Don't Feed the Bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giggy said:
There are no bears per se in MA/RI

Yes, there are bears in MA. I routinely see tracks in the winter (I'm a much better tracker when there's snow on the ground :D ). I have neighbors who've lost feeders, and a friend who sees them almost daily.

Waumbek said:
If you mean to ask whether...

My question was more wondering about why this was applicable to hiking, since it didn't involve a hiker, nor did it happen in a hiking/camping sort of situation.

Waumbek said:
To me, this is a reminder to be as careful as I can at home and out in the woods not to "feed the bears."

Excellent point, and thank you for elaborating on your original post.

Dugan said:
Yes, there are bears in MA. I routinely see tracks in the winter (I'm a much better tracker when there's snow on the ground :D ). I have neighbors who've lost feeders, and a friend who sees them almost daily.

yea - I know - note the per se - I know there are some in the western half - but I really meant the overpopulated eastern side of MA. I didn't communicate that in the best way. us easterners forget about you westerners from time to time ;) ;) - but take care of that dr wu for us now he is out there.. :D

dug said:
Rather interesting. If the bear raided your garden, would that count as feeding the bears? How about if it ate your cat?

Feed him another?

Kevin Rooney said:
Most states prohibit baiting of wild animals, although it's legal in some states/provinces. The subject is a real flashpoint for many people.

Baiting bears is legal in NH, at least the last time I checked. It is restricted in some areas and regulated as well.

giggy said:
yea - I know - note the per se - I know there are some in the western half - but I really meant the overpopulated eastern side of MA. I didn't communicate that in the best way. us easterners forget about you westerners from time to time ;) ;) - but take care of that dr wu for us now he is out there.. :D
There have been some recent sightings in overpopulated eastern Bedford, MA.

Doug