Dix Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been to the Dix Range recently. I am planning on camping at Slide Brook and heading up Macomb and doing all the range from there. How is the blowdown?

I will be going the first weekend in June.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, I've shared my thoughts about doing Dix first as it is highest and then the distance is all coming back to the trailhead. If you are staying at the LT, you are coming back to it also.

Although I don't think the slide is difficult to manuever through now, it used to be a bit more difficult to follow the herd path(s). Even though they have been "improved" I like coming down the slide -- no guessing, just go down!! I will add, however, that you had to know (or make a good guess) at where to head down off the top ridge previously. I'm thinking that this may be a bit more apparent with the improvements as well.

Last year my son and I did all five Dix Range peaks from the Elk Lake Lodge parking going in via the Macomb Slide. Total trip was 12 hours with some time on the summits. I can't speak to recent blowdown however, herd paths are rather easy to follow. You should be able to do the circuit in 10 hours at a moderate pace.

There have been several threads related to this route here and on other forums. Most people tend to feel that it is best to hike up the Macomb slide first when you are fresh rather than waiting until the end when you are tired and it may be dark.
Last summer my son and I made the hike and we went up Macomb first. It worked out well for us. One note though - make sure to bring plenty of water. After you leave the brook on Macomb there is no water available until you descend off Dix.

bubba said:

Although I don't think the slide is difficult to manuever through now, it used to be a bit more difficult to follow the herd path(s). Even though they have been "improved" I like coming down the slide -- no guessing, just go down!! I will add, however, that you had to know (or make a good guess) at where to head down off the top ridge previously. I'm thinking that this may be a bit more apparent with the improvements as well.
I've been up the Macomb slide twice, and the first time it was as bubba said above. The second time things were so obvious I couldn't see what the fuss was about. Pete Hickey reported somewhere recently that the slide has changed over the years and is not as dirty as it used to be. Nevertheless, I still think I'd have a better time going up it rather than down.

1ADAM12 said:
.... How is the blowdown?

I will be going the first weekend in June.

"Missed it by THAT much." M. Smart

Our blowdown sweep is the second week in June. Traditionally, the hunters pass and beckhorn sections have a lot of blowdown. I've heard that there was a fair amount on our new reroute, but L & W will probably be there before the first week of June.