Do people avoid the Daniel Webster Scout Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm considering heading up Madison via the DWST and noticed that not many folks seem to write trail conditions/trip reports for this route.

Any thoughts as to why this trail might be avoided. Is it hard to follow the path in the winter? Are parking conditions unfavorable? Is it just a boring route [if there is such a thing]?

Or maybe it's such a great little trail that people want to keep it a secret. If so, feel free to PM me with your thoughts!

Thanks,

Brandon

I've hiked it in summer and found it somewhat sketchy to follow as the trail breaks treeline.

Also, the Dolly Copp Campground is closed in winter, making the trailhead not an easy approach. I doubt the road is plowed from the Barnes Field Intersection to the Trailhead, but you could always check with the USFS to be certain.

Others may have more thoughts on this.

Most people approach the Northern Peaks in Winter/Spring via Appalachia, mainly Valley Way and Airline.

I'd be prepared for a very long day of trailbreaking/route finding if you chose this approach.

However, I'm just a shameless peakbagger, so I could be wrong....:)

Last edited:
Trust me ... nobody's trying to keep it a secret. It's not exactly The Trail From Hell, but it's not the greatest of trails, either.

In the interests of full disclosure - I've only done it once, in winter several years ago with Ed Hawkins and a couple of others. We had a different hike planned out of Pinkham as an AMC hike, but a heavy storm closed the road, and about as far south from Gorham as we could get was the trailhead which included the Daniel Webster, so it was this trail or go home. It was a bit hard to follow, slabby, rough, rocky - etc, etc. We made the peak (Madison), but it was a tough approach.

I've not felt the need to hike it a second time.

There are some potential slide paths in the area that could make things interesting. There normally is snowmachine traffic on part of Dolly Copp Road although it legally doesnt extend to Barnes Field but it should be packed out most of the way once you head up the hill a fairly short distance to the intersection with the snowmobile trail.

I think the main reason I haven't returned in years is that there are so many interesting loop possibilites if you start in Appalachia. (Though you could make a loop to DWS with Osgood (or Madison Gulf), great Gulf, and Gulf Link. [Edit: in winter, Madison Gulf is probably not broken out. In spring, it can be a trap as you may be unable to cross streams.])

Trail itself was nothing memorable, though that last mile is pretty steep (something like 2K of gain the last mile, nearly 4K gain overall). Not the easiest way, not really a ridge trail (views not as sustained as, say, Osgood), don't recall any waterfalls or other points of interest except a "cave" (overhanging boulder) big enough to offer some shelter from an afternoon rain squall. (I hiked it in summer, can't comment on winter conditions. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to lose the trail between ridgetop and treeline during a winter descent in bad visibility.)

For an Eastern approach, Osgood has better views. If you want more solitude than the AT will offer, the Pine Link approach to Howker Ridge is a good bet (but you should stay off Mt Madison's summit on summer weekends).

Last edited:
Going up, I think it's an awesome trail... nice woods walk until it gets steep then a lot of boulders to negotiate. You hit treeline pretty early and the climbing is fun after that! Great trail.

Going down after a Presi Traverse after we went below treeline it seemed to go on forever but it might have been that we were out of booze and food and wanted to get back to the campsite at Barnes as quick as possible.

-Dr. Wu

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone - I think we'll come up with a plan B. I've been up Valley Way and Air Line in the winter and was looking for a closer approach. I too, have been known to get side-tracked/temporarily lost on trails in the winter - especially new ones. Oh well... there are plenty of other great options out there!

Personally, if I were doing it in winter, I'd stick with Valley Way or Airline.

Pine Link would be tough if the Dolly Copp Road is closed, and it usually is. And Howker Ridge - all I can say is - a group of us broke that out one winter - it was an extremely long day. Let me put it this way - it's the type of trail in winter that Dr. Wu would say "Piece of cake, really enjoyed it".

The one time I hiked it was on the finish of a South to North traverse.Above treeline we had a bunch of trouble staying on track. We even encountered a cairn with a resident Davebear. Below the trees it was a long hike out .As someone else mentioned it's a long hike out when you're ready to be done.
A friend of mine who grew up in Berlin calls the Scout Trail his favorite so ,in this context,in this discussion, it's my favorite too.

I like the trail if Im staying at Dolly Copp and feel like hiking from my campsite and have done that twice in the summer. In regards to the DWST in the winter, it would not be my first choice. I think the routes from Appalachia have much more possibilites. I personally would not be excited about descending the scout trail in bad conditions ( winter) verses the valley way that you could easiley descend in a storm safely. my 2 cents worth.

My first hiking in the Whites was on the scout trail. We camped at Dolly Copp every Columbus Day weekend when I was a youngster.
It was awesome to be able to walk from my tent and reach treeline.

In winter if you're looking to check off peaks it's probably not the easiest way. But if you're just looking for some good wholesome mountain adventure check it out.

Hey again,

I'm not trying to red-line or check off or get to the top of Madison as fast as possible. I will be hiking w/someone I've never hiked with before and didn't want it to be a let-down of an experience. (searching for blazes all day, breaking trail through a winter's worth of snow, etc...)

Thanks again for all the info,

Brandon

I should have added that I stayed at Barnes Field last weekend. The turn into Dolly Copp CG off of Dolly Copp Rd. was plowed. How far in it may be plowed I have no idea. The Hayes Copp ski trails are between the CG and the Great Gulf trail but I don't know where the skiers park.That is all.

The Hayes Copp ski trails are between the CG and the Great Gulf trail but I don't know where the skiers park.

Skiers can access the Hayes Copp Cross Country Ski Trail from either Dolly Copp Campground or the Great Gulf Trail trailhead. The lots for both are plowed and have ample parking.

From Dolly Copp, the ski trail crosses the Daniel Webster-Scout Trail shortly before the start of the loop, so one could follow the ski trail for a bit to reach the DW-S Trail.