Dog-Friendly Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard people express concerns about their dogs getting giardia. I certainly would not want to share a tent or car with a dog that had a touch of giardia. I just got off the phone with my vet on this matter. He says the vast majority of dogs have an immune system that will protect them from giardia far better than any human. We usually pick it up from drinking contaminated water, and beavers are a major source for adding it to water supplies. However, you can pick it up by handling a contaminated stick and then touching your mouth or nose in some way. Most of us are at greater risk for giardia infection when hiking with our dogs than the dogs are. We lived in a home with a brook that ran by about 20 yards from the house. The source of this brook was a 5 acre beaver pond with three dams in the system and a lodge, just two hundred yards up stream. The dogs were always in that pond antagonizing the beavers and drinking from the brook. I remember my older dog having a nasty dose of the scoots at one time but who or what hasn't.

Take your dogs hiking, you'll both have a good time and eventually you will learn your limits.

My totally biased opinion is that Labs make the best hiking dogs.

Last edited:
I couldn't ever stop my dog from drinking out a water source, nor did I try. She never got giardia. I have no idea if that means anything or not.

Paradox said:
My totally biased opinion is that Labs make the best hiking dogs.

My vote is for keeshonds and ACD mixes ;)

My dogs have never had a problem with giardia - crap, crud and filth they've eaten on the trail once or twice, yes, but not giardia from the water.

Grandaddy said:
Many thanks for all of the responses. We climbed Moosilauke (Gorge Brook-Carriage Road-Snapper) and it was really nice. Report and pictures are here.

Enjoyed reading your trip report. My wife and I and our 10 year old lab, Jet, were up on Moosilauke on Friday. A perfect hike for us middle-agers (Jet enjoys hikes without our 2 year lab along - I'd been promising her one all summer!)

dogs in the whites-camping and hiking

hi all-I have 3 belgian sheepdogs and we hike daily in the 1000 footers of harriman park in suburban NY. i am organizing a trip with some folks in my group to the whites this summer in late august and we are looking for
1-dog friendly campgrounds for car camping without too many rules and surcharges per dog
2-good hikes for our dogs--there will be about 7 people and 5-6 dogs we think. all our dogs are experienced trail dogs for around here in NY but new to the whites. we'd love to do some 4000 fters if we can avoid too many miles of the sharp rocks which will hurt the dogs' feet.
would love some input on good campgrounds near twin mt area and/or dog friendly motels w cabins which allow as many dogs as people have. we've found limitations on the number of dogs and major nightly surcharges per dog. a friend told us about some primitive camping that is free which is ok for some of us but some of us want more comforts. thanks so much--

banjolady said:
would love some input on good campgrounds near twin mt area and/or dog friendly motels w cabins which allow as many dogs as people have. we've found limitations on the number of dogs and major nightly surcharges per dog. a friend told us about some primitive camping that is free which is ok for some of us but some of us want more comforts. thanks so much--

All the USFS White Mountain National Forest campgrounds allow dogs. Usual rules are to keep the dog confined to your campsite (i.e., not allow it to roam), not leave your dog at the campsite, and not allow the dog to disturb other campers. You will "probably" have to have the dog on a leash in the campground.

NH state parks have park-by-park pet prohibitions and restrictions Note for instance that pets are barred from Lafayette Campground at Franconia and allowed in the Crawford Notch campground.

p.s. Your Belgians' hair is too dark and too long, but shorter, straight hair is OK. ;) Can you guess which of the four we have at home? (Ignore my avatar photo.)

Last edited:
sardog--you've got a malinois eh? thanks for the link to the campgrounds. how is the sugarloaf campground? that one looked pretty good and it is in the area we want. I don't care about the showers, we can bring shower bags and that will be fine, as long as there is good water.
if you go to www.ofoto.com and sign in with
[email protected] and use the pw campfire you can see all 3 of my belgians plus assorted other dogs from our hiking group.
these campgrounds do not mention a per dog surcharge or limit on number which is great. thanks so much!
susan

Haven't stayed at either of the Sugarloafs, so maybe someone else here can give you some info. The nice thing about the online reservation system is the ability to pick out-of-the way sites, to diminish the disturbance of the ever-watched perimeter. ;)

Yes, we have two Malinuts. My wife's cousin had Sheepdogs and is still partial to them.

In the Whites, though I haven't taken my dog on these hikes, I would recommend Garfield or the Twins for they have views without excessive crowds and numerous obstacles. I saw numerous dogs on Mt. Moosilauke also.

I hiked with my golden, Aspen up Big Slide, Yard, and Ester in the ADK's. Big Slide and Yard Provided some challenges and Aspen really enjoyed them and the summit of Big Slide. I would not recommend this hike for inexperienced (non woods/outdoors familiar) or clumsy dogs. Ester was easy, but the views were not great. Pics here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/553935560fDqdCj

Can you see the smile on her face?

Hiking with a dog is quite pleasant as they are a non-complaining and VERY jubilant companion as long as they are fit for strenuous activity. I have seen some hefty and out of shape dogs on the trail and I must say it is a pitiful site so always make sure your pup is ready!

-Dom :)

Last edited:
For certain areas of the Daks, the High Peaks Wilderness in particular, there is a strict on leash restriction. I *think* that Big Slide/Yard/Brothers are in that region and there is also a big ladder on that loop that insn't quite dog friendly.

As has been said before, I would also caution you on hikes longer than 4 miles for an 18 month old large breed puppy, or off leash hikes where you cannot control the overall exertion/mileage.

Postholing in snow for a dog at any age is quite risky.

una_dogger said:
I *think* that Big Slide/Yard/Brothers are in that region and there is also a big ladder on that loop that insn't quite dog friendly.

Correct,

descending down Yard toward JBL there is a big ladder, which dogs have to circumvent. Luckily it is not in ultra steep terrain. There are also some higher ledges can pose a problem for dogs. Be prepared to assist you dog if necessary. The rock scrambles up The Brothers are challenging for them as well. This loop is not an easy route for dogs and you must exercise caution.

-Dom

Last edited:
If you don't mind "bear warnings"...

There is a wilderness camping area that Tripoli Rd runs through [Exit 31 I-93]. It requires a weekend parking permit (~$20 last year) and there are virtually no rules. It is close enough to Lincoln/Woodstock that you can run out for a bite to eat. The only facilities is a port-a-potty at the ranger station.

Mt Osceola and Mt. Tecumseh are very close by. I have taken my dog up Osceola, which is a very nice hike. Not too far away is Moosilauke which I found to be very dog-freindly (see report.) I haven't done Tecumseh yet.

Report:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14053

Last edited: