Crawford Path to Mt. Pierce, two bull moose, 12/26/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
A beautiful, bluebird day in WMNF!!! This was the first day this winter when such conditions happened on a hiking day, so I decided to go above treeline for the first time.

This bull moose was licking the road just after sunrise. He dropped his antlers very recently. The holes on his head are a bit ragged and bloody...
122507102b.jpg

The trail was packed out and the going was easy all the way from Crawford Notch to the summit. This little freind was hanging around the popular lunch break spot at the junction of Mizpah cutoff...
122607165x.jpg

I made treeline just before this valley fog burned off...
122607013x.jpg

Oh, alright...but just a few bread crumbs for your persistence...
12260776x.jpg

They know a sap when they see one!

near the summit of Mt. Pierce...
122607089x.jpg

coyote tracks on thte summit...
122607109x.jpg

I met Rocket21 on the summit and had a nice chat. Then it was time for the best part of the hike, the bushwack descent. I followed the track from a moose that postholed all over the trail...
122607005x.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
The snowshoeing was nearly perfect all the way down the western slopes. The crust completely supported my weight, and I only occassionally broke through. A few inches of powder over that crust would have made it more quiet, but I not complaining at all. It was beautiful.

I wonder if this belongs to the bull I saw at sunrise. It's the freshest antler I've ever found, only days old since it was on top of most of the snow...
088.jpg

I wonder what happened to this tine...
122607191x.jpg

it looks like this tine was damaged early in it's growth stage...
122607195x.jpg

Toward the bottom I found a very fresh track and followed it until I caught up to this bull moose...
122607171x.jpg

I followed him for a while. At one point I was trying to get an unobstructed look at him so I layed down on my side to shoot from underneath some hemlock branches. He looked at me and immediately dropped to his knees then layed down and started napping. Did he do that because I did? From tracking, I know that they lay down together often....
122607295x.jpg

Although I had my tripod, there happened to be a stump nearby so I put my hat on it and used it for a tripod for a nice steady shot...
122607317x.jpg

There's moss already growing on his antlers. We hung out together resting for a half hour, then I got up, said goodby, and continued down the slope.

What a day!

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Very nice shots, Sleeps-With-Moose!

Wait, that doesn't sound right. :eek:

How about "Naps-With-Moose"? Yeah, that's better. :D

It was great meeting you! Once again, tremendous photos!

Here's the legend at work:

forestgnome.jpg

Thanks, all, for nice comments!

Great meeting you, rocket21! That's a great shot! "legend" is a bit generous, but thanks very much. I wish I took a better shot of you, but I didn't think of it until you had already started down the mountain.

122607rocket.jpg

happy trails :)

Bluejay & Moose

What a wonderful day you had and thanks for sharing!

One of the best moose pictures I've seen.

Love the moose....

Mad Townie said:
Very nice shots, Sleeps-With-Moose!

Wait, that doesn't sound right. :eek:

How about "Naps-With-Moose"? Yeah, that's better. :D

Very nice pics! I agree, you must change your name to one of the above mentioned.... ;) :D

So did you keep the antler? That's soo cool!

forestgnome said:
I wish I took a better shot of you, but I didn't think of it until you had already started down the mountain.

Surprised the lens didn't break! Your PM box is full btw :)