Crockers and Abraham: Finishing the 67

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Dave! It's been a pleasure sharing the hikes that we've done. The brews haven't been too bad either! Only regret: I had Sunday available. I hiked Puzzle Mtn, and met Bob Stewart, one of the driving forces (if not the main!) for the Grafton Loop. A great guy who welcomed me into his cabin for a few post hike brews after we bushwhacked our way off the ridge. He has a little slice of heaven up there, and he knows, and appreciates it all!

As for you not moving on to the NEHH - ha! You crack me up! How could you pass on climbing the beautiful shoulder of Vose Spur, the slide on PAtN, the fierce spruce that is Elephant, or miss the views from COP Snow, the slash on Boundary (and it's sister to the north, Gosford), the peace of Breadloaf and Wilson in the Breadloaf Wilderness, the vistas from Goose Eye! Can you tell I had fun on these? Besides, I have a vague recollection of you on Sandwich, so I know that you are already on (off?) the trail. I also suspect that you gazed over at Fort and headed over there "just in case". You've accepted your fate, and it will be well worth the trip! If you visit P&A again next weekend, you could probably (easily) pick up six more that I know of ;) And if you haven't been on Nancy yet, the time is long overdue. Heck, even East Kennebago was worth 2 looks for me (so far :D ). Just dive in - that water is fine.

Besides, you need to expand your website :eek: :D

I gotta say, the NEHH list doesn't have a lot of draw for me. Bushwacking to viewless peaks is not high on my priority list right now. :D

Maybe someday, as I said, it'll be because I've followed friends on hikes and ended up knocking some more off. I'll probably go after most of the trailed peaks on the list over time.

-dave-

Congratulations Dave! Great write up and photos.

I'm experiencing the 'nearly done' emotions for the first time as I approach the completion of the NH 4ks. While the list has given me direction I have to agree that there is just so much more than just getting to the top. Not least of which is the fine companionship of like minded souls.

btw - I have a feeling you may be famous soon enough ;)

Bob

I suggest pic 'a27' for your new avatar! Congratulations.

Congrats, David! Great trip report and pictures by the way.

Perhaps instead of NH100, the NE US 115 would be better? Lotsa views from peaks in the Adirondacks.

-Dr. Wu

Congratulations! I'm hoping to finish both the NH and the NE 4K's on Carrigain sometime this fall.

BTW, If you are really wanting to learn bird calls I recommend Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs - Eastern Region. It is a 3-disc CD and seems to have every NE bird I've ever tried to find. It's also fun to play if you have cats :D .
-veg

ETA: I'm not so sure about that cut being an AT corridor boundary. I'm not a corridor monitor but have never heard that there is any kind of AT boundary swath. I would also think that the trees would be cut flush to the ground if it was some kind of MATC work. Might it just be some herd path that someone took it upon themselves to clear?

Last edited:
vegematic said:
ETA: I'm not so sure about that cut being an AT corridor boundary. I'm not a corridor monitor but have never heard that there is any kind of AT boundary swath. I would also think that the trees would be cut flush to the ground if it was some kind of MATC work. Might it just be some herd path that someone took it upon themselves to clear?
There is a similar cut on the spur trail to Sugarloaf, it's also marked with paint and looks like a clear boundry line. That one is also about the right distance to be a 1000' corridor. The one on North Crocker doesn't make much sense as an AT boundry since it goes right to the AT on the summit but it definately felt like a boundry of some sort, it's a straight line. It doesn't make much sense as a cleared herd path.

-dave-

Congrats, Dave! I'm glad you had a beautiful day for your finish, and a fine mountain at that.

The clear-cut you mention is found crossing the spur trail going up Sugarloaf, as well as crossing the Redington herd path/quasi-bushwhack from S. Crocker. I *think* I remember seeing yellow paint that looked like a property boundary would be marked, but am not sure.

GO will know.

Nice job, Dave. I did Abraham on a cold rainy day. The trail was more like a stream. We were soaked and didn't spend long at the summit, it was foggy and eerie, but very cool.
Congratulations.