Dancing On the Edges of Knives - Mt Katahdin - 8/14/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
After waiting for almost two years, Nat and I finally got to do the hike that was supposed to be the celebration for her 50th birthday - Mt Katahdin. It was a simply incredible day and there is really no way to truly describe the experience - you have to be there. Here's my best shot at sharing the journey.

http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/dancing-on-edges-of-knives.html

IMG_4306.JPG

Baxter%2520Summit.JPG

Mark,
What an outstanding day you and Nat had to tackle the Knife's Edge. I've looked at the pictures twice and can remember the thrill and excitement we had back in 1995 doing it. If you'll remember, I was also a bit apprehensive after hearing so many stories about the trail. It wasn't until our third attempt that we did the hike. The other two days were not good due to the weather. Now you can write this one off your list. WOO HOO for you guys!
It is one of the most incredible hikes in Maine or New Hampshire.

Donna:)

Mark,

Great job! I love your photos. Every angle you look along this hike is just so impressive. Your photos capture them all. Clearly your nerves were all gone early and you had a blast, so I'm happy that you and Nat got a great weather day to complete the Knife Edge.

Never say never!

Glad you finally made this hike! I knew you could do it! Congrats to both of you! Great pics and narrative!

KDT

After waiting for almost two years, Nat and I finally got to do the hike that was supposed to be the celebration for her 50th birthday - Mt Katahdin. It was a simply incredible day and there is really no way to truly describe the experience - you have to be there. Here's my best shot at sharing the journey.

Thanks again for this great report, Mark. Bravo - posting here mainly to let you know I'm on board now. Thank you so much!

-Chris/Arkie/Driver

Thanks guys!

Donna - appreciate the support. I can imagine this one taking 3 or many more times to finally accomplish. We were blessed with good weather and an all around perfect day on try #1. So fortunate.

Dan - your recent report and videos were part of my inspiration. Thanks for helping me over the Edge...

Kevin - your hike from last year was my initial inspiration. The words of encouragement since then have meant a lot. Thanks!

Chris - glad to see you on Views! (and thanks for the kind words here and elsewhere). Hope you make it up there and have just as good a day!

I don't know if I could do that one either Mark. My stomach was feeling a little queasy watching the video.