Dix Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeenyus

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to attack the trailess dix's?

They're not exactly trailless. Good herd paths go to all of them, unless you're specifically looking for a route without paths. Attack? How about approach respectfully! :)

The "standard" route is probably an ascent via the Macomb slide, to Macomb, then to South Dix and East Dix. Return over South Dix, then go to Hough and up over the Beckhorn to Dix. Return via the Beckhorn Trail.

In August we did only Dix and Hough and descended from the Hough-Pough col via a herd path that starts at a campsite in the col. It soon reached Lillian Brook, and then we stayed on the path that gets you up on the ridge south of Lillian Brook and brings you back to the Dix trail at a height of land. It's loaded with big blowdowns but the faint pathway was almost always evident. Pough is an unofficial name given to the peak between South Dix and Hough.

Next time we'll try the route from the northeast over Elizabethtown and Spotted Mts that I've heard is very beautiful. There are other more challenging options too, such as following the South Fork of the Boquet - no herd paths. There are some great pictures of a winter ascent in a recent Trip Report.

The easiest way is up macomb.the nicest way is up east dix slide or over elizabeth town / spotted (no trail on ridge but lots!! of open rock and great views).the un marked,(partialy marked with some orange paint?!!)trail up to slides is very nice.I usually do a loop up E.dix pump water at bottom of slide then hike out dix trail to rt. 73 round pond.there is no water untill bottom of slides on dix,though in fall and spring there is a bit of water in col between east and south dix.The Elk lake trail head closes some time at the end of oct. adding on 2? miles of road walking.Any further ? just ask as this is my home away from home.If you go the easy way at least when you get to summit of E. dix go over to headwall of slide and look out over the vast basin formed by the curve of the ridge.I love this range and have hiked it more than any other (20 plus times) in all conditions,seasons,and directions.Enjoy!
run me out in the cold rain and snow (GD)

Macomb

Hiked from Elk Lake trailhead with my hiking buddy "CoolMom" September 24th. Just past the 1st bridge before the Slide Brook Leanto. (Second bridge is at the leanto)There is a nice cairn marking the trail up Slide Brook at that point. The trail up to the slide is now all cleared and a nice easy approach to the slide itself. Go up the left side of the slide and make sure you enjoy the views behind you. From top of Macomb the trail to S. Dix is very easy to follow. We just did Macomb and S. Dix, but should have added E. Dix while we were there. The views were incredible. We decided to bushwack down from the col between Macomb and S. Dix. A little hard to spot at first but as long as we we headed in the general direction of Dix at that point it was not hard to know where we were. Once down to top of Lillian Brook it was easy to follow the heard path on the right side of the brook going down. Go all the way down the brook, or if you see it, there is a herdpath marked with pink ribbons about half way down that heads generally west back to the red trail. It has blowdown on the last 1/3rd but it was not hard to get over and under the trees. It was a great hike, on a beautiful day, with a beautiful woman, so we definitely took our time up top. Due to that the total r/t was 11 hours. Could probably have done it in 7 hours, but why? It was fantastic and now we get to go back and do the rest!
Joe

Last edited:
My son and I hiked the Dix range a few weeks ago. We went up Macomb via the slide, then over to S. Dix, to E. Dix, back to S. Dix, over to Hough, then finally Dix. We descended via the Beckhorn trail. This is a nice, long hike. Be prepared to either start or finish in the dark and bring plenty of water.

At this time of year (short days) I would recomend starting early, and heading up Macomb via the slide, then work your way over to Dix, heading down back toward the Elk Lake Parking lot.

The reason for this, is that you may be in the dark on your return, and last 5 miles or so, is easy to follow in the dark. If you do it in the other direction, two hours from the end, will leave you on Macomb's summit. If you want to head to route 73, this trail is more difficult to follow in the dark, especially in the fall. There are a lot of hardwoods, and the leaves hide the path somewhat.

Dixs

I planned on climbing Dix first, then Hough, S. Dix and Macomb as someone suggested. Anyone ever descended the slide on Macomb? How steep?

Aesop74 said:
Anyone ever descended the slide on Macomb? How steep?

It's a dirty slide, and you should wear gaiters to keep the dirt out of your boots. That is the biggest problem you'll have.

Also, as you get near the bottom, you will see a deep gulley (this was not there several years ago). Do NOT go in the gulley. Watch for the cairns on the right, which will lead you to the new path. It is about 100 yards before the bottom of the slide.

I've gone down the slide twice. The second time was easier than the first. Take your time and don't be afraid of wearing out the seat of your pants if you feel more comfortable doing it that way. (That's what my ladyfriend did.)

Good point by Pete regarding the time of year; both times I've hiked the range it was the second week in September. The earlier your start, the better. It took me just shy of 12 hours my first time, which was solo. Two years later, with Susan along, it took us more than 12, and it was definitely The Gloamin’ when we finished.