Drawing the line between hiker and climber

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Marty Engstrom and his weather reports
Breeze
And let's not forget his cat Fluffy. As a kid we used to watch his weather bits on WMTW, Poland Springs, Maine in eager anticipation that she would walk in front of the camera. We were both delighted and mesmerized. You never knew when it was going to happen, so around supper-time there was often shouts of "Come quick! Marty Engstrom is on!"

And JakeD - it isn't how many 4's you climb, or how often you do that gains respect and acceptance on this board. Tolerance, respect for others, non-judgemental attitude, complete lack of bomb-throwing, actual real-life experience before rendering opinions - these are a few of the traits I look for. Others may have different criteria.

Somewhat off-topic: I've long held the theory that the maximum disdain for other people participating in a similar pursuit is generally displayed most prominently by people who fall somewhere in the middle of the experience spectrum. Beginners are too generally overwhelmed to be critical, while those with a wealth of more experience may speak in more measured tones, having gotten over the know-it-all period that seems to accompany having a modicum of experience, perhaps tempered by a few incidents along the way that reminded them of their own human frailty.

It always amazes me when someone slams people on the summit of Washington who got there by the road or the Cog. First off, who in hell gave you the title of king of the mountain? I love Mt. washington, I stopped counting ascents, but lets say Im at least at 60+ for the peak, more then half of those winter solos, so I can give my 2 cents. The mountain has a history and an allure that many mountains do not have, the explorers, the scientist, the many hikers who have died on its flanks, while its busy at the top, its part of the mountain that makes it what it is. I talk to tourist, answer thier questions and try to be a good hiker host. I moved here from CO a few yrs back to care for my Mom, she cant hike, but I like to do stuff with her. I took her up the Cog, she was so amazed at the summit and on the Cog. The look of pleasure she had as we ran around, pointing out mountains and talking of the peak was worth every minute and every penny. IF someone was to walk by us and say " Hey this mountain is for hikers only!" Id throw his ass into the great gulf. There are many mountains for you to be alone and superior on, go to them and leave be those who at least in there own way seek adventure on a great mountain. Ok amybe that 4 cents.:D

I haven't read this whole thread, perhaps tonight by Kindle Light as it looks good...and the OPQ was probably answered similarly in here already...but:
In a simple way, if you fall while hiking you can get hurt. If you fall while climbing you can get dead. That's the difference for me.

Sorry folks,
It was not my intention to hijack the thread and make Jake delete all his posts.
I have never been a fan of the auto road or the cog ( meaning, I have never used them ) but, it's nice to know they are an option when the day comes ( heaven forbid ) that I am unable to climb/hike to the top.
I am glad the road/cog are there and it never bothers me when I get to the top to see other folks enjoying their experience on the roof of the northeast.
I know what to expect and if I really want more solitude, there are many other peaks to choose from !

There are some things worth being a snob about ... good tequila for example ... but our chosen hobbies is not one of them ... especially when it comes to judging others by the simple fact of their mode up Mt. Washington. Anyway ... I'm glad to know we've reached complete agreement on the difference between a climber and a hiker before all hell broke loose!

One of 500 annual lazy and obese autoroad users ;)

Tim
In southern California,that dude might be considered out of shape:D To me it looks like he might not make it through winter here!Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Glad this thread worked itself out.Hope we can all be friends!And remember when in doubt,blame Steve-o[is this the same steve-o,in all those cool winter baxter trip pics from the last couple of years?]

In southern California,that dude might be considered out of shape:D To me it looks like he might not make it through winter here!

cxnatz01.jpg

I think the New England men are at the front of this pack (the arrow is me) and the California boys are lying on the ground 'cuz they can't ride in snow ;) (this is in Providence, RI, Cyclocross National Championships 2005)

Tim

I think the New England men are at the front of this pack (the arrow is me) and the California boys are lying on the ground 'cuz they can't stand up and push their bikesin snow ;) (this is in Providence, RI, Cyclocross National Championships 2005)

Riding? Fixed it for ya'. ;)

Sometimes, it is faster and more maneuverable to be off the bike :) Especially when there are riders from California lying on the ground in your way ;)

Tim

Last edited:
I'll end this before the drift goes too far. The movie On Any Sunday, a 1971 documentary about motorcycling starring Steve McQueen. They referred to "using your buddies for traction in the corners"

Saw that one! Damn good and quite a variety of sports covered. Loved the line about the Japanese racetracks and the betting - no crowd cheer and said it was like watching 100,000 people on valium!

Just shows how different sports are depending on location and perspective!

I guess a significant portion of the trip (hard to put a number on it) has to involve enough exposure and technical know-how for it to be "climbing" as opposed to "hiking." There are hiking trails where, if only briefly, the hiker is exposed to long falls, and conversely there are times when you may free climb a route or part of a route where you would ideally be roped up.

And all the hoopla over Mt. Washington... there's no tourist traffic up there for more than half the year. It's easy to avoid if that kind of thing bothers you. Just necessary to expand one's seasonal horizons. ;)