Do you talk on a cell phone while hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you talk on a cell phone while hiking?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Yes I'm a VERY important person who can't be out of touch even for a few minutes!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Only in an emergency or to let friends/loved ones know I'll be late.

Votes: 77 45.3%
  • Never

Votes: 65 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
skiguy said:
Very interesting thread. I carry a cell phone but I never use it. Has anyone ever had someone else on the trail who does not have a cell phone ask to use yours? How would you reply? If it were an emergency I think we would all gladly hand the cell over; but what if it were not. Kind of like being in "Tuck's" on a nice Spring day and someone asks if you have a Big Mac they can use.
I've been in several situations where I've loaned my cell to someone in a jam, and would do it again without hesitation. I wouldn't loan it for casual purposes, however, unless it was a close friend.

Whether it were on trail or off wouldn't change the circumstances for me.

ok, ok ok, i was wrong with my earlier statement. i have seen the light, i agree now, celphones don't suck....rude people do :)
but maybe...just maybe.... cel phones make them worse!?!?

i or my partner always carry one for emergency use. it stays turned off in a ziplock burried in the depths of my pack. i'm out there to disconnect, but an extra few ounces to maybe save a life or lots of extra time in pain seems like a good decision for me.

i couldn't find the post where someone said celphones are like dog whistles for humans. that was GREAT! who said it!?!?!?

I own a cell because I have no land line, but I never take in in the woods. Ill take my chances. ok Ill be gone now, packing for Colorado, see you at 14,000 ft.
P.S. whatever happen to dealing with emergencys by yourself,now everyone calls for help in a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
sierra said:
I own a cell because I have no land line, but I never take in in the woods. Ill take my chances. ok Ill be gone now, packing for Colorado, see you at 14,000 ft.
P.S. whatever happen to dealing with emergencys by yourself,now everyone calls for help in a minute.

I wonder if Aron Rollston (the guy who had to sever his own arm a few years back) wished he had packed a cell. To have one and not bring it is utter folly, in my opinion.

Jasonst said:
I wonder if Aron Rollston (the guy who had to sever his own arm a few years back) wished he had packed a cell. To have one and not bring it is utter folly, in my opinion.
If he had one, his chance of getting a connection from deep in a slot canyon was very slim.

Doug

Last edited:
Only When Important

Which can be often, because I love telling my girlfriend how much I love her, but I keep the conversations brief. (Actually, she knows how much I love her, she is just curious whether I am also still alive, so the conversations really are brief.) Other than that, just to check on loved ones and to tell them I might be little late.

AND I always get out of the way and try not to annoy others. NO ringing, just a loving vibration.

AND, since I can't count on cell coverage for emergencies (mine or those of others) I always also carry my little ham radio. Now let the flames begin!

DougPaul said:
If he had one, his chance of getting a connection from deep in a slot canyon was very slim.

Doug

cmon doug, I think you get my point. If I have an accident on a remote trail and my life is in danger, then it's foolish to purposely leave your emergency tools at home. That's my point.

I carry mine with me, but it's off. I bring it for the sadly real possibility that I might have to call someone in the event that I find my truck's been broken into and trashed when I get back to the trailhead. Also, should encounter a real emergency--either involving me or someone else--I feel that it'd be worth a shot. Yeah, it's a pain to carry it, but it sucks even more that I feel I can't just leave it in my truck. Where'd the love go?

Jasonst said:

IIRC, that aron dude was stuck in Little BlueJohn Canyon, which dumps into the larger Horseshoe Canyon. I've hiked in horseshoe canyon, there's a part of Canyonlands national park there where you can visit some amazingly spectacular art on the canyon walls. There is no way a cel phone in that canyon would do any good, even up on the rim there were no FM stations and only a few AM stations. its about 40 miles to the nearest paved road!!

i do agree about bringing a cellphone if you got it, just in case, especially in the east, you never know if you might get service if needed.

ps, my buddy just got a ham radio and will prolly bring it on our next trip. now, as much as i need/want to disconnect, if the yanks/redsox were sparring in an important game........:)

the starchild said:
ps, my buddy just got a ham radio and will prolly bring it on our next trip. now, as much as i need/want to disconnect, if the yanks/redsox were sparring in an important game........:)

You just sparked a hiking memory: My dad was a great one for bringing a little "transistor" AM radio on his overnights, and I recall catching a Sox game -- and stations as far away as Germany -- while sacked out at Hermit Lake. It was a hoot for everyone at the shelter..., and he put it away after a few minutes.

DougPaul said:
Jasonst said:
cmon doug, I think you get my point. If I have an accident on a remote trail and my life is in danger, then it's foolish to purposely leave your emergency tools at home. That's my point.
Huh? All I said was that it probably wouldn't have helped him in this case--he was deep in a remote slot canyon when he needed it. I said nothing about whether he should have carried one or not.

FWIW, I have made successful cellphone connections from Grandview Point (overlooking Canyonlands) and the junction of Rtes 191 and 163 (out in the "middle of nowhere", just S of Bluff, UT). And I got a signal while on the upper part of the Nankoweap Trail, below the N Rim of the Grand Canyon. One can get signals in some surprising locations, but the bottom of a remote desert slot canyon is a very poor bet.

Doug

the starchild said:
I too am a ham and have occasionally carried a 2M HT (radio) while hiking. In a place like the Whites, it sounds like it might have better coverage than a cellphone, but I haven't checked myself. (There are repeaters in Colebrook, Littleton, Mt Washington, N. Conway, Freyburg, Berlin, Colebrook, Cannon Mtn, etc. See http://www.nerepeaters.com/ for a more complete list.) I consider both it and my celllphone emergency gear and normally leave them turned off. The HT also receives NOAA weather broadcasts which could be useful on occasion.

Some might find sports events on a backcountry radio as offensive as a loud cellphone yacker. I suggest that you use headphones.

A repeater directory (eg http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/states/Utah.asp) lists a reasonable number of repeaters in SE Utah, including locations such as Moab, Monticello, Navajo Mountain, and Price. I have no idea how good the coverage of the backcountry might be. (I have never carried an HT out there.) As usual, high points will have a better chance of getting a signal than will low points.

Doug
wb2qje

Last edited:
I carry one but it is off until I choose to make a call at the summit. I'm notorious for calling a buddy and teasing him that I'm on a summit enjoying the view and he is not.

For future generations: You had exactly 46 posts before this last one. Reekee was joking. :p

-dave-

My last post was edited by Dave M ( mod) and he pmed me to let me know. I used a slang term that was in hindsight potentially offensive, I offer my apologies to the vftt, I can have a dry sense of humor, but you guys dont know me so how would you know?
Anyway, we all make our own judgement calls on equipment and protocals for emergencys, me no phone carried, if you decide do carry one, thats your call (pun) Ill back off and respect we all have a right to our own comfort zone. Peace all.