Dayhiking in Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mileage markers

From Stephen Clark's "Katahdin," 3rd edition:

Mileage from Togue Pond Gate to Abol Campground: 5.8 miles

From Abol Campground to Katahdin Stream Campground: 2.4 miles

From Katahdin Stream Campground to Marston Trail head: 5.8 miles

Looking at my notes from last fall, I see that I wrote that it took us an hour to reach the Marston Trail head, but I don't know now if I meant an hour from our motel in Millinocket (doesn't seem like enough time — isn't it about 22 miles just to get to Togue Pond from Millinocket?) or the gatehouse (likely for a 14-mile trip on that road — I know it's about 20 minutes to traverse the eight miles up to Roaring Brook Campground, and that spur road is probably in better shape than the Perimeter Road). We got up that morning at 5:20 and began the hike at 7:55 a.m. We had a continental breakfast at the motel before departing, but that didn't take 90 minutes.

Last edited:
The first time I visited Baxter State Park was May 17-22, 1992. I did have a reservation, at Roaring Brook Campground, but it wasn't actually full. The black flies were at the gatehouse when I arrived, and two days later they were at the campground.

I departed on Friday morning, the beginning of Memorial Day weekend, and was passed by at least four vehicles (some hauling boats, I think) before I'd gotten very far out of the parking lot. I felt as though I was leaving just in time.

I remember that on that trip I brought along a thermometer. The first few days of my stay the morning temperature was 30 degrees Fahrenheit; Friday morning I woke up and it was 70 degrees. The drive back to Massachusetts in my car was so hot that the thermometer was pegged at 100 degrees all the way.

I stayed at Roaring Brook a few days with my son in May 1997 and we got a lean-to without having a reservation. We've done the same thing in October, too (but not Columbus Day Weekend).

Jasonst said:
Is it possible to hike North Brother without entering through the main entrance of the park?
You can go in the NE entrance, but it is a longer drive to Marston Trail.

If this is a family adventure and not list-bagging (or if you like peculiar lists) you could hike Traveller or Doubletop (see AMC guide). The S trailhead to Doubletop used to be a gravel pit with no rangers to enforce capacity.

RoySwkr said:

...The S trailhead to Doubletop used to be a gravel pit with no rangers to enforce capacity.

You can still start there, and it is now called the Slaughter Pond Trail. There is an awesome view of Doubletop Mountain where the trail takes an abrubt left hand turn. Be forewarned though, it is one steep climb up the western side (left on the picture), and would not be a good choice for very young children (although some would find it a hoot!)