Custom boot makers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I have a friend getting back into hiking who needs custom-made boots (probably) because his feet are very wide (5E). I thought Limmer custom fit boots but looked at their website and don't see mention of that service although I have not called or stopped by to inquire. Before I do, does anyone know custom boot makers? How do they operate if you cannot walk in for a fit measurement?

Limmer still does custom boots but started selling stock sizes some time ago. There is a considerable wait I believe(3-4 years). I went to them to get my stock size boots and they worked with me just the same as if I were getting custom fitted boots, the difference is I left that day with my boots, stock size 9, not fitted.

They are awesome(boots and the people)

I've got 4e feet and have found that size with Wolverine, Dunham, Propet, Danner and Montrail. If he needs a leather boot wider than that he could try a set of these. Or work with a local cobbler to stretch them.
There are web sights that specialize in wide feet, as well.
I spoke to this Custom Boot Maker once. He seemed like the real deal, if you think you need to go that way.

Custom made Limmers certainly were worth waiting for after I ordered them. My forefoot is abnormally wide and my heel is more normal in width for my foot length -- a common configuration problem the Limmers address in their custom work, they said.

I’ve also purchased made-to-order non-hiking footgear from the Russell Moccasin Company, in Wisconsin. (You can Google to find their web site.)

Both Limmer and Russell provide instructions for tracing and measuring feet for an order. But there can be little doubt that a visit to the shop in person, to have somebody who really knows their trade do the tracings and measurements, is the best way to get a perfect fit. Not only that, visits can be fun and informative.

A telephone call should get the ball rolling, whoever your friend decides to contact for custom boots. That will give your friend a chance to discuss his needs with a real person who has real knowledge of the shop’s capabilities and service.

G.

My son has extremely wide feet, and has had good success with Hitchcock, which carries up to 6E.

Steve

Gary Barlow of Barlow Boots. Hands down he's the best bootmaker in the NE US. Between fittings and personal attention your boots will arrive in 4-6 weeks. he works on boots one at a time and his prices are outstandingly reasonable.

www.hamiltonny.com/barlowboots/

They are leather boots, made by hand. I followed his cleaning / waterproofing procedures. I recently slogged to Bradley Pond with these boots and the only moisture I felt in my feet was from my own perspiration. He does not use Gore-tex and his product, like others requires a break in period.

I highly, highly recommend his product, priced under $1000 / pair and will last, with proper care, the rest of one's life.

Moose

http://www.hamiltonny.com/barlowboots/

Located in central NY State, near Utica. I don't know of Barlow's reputation but they may be worth a try.

I have a pair of off-the-shelf Limmers. They replace my old friends, 15 yr old Asolos that finally gave up. But after a careful rather long break-in period this past spring (which I expected), the Limmers are now my new extremely comfortable favorites for backcountry hiking.

Last edited:
Limmer seems to make one helluva boot. An older gent at my place of work has a pair that was custom made for him in the 1960's, he's hiked the 48 multiple times since, and they have only had to be resoled once! I'd drop the few extra bucks the next time I need a pair to have quality like that!
HEAD

Vote for Barlow

I treated myself with a pair of Gary's boots several years ago. They are hands-down really nice boots.

Gary is a good egg, having an affiliation with Randy Merrell (of UT boot fame) besides.

I was fortunate enough to get a custom pair of Limmers in the mid 80's.
They are great.
I was even more lucky that I ordered a 2nd pair as backups.
Other than wearing the backup pair for a season of soccer coaching to break them in, they've been sitting in the closet waiting for the first pair to expire.

The wait back them might have been 6-8 months, but Limmers are worth it.

PB

Thanks to all. This has been incredibly helpful. Where else but VFTT could you get this many good tips on such a narrow--er, wide--question?! I've cut and pasted all the info into an email to my 5E friend, who used to dayhike CA's Mt. Whitney in work boots but now, with feet 35 years older, should treat them nicer. Nag, nag, nag.

moose_mckenzie said:
Gary Barlow of Barlow Boots. Hands down he's the best bootmaker in the NE US. Between fittings and personal attention your boots will arrive in 4-6 weeks. he works on boots one at a time and his prices are outstandingly reasonable.

www.hamiltonny.com/barlowboots/

They are leather boots, made by hand. I followed his cleaning / waterproofing procedures. I recently slogged to Bradley Pond with these boots and the only moisture I felt in my feet was from my own perspiration. He does not use Gore-tex and his product, like others requires a break in period.

I highly, highly recommend his product, priced under $1000 / pair and will last, with proper care, the rest of one's life.

Moose

Nothing like reviving an old thread :D The website does not work now. Does anyone know if he has an updated url?

Thanks,
Adam

EDIT: I think I found it! http://www.barlowboots.com/

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
I thought Limmer custom fit boots but looked at their website and don't see mention of that service...

They have three different websites that I've discovered:

Off the shelf boots

Custom boots

Boot grease

It had me confused as well.

BTW The customs are now going for $625 a pair. Guess I better start saving up now for when mine give out.

Last edited:
1ADAM12 said:
Nothing like reviving an old thread :D The website does not work now. Does anyone know if he has an updated url?

Thanks,
Adam

EDIT: I think I found it! http://www.barlowboots.com/

Yup, that you did.

See, Gary Barlow works on his own and, sometimes he works for other corporations - he shuts his business down for upwards of a year, making custom shoes products. When I needed my boots repaired, he wasn't there and I found a local shoe shop to do the necessary work.

His prices are reasonable - he learned from Randy Merrill, who has a bootmaking school in Utah. I am thinking of learning the trade. I think that the Adirondacks needs a good, custom bootmaker.

BTW, His turn around time for custom made product is about a month.

Moose

Last edited: