Dogs and ledges on the Horn?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zimmer

Reaction score
I've not been up the Horn before, and am wondering about the ledges/scrambles at the top of the spur that the AMC guide mentions.

How problematic are they for a dog? Said dog has done other steep scrambles (most recently the Osceola chimney bypass, up and down, with one minor butt-boost necessary on the way up), but I don't want to do anything stupid.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If the dog can scramble up the Osceola Chimney, I would think it could scramble up The Horn. If you walk around the back side of the boulder at the top, there is a fairly easy path up, probably easier for the dog than for the human as there are spruce in the way. There are several choices of routes / paths up the final 25 feet.

NOTE: I am not a dog owner, but I've done both of these obstacles.

The Horn provides a fantastic view!

Tim

Last edited:
I dont remember any ledge type scrambles. Its mostly that they are some big boiulders at the top that require a bit of climbing. Not dangerous for the dog but could be a challenge of the dog want to join you on top of the boulder.

Horn

If your dog has been up the Osceolas Chimney, the Horn will be no problem. My dog has done both twice. (She's done Huntington Ravine twice, too, but I don't suggest this.) :eek:

KDT

JJHikes said:
Said dog has done other steep scrambles (most recently the Osceola chimney bypass, up and down, with one minor butt-boost necessary on the way up), but I don't want to do anything stupid.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How did your dog seem a day or two after? If stiff or sore I might reconsider, if she were mine.

Mine just covered a tough ~32 miles in the Daks this weekend, and was slightly stiff; and will be taking this week off in recovery for our next hikes.

My rule of thumb has been to not hike them to or past the point where they show signs of soreness if at all possible, simply because dogs naturally tend to hide pain until its severe. Seeing her stiff tells me I asked for too much.

Good luck with your pup, its great that you are thinking of her best interest.

una_dogger said:
How did your dog seem a day or two after? If stiff or sore I might reconsider, if she were mine.

He was fine the next day. Rarin' to go again. He's still very young (hiking with vet's approval; though I've heard folks here advise against hiking dogs under a year old, our vet is actually all for it). He didn't do the chimney on Osceola, but rather the bypass, and the more we hike, the better he gets.

We decided against Cabot this week for unrelated reasons and did Moriah instead via Carter-Moriah. Hopefully we'll do Cabot sometime in the next few weeks, and based on what I've read here, it sounds like he'll be fine.

Thanks, all!

our belgian sheepdogs just climbed washington via amonoosuc ravine and down the gulfside/jewell trails. they were tired last night but they were bouncing about with lots of energy this morning. we're home now. what a trip!! amazing!!!! we used ruffwear harnesses on them so we could lift them easily if they got stuck. izzy carried a pack but seemed annoyed by it so then mom and uncle elie carried his food and water. he was much happier.
will post pics soon. their paws are toughened by daily hiking here in harriman park so they had no problem on those rocks (mom was very slow and picked her way.) new trail slogan for me: i raced a glacier and the glacier won :)

Yes, the one near the Bulge. I didn't realize there was one in Maine as well. Sorry for the confusion.

The Smith/Dickerman "4000 Footers" book says that the "upper part of side trail is steep, rocky scramble, and climb to topmost rock requires use of hands." I think the newest edition of the WMG mentions it, too, but I can't locate my copy at the moment.
:p