Engine Hill for a moose fix

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I've been suffering a moose jones....haven't seen one in almost a month....so...

Spectacular weather today on Engine Hill! Rocky Branch Trail, as far as the height-of-land, is completely dry...just a dusting of snow.

From there it was an awesome day of exploring the mountain side...

IMG_2113aaa.jpg

warm late autumn beauty..I saw 2 moose trot away from this spot...neither had antlers but I couldn't tell if they were cows or bulls who had dropped antlers for the season...awesome

IMG_2118aaa.jpg

Engine Hill is such a nice mountain to explore...

IMG_2119aaa.jpg

views to Mt. Isolation...
IMG_2122aaa.jpg

Then I came upon a bull without antlers. At first I thought it was a "root moose" which is what I refer to when the rootball of a blowdown tree looks like a moose through the trees. I stared at it until I saw a plume of breath in the cool air! That's the first time I confirmed a moose sighting by that means :rolleyes:

He let me move in a little closer..

IMG_9564aaa.jpg

IMG_9566aaa.jpg

IMG_9567aaa.jpg

I decided to try to call him closer with a cow call. As soon as I did the call another bull with a nice rack took off...I didn't even know he was there..

IMG_9576aaa.jpg

I tracked them for an hour and caught up to them 4 times. They wanted to see who was following them so they never went too far ahead, but they didn't let me get with them either. But it was an awesome autumn day in the mountains with moose...just what I needed :)