Down Parka

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I'm looking to invest in a *really* warm hooded down parka. Any recommendations? I'd like it to be at leat 700 fill down. Insulated hood a must. Would be handy if it stuffed into its own pocket. Full length zipper, I dislike pullovers.

MEC has the Cygnus 700 that looks tempting.

REI, Campor, EMS one of those places had my parka on sale for $150 or less. It's the North Face Nuptse. I actually got it at a place called Thunder Sports in Marlborough Mass. for only $99.00. It's 700 fill, but without the insulated hood, only a line hood included. It is priced to sell thou!

Nadine,

It would be easier to make suggestions if you could narrow things (ahem) down a bit on 3 fronts:
1) How warm is warm?
2) How weather proof do you want it?
3) Where is your personal value point?

In terms of warmth, I think you can roughly group the super warm parkas into 2 camps: a) expedition parkas that can go to Everest or Denali (ex Marmot 8000 Meter) and b) Belay parkas. Both of these styles have baffled construction like sleeping bags and almost always have attached hoods. The expedition parkas are going to be warmer, heavier, bulkier and more expensive.

In terms of weather and windproofness, the big question is whether or not you want a Gore type laminate in the shell to resists wind and moisture better. Good arguments on either side.

As is the case with sleeping bags, this is an area where the principle of diminishing returns kicks in. In general, you pay more for more thoughtful designs and marginal increases in durability and mariginal decreases in weight for a given warmth. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends will be top tier. Mountain Hardware and Marmot will be second tier. IMO, TNF, EMS and LL Bean (yes, Beans) will be roughly comparable.

Opinions differ but here's what I have.
I have a used Marmot (Primaloft Synthetic) Belay Parka with a plain Pertex outer. I don't regret having a non-Gtx type outer since it only gets used in dry cold (no rain). I do wish it was down for better compressability. I wouldn't bother with a full expedition parka because of weight and bulk.

I also have an EMS down sweater ($30 on clearance). I actually think the EMS design is better than the Marmot design in many ways I wouldn't hesitate with going with another EMS down jacket.

jacket recommendation

i went back & forth between down and primaloft. there's pros/cons i suppose with either. the main thing factors for me were; warmth, cost, bulk/weight. i purchased a golite 6 mos parka (primaloft) from killer deals/northern mt supply. i believe it was originally $199 but they have it on sale for $49. i've worn it several times now with the brutal cold and winds and i have been EXTREMELY warm. initially i kept dressing like usual but found i was overdressed. i have been able to eliminate the need for at least 2 layers with this jacket. and, it stows into it's own sack , has a hood, plenty of internal pockets, & of course, being a golite it's -- light! i think it's some of the best bang for your buck. if they have it in your size - try it for yourself.
oh and one other thing - this jacket falls below your waist. keep in mind your pack will pull or push your jacket up a bit. if it just hits at your waist your waist is going to get cold & so is your butt. this one is longer and toasty warm (insulated hood also)

Last edited:
I also bought that GoLite jacket from Northernmountain and wore it on the Franconia Ridge between Lincoln and Lafayette and it has always kept me warm, I know it isn't down but I got it for $29 and the price and warmth couldn't be beat.

sli74

jacket

i think the golite for $29 was the "coal" which is also a good jacket but lighter than the "6-mos". just wanted to pass that along in case anyone looks & wasn't sure which one i was talking about. i did order that one also to check it out but it wasn't nearly as warm as the "coal" and for the extra $20 i felt i should go with the "6-mos" (it has definitely paid for itself this winter! either way both are awesome deals. gave the "coal" to my 83 yr-old mom to wear on her almost daily walks

Since people are talking the synthetic/down thing I figured I chime in with my outlook:

My sleeping bags are down, my parkas (tend to be) synthetic.

My reasoning is twofold: I want a synthetic backup in the case my down gets soaked and with the weight gap closing between synthetic and down I get more of the down advantage using a down bag. You can save pounds with a down bag, but will likely save ounces using a down jacket.

I almost always use the Mountain Hardware Chugach jacket though I have a TNF summit down Jacket with the dryloft frills. The down jacket is warmer, but I've never been wanting in the Chugach. If I was buying now I'd look at the Patagonia DAS parka (synthetic) that costs about as much as a down or an on sale down sweater that you will likely find on sale in the next few weeks.

Nadine,

A couple weeks ago the North Face outlet store in Freeport had a bunch of down parkas in various sizes on sale with big savings. I recall looking long and hard at a very warm hooded, stuffable parka marked down from $299 to less than $130.

At the same time, the Patagonia store next door was selling everything in the store at 40% off the lowest marked price.

I don't know whether either of these sales events is still going on.

Thanks everybody, and sardog1.

Too late for the Freeport sales, but am looking at purchasing online now for an end of season deal. I contacted Campmor for a deal on a women's Mtn Hardware Sub Zero SL hooded down parka. Will know by tomorrow if they have one in stock.

This has been the coldest and most windy ski season I can ever remember.

Nadine

question for dave m. i notice you said 'yes, beans', as if that were unusual..what did you mean exactly? curious

Nadine,
If you don't get one from Campmor try doing a seach for Mountain Hardware and numerous places will come up that sell them. I bought a black one for everyday use and a red one for hiking. (I want to be visible.)
I positively love them. Just got them a few weeks ago.
I did buy a man's size but it's the same parka.
Good Luck.
Maddy

Nadine,

I recently picked up a Sub-Zero SL parka through a warranty exchange with MH. It is an excellent parka! Though not a 700 fill, it is VERY puffy - the pics just don't do it justice. The Conduit membrane is a very good wind-block and the hood is very warm. i think for the money, it is one of the better deals - in terms of a down top. Also, it has really tough reinforcements in all the right places - the butt and the entire length of the sleeve, including the shoulders (which may be a little overkill...). It is a bit heavy though, but definitely warm.

FWIW,

Mm