If so, there may be enough potential stretch in that long strap to allow the heel of the crampon to occasionally slip off your boot. I cut my heel straps short so they just go over my insteps and then to the buckles.

Another thing to consider is that you're straps might be stretching just a bit, particularly they're neoprene. I always have to re-tighten neoprene about 20 minutes after first putting them on. OTH - if leather, my recollection is hazy. The last leather straps I used were on my skis in HS and college, and we called them long thongs.

I’ve had the same experience as Kevin with the Neoprene straps needing tightening after the first half hour or so. I never had any slipping to one side though. One of the things to be aware of is that the long strap from the heel area should not be wrapped around the ankle and then be fastened to the buckle from the other side of the heel. It should fasten to the buckle on the opposite side of the foot toward the front of the boot.

JohnL

JohnL said:
One of the things to be aware of is that the long strap from the heel area should not be wrapped around the ankle and then be fastened to the buckle from the other side of the heel. It should fasten to the buckle on the opposite side of the foot toward the front of the boot.

JohnL

Not like this?

Nope. You need a connection from the front part of the crampon to the rear part. This way gives you none. The way I was taught gives you two.

JohnL