Doggie sleeping bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn Yogi

Reaction score
As I escalate my hiking/backpacking, and spend more days in the backcountry, during more seasons of the year, I am finding one of the greatest challenges is keeping my dog appropriately equipped. This past weekend on the AT in Mass, I was concerned she was not warm enough. Has anyone here used a doggie sleeping bag? I would also be interested in hearing how others have kept their hiking companions warm over night. My "pup" is an approximately 100 pound Greater Swiss Mt dog.
Thanks!

Is your Swiss Mt Dog living in the house in an overheated home and spending minimal time outside?
Mine is a "house" dog but is out most of the day. Her choice. The colder, the better, and the heat in the house can be down to 55-60.
I have had to shut the heat off in my truck and freeze because she is too hot.

How old is the girl? I did observe that my "mountain man", was cold when he was 14 yrs old. Sadly my first Swiss dog did not live to be old enough to get cold.

I have owned mostly big dogs, Akitas and Berners, and "mountain man" was a 35lb mix. They would have all sooner died that be outfitted in a nice warm coat or sleeping bag. Given a choice Molly would sleep out on a patch of ice in a blizzard. She gets PO'd if I make her come in my tent.

I try not to let her play in open water in the frigid temps but in most cases they are solid ice so it's not a problem. I do keep her off icy ponds, lakes, etc. just in case. I had one dog fall in and almost drowned. I don't want them thinking that all ice is safe and forging ahead to meet their demise.

Our wonderful Swiss dogs are meant to keep us from getting seriously hypothermic is we were lost in the mountains in winter. We would indeed be very fortunate to have them along. Big wooly furnaces.

Unless your dog is shivering I would not worry about it. They are designed for ice and snow.
If you are really worried you might want to carry a small closed cell pad for her in the tent but I seriously doubt this would be necessary.
A Swissy has a nice undercoat.

Meet MOLLY

IMG_0207.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TomD! Great link and I had not found that forum yet and, looks like there is a lot of other potential good info there!

Maddy, your post made me smile :). You sound like you have had some rugged pups there! I guess they have to be rugged to live up in MN! I would not say that our house is too terribly overheated but, the weather is so much more mild on the shoreline in CT than it is in the mountains even a little further north in New England. Plus, our Bindi LIVES to be with her humans! So, she spends her days keeping my husband's feet warm as he works at his computer, not outside.
To answer some of your questions, she is only 2 yo and she seems to have infinite tolerance for cold when she is moving. And my hunch is that is if had her in a tent with me, she would be okay. But, I have been enjoying the luxury of the lean-tos on the Long Trail and AT. About a month ago when I was planning an LT hike, I knew the weather was going to be hypothermia weather and on an impulse, I brought an extra largish emergency blanket my hubby had recently gotten after running a marathon. Bindi was wet and shivering one night as the winds whipped through the shelter , draping the emergency blanket over her really helped! Downside is, it is noisy and it does not stay on her all night. Not sure if she is getting out because she has warmed up or it just fell off. I will throw it back on her but, cannot sit up all night and watch for her shivering LOL! So, I was hoping from for something a little quieter that she might be able to crawl into if she gets chilly!
I might make something like a sleeping bag liner.
The advantage of the emergency blanket is it is small, water-proof and can easily be carried in her pack :)

When I camped with my dog, it was almost always with two people in the tent (either my wife or a friend). She would curl up between the two of use and not move. I always carry a 1/3 piece of a Ridge-Rest as a seat, to stand on, internal back protector, etc. If she was with me, I would slip that between the two sleeping pads for the humans, and she'd lay on that. If we were outside partying into the night, I'd just lay my bag over her. When it came time to go into the tent, I'd slip into my bag and lay it over her and I, unzipped. On one occasion I did have a spare fleece blanket I put over her. A few times I'd just put a puff jacket over her. I would check her often during the night, and even when it stretched below zero, she was never cold.

The worst times are the mornings. She's up and ready to go, and even if I'm rushing it's an hour of eating & packing. If it's cold, that's the toughest time for an idle dog. Nights were easy as she'd be tired, so she would eat and want to sleep anyway.

That explains it. Wet and cold is a bad combo even for dogs. I don't know if Bindi would crawl into a liner. Maybe carry a lightweight fleece blanket and you can always put the emergency blanket on over it if she is really cold.

BYW...I don't live in MN . I did an Outward Bound dogsled/ski expedition out there, and I got that pic off their web site. I love to be reminded of my time there. Minus 40 first night out. Our dogs were sleeping in the snow. They are sooo tough!

Last evening as I enjoyed TRAIL ANGELS on the documentary channel, I came up with this brand new plan for you.

Years ago, I used this nice red fleece lined, water repellent dog coat for my elderly...Old English Sheepdog when we camped out.
I have hung on to it for years.

This might just be the most practical approach to keeping your Bindi warm should she get wet and exposed to chilly, windy temps.
It's lightweight. It buckles so when properly secured they can't get it off. You would have no worries about covering her up and having the blankets fall off, and I honestly don't think she would sleep inside a bag and stay there.
I bet the coats are even more deluxe now than this one but it did the trick for Martha!

If she was very chilled, you could put the coat on and put the emergency blanket over her to warm her up. The other trick would be to carry some packets of low salt chicken or beef broth, boil water, and serve. This is something they drink, no question asked. It's quite the nice treat. Once you warm her from the inside out, you are good to go. Just keep the coat on and you should be able to get a good nights sleep! :)

IMG_1338.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks dug, I am pretty sure she would be okay in a tent! I do have to agree the mornings are the hardest time! Even if it is not cold, they are ready to go! She can’t seem to understand what is taking this silly human so long to get hiking ;)

Sweet of you to be thinking about my dilemma Maddy! I finally can see the picture of Molly and I think another major difference between our dogs is the hair! Molly looks like a Bernese Mt Dog to me, right? And they have oooodles more hair than my girl.

Meet Bindi

with Dana.jpgBindi herding.jpg

You are probably right, thinking that Bindi is not likely to stay inside a bag. And I may be thinking with my cat owner brain thinking she might try to crawl inside something if she were cold. But, looking at your picture (LOVE the moose) and reading your post, I got to thinking I could have Bindi sleep in the harness part of her pack (the saddle bags come off) and put the emergency blanket under the harness and that might keep it in place! She really just seems to need a thin something between her and the outside air if I am in a lean to and not a tent.

Speaking of dogs and skiing, have you ever done skijoring with Molly??

Hmmm, my pics did not seem to attach the same way yours did Maddy. Not sure what I am doing wrong.... Hope you can see them!

Bindi is adorable. I see worship in those eyes.

I think her coat is more like that of an Akita. Shorter fur but both undercoat and overcoat. Mol has both as well but she does have oodles of hair.
Akita's are very much mountain dogs as well. Bear hunters in fact. They tracked 800 lb Yezo bears in Japan.
Your plan sounds good. Sometimes it's trial and error until we get the perfect system.

Kodi took sure good care of Mol when she was a pup. And thus far have had no luck with my dogs and skijoring.
IMG_1228.jpg

Bindis pjs.jpg

This fall's solution to the chilled pup problem :)
Kept her mostly warm for our two week stretch on the AT in VA :)

At the risk of public contradiction, I will speculate that this particular dog lacks a double coat. The breed apparently often lacks one. Without an insulating layer under a topcoat, a dog will have a much harder time staying warm in truly cold temperatures. And keeping it indoors will not help in this regard. This is why I used to kennel my SAR dogs outside during the day.

I make this statement on the basis of several decades of experience working dogs in cold climates, as well as someone who's had to wear a hat far more frequently in the last several years ...

Lots of good ideas here. Consider getting a child's sleeping bag. Smaller, more compact. You can unzip to use as a doggie comforter, or if your dog allows zip up part of the way and tucked next to you warm even in very cold conditions.

Sardog1 you are spot on correct!!! Swissies are supposed to have a double coat and my girl has the expected coat around the neck and shoulders and thighs but, she really lacks it for most of her back and when the temps dip into the low thirties, she gets a little shivery. I know getting in my tent would make all the difference but with the days short and hiking hours limited, I have been enjoying the convenience of the shelters!

Thanks David! While I would have to agree, I know I am biased :). I have to say the only thing cuter was her hiking with a deer antler she found strapped to her pack. Looked like a unique variant of Max from "How the Grinch stole Christmas"!

Peakbagr I think that might be the final solution! Holding out hope for something I can strap to her pack!

When I backpack/winter camp with my Aussies (who have a thick coat) I simply let them sleep with my down coat covering them at night, and make sure they are laying on my thermarest, not the bare ground.

You can always slip thier front legs through and zip 'em up. Less wieght for you to carry during the day.

An old down jacket/vest from a thrift shop would do the job as well, if your's doesn't fit your dog.

Last edited: