Environmentally Friendly Mosquito Repellent Coming?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
"researchers report that they have identified a compound that blocks the ability of the insects [mosquitos] to detect it [CO2]. The finding is interesting because it is the CO2 we exhale that draws mosquitoes to us."

NYTs article

I am a firm believer in a heavey garlic meal before a hike. Also, a good smack on the pesty insect never hurts, well maybe not the insect. Do not let PETA see you do this though.

Interesting... Many many years ago, I remember some people swearing that they wouldn't get bitten if they ate a lot of bananas before hiking.
Possible, but of course many chemicals in our food are broken down in our digestive tracts and never reach our skin or breath.

At least that was what I was told when I enquired about the banana in their pockets.
Maybe a banana in one's pocket is a better bug repellent than one that has been eaten. On the other hand, maybe they are just happy to see you...

Doug

The original article refers to the chemicals repelling only the mosquito Culex quinquefasciatus. There is no reason to believe that they will repel anything else and maybe not even other species of mosquito.

My comment about a banana in one's pocket was a joke response to Pete's joke about the same. I certainly wouldn't carry one in my pocket (or likely anywhere else) while hiking. In fact, I just got back from some trail maintenance (MA AT) and had no bananas today. We were, however, attacked by black flies and mosquitoes and took refuge in some traditional DEET.

Doug

The two chemicals, 1-hexanol and 2,3-butanedione are pretty benign. The first is common in perfumes, the second is a food additive. But they're both volatile (relatively low boiling points), and I doubt they'd be effective for any significant amount of time, if they even worked at all. I'll stick to the DEET.

Seems to me there are plenty of enviromentally friendly insect repellants on the market that work very well, with out the use of DEET. Cintranella based products work well as do the lemon eucalyptus based products. I personally give two big thumbs up to Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellant. They claim 6 hour protection and the claim is pretty close, at least for me. I go out of my way to avoid DEET. I do alot of climbing and DEET has been shown to be damaging to some nylon/synthetic fibers. So I avoid it, better safe than sorry.
Not to mention the unknown side affects it has on the human body.(please, dont tell me the fda says its safe) Years ago DDT was routinly used on people and we all know how that turned out. I'll stick with mother nature and use what she provided. A little garlic and curry for dinner before I go out seems to help too.

Seems to me there are plenty of enviromentally friendly insect repellants on the market that work very well, with out the use of DEET. Cintranella based products work well as do the lemon eucalyptus based products. I personally give two big thumbs up to Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellant. They claim 6 hour protection and the claim is pretty close, at least for me. I go out of my way to avoid DEET. I do alot of climbing and DEET has been shown to be damaging to some nylon/synthetic fibers. So I avoid it, better safe than sorry.
Not to mention the unknown side affects it has on the human body.(please, dont tell me the fda says its safe) Years ago DDT was routinly used on people and we all know how that turned out. I'll stick with mother nature and use what she provided. A little garlic and curry for dinner before I go out seems to help too.
We have already been through this multiple times... See for instance, http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31058. Search on "deet" and you will find more past threads on the topic.

Summary:
1. DEET has been shown to be safe to humans when used properly.
2. DEET is a solvent--it damages some plastics. In particular, it will not damage nylon. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IG/IG12200.pdf http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-670.html
3. Picaridin has been shown to be as effective as ~20% DEET against mosquitoes. The "natural alternatives" do not work as well and/or last as long as DEET.

Doug

Nature's best insect repellent

I still say snow is the best insect repellent I've ever used.

Interesting stuff. I get about 3 mosquito bites per year, and the bite disappears within hours. This, of course, drive my wife insane because they just love her - and her bites last for days. (And I'm outside on the order of 5:1 over her.)

I DO often hike with a banana and then put the peel in the mesh side pocket, (vespids have never been attracted to it, btw) FWIW.

Because of the massive difference in the apparent tastiness of my and my wife's flesh, I follow this stuff with great interest.

Note: Deer flies and black flies have not gotten the message that I'm not a good meal. At all. :mad: