Everest Base Camp Trek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Hi everyone...
We just got back from our Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar trek and have begun posting a series of installments of the trip on our website. I know it's not exactly New England trip reports, but we thought it might be of some interest.
It was an amazing, trip, truly beyond words in many ways. Nice to be back!
We also have a Facebook page called The Nepal Chronicles if you would "like" updates. Here are a couple pics!
Thanks for indulging!
Dan

0_0_bc09f3842dfb8e0c4e6fd13691956894_1

0_0_9e928f7940d8971390cd0ea56d768651_1

0_0_f20efc952ddb886414d4039a85635d71_1

sweet pics! must have been a pretty amazing experience. the scale of everything out there would totally blow me away. gotta get to the himalayas soon.

i don't have any desire to go to everest base camp and i'm wondering if i'm wrong about some of my impressions of it. so did you find base camp a cool place or a little disappointing.. is it totally trashed? was it your want to see base camp to do the trek or did you go for the trek itself.. or both.. or just curious.

Photo 17 made me look a couple of times to figure it out. :confused:

With the prayer flags right there is threw off the scale for me at first. My initial reaction was a picture of apuddle with the little pieces of trash, huh, ok that's too bad. Then I figured out...those are tents!!!! Nice :D

Looks like a trip and excellent weather. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great pics! Can't wait to see more. I was there in 92; our team climbed Pumori. I noticed several pics of Pumori in the favorites. It really is very photogenic from the South, isn't it?

Looks like considerable melting has taken place in 18 years, too. I was surprised to see Everest Base Camp between those big brown ponds. It wasn't melted when I was there.

Rolling Rock - Good time does not even begin to describe it! LOL. It is a scary and also magical place. As soon as I left, I wanted to go back!

Leaf - Base Camp wasn't trashed, but it wasn't anything special either in terms of views etc. (All though, up there EVERYPLACE is special relatively specaking! LOL) That said, our final hike to Base Camp was the most difficult part of the hike. We had left very early that morning to get to Gorek Shep, about 17,000 feet, and were very tired and a little sick by the time we got to town. After an early lunch we headed off that same afternoon. It took us a long time and I think the pure exhaustion of the hike created quite an emotional scene at the Base Camp rock. There were many people there cheering and crying, including us. One other thing, there were no teams at Base Camp when we were there so there was nothing to see at Base Camp proper. The Base Camp rock in the pic is along the ice fall but a little ways off from the normal Base Camp.
To answer your other question, like any summit, our goal was to attain Kala Patthar. Base Camp was frosting on the cake! But of course, just being there for two wonderful weeks, tromping around in one of the most beautiful places on the planet would have been sufficed nicely!

TCD and Nif - Thanks! Pumori is amazing in every way. I think I took more pictures of it that Everest! And TCD, believe it or not, that camp between the two glacier melts is for Pumori, and you're right according to a porter we chatted with it's a fairly new camp placed there due to melting. It's really literally at the base of Pumori now. Where was your camp when you were there?
Here's a Facebook link to some shots of Everest:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2093685&id=1503068533&l=44c8263a2d

Great pics!! Just returned from Nepal last night...will be workign on my TR.

Kala Patthar was one of our acclimating climbs before Island peak. It had some of the most spectacular scenery of the whole trek....we sat on the summit for a couple hours soaking the views all in!!

Glad your trek went well!!

Thanks for sharing your pics!!!:D

awesome...very blessed to get the chance to see this.

it may not be a "northeast" trip report...but, really? Isn't Everest the golden fruit for most hikers?

Hi Darl, welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your trip. Glad you enjoyed Kala Patthar as much as we did, it's a special place.
And thanks Hikes With Him, yup, we consider ourselves very lucky to have had this chance!
Oh and a FYI, if anybody is a Facebooker, we created a community page called The Nepal Chronicles to update family and friends on pictures and new chapters as they come out. We'd love to have "likes"
Thanks for all your kind words.
Dan

Nice pics, Dan

Dan,

Very nice photos of Everest and Pumori. Thanks for sharing.

I've been to Nepal 3 times and I'm planning a return trip (Mount Everest Marathon, just need to keep on training).

Darl,

I hope you'll share your Island Peak climb on VFTT.

Cheers,

Hi Brew,
Whoa, wow! The marathon? Dang, you have some Sherpa blood in you? That's pretty hardcore! Good luck!

Dan,

Very nice photos of Everest and Pumori. Thanks for sharing.

I've been to Nepal 3 times and I'm planning a return trip (Mount Everest Marathon, just need to keep on training).

Darl,

I hope you'll share your Island Peak climb on VFTT.

Cheers,

Just got back on Sunday night, so pictures are downloading and sorting through, but yes I will have an Island Peak TR hopefully by this week to share (after I cook Turkey for 20 family members)....19 days of trekking was amazing and it's tough to sort through everyday life now...:eek: