Famed Revelation on Waumbek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
After a rain check from last weekend, today certainly made up for the rain we had most of this dying week. So Marty, Rols, and I tagged Waumbek today, bright and early at six a.m. We moved rapidly in the course of three hours through the lower elevations into a garden of sweet smelling conifers, like a return visit from Christmas. But we did not go far with the barebooting and just as the three of us entered the thick corny snow, it was time for snowshoes. Thus, we continued, with one of us racing ahead, using those youthful strides while it lasts.

Starr King was pleasant on top, a little hazy, but the sky was clear and the views that yielded to us, were amazing. Being the inaugural visit, I was blown away how gentle the slopes going down and up to Waumbek were. I suppose it’s the personal experience that fills in the gaps in a trail description. But once we found the top, a pile of snow, we all celebrated number 41 with a Hershey bar and proceeded back to Starr King.

For Marty and Rols, it was rather amusing to see some other folks from VFTT know of their greatness. On our way down, we ran into SteveHiker en route to completing his 48s with his two companions. Blue and her other fellow were also heading up as well, and we also met other strangers too, and I apologize if there are any who slipped from my pen. This revelation in discovering how many people knew my two fine cohorts surely surprised them.

But we finished almost five hours later at 1100, a true morning hike. The Presidentials unveiled themselves for a stunning show as we headed back to the cars. While Marty and Rols, I don’t think are really keeping tabs on the peaks climbed, I’m about seven away now from finishing. Where I may end, I’ll indulge you a secret, it’s probably to be the biggest of the list, but who knows.

Thanks again for a grand day out!

After a great Winter season, it was nice to exit Winter with a "gentle" day. I am already looking forward to next Winter not that there isn't lots to enjoy and look forward to in the upcoming Spring, Summer and Fall.

Thanks for the trail company and trail report.

Clarke and Rols, great hiking with you as always. Nice meeting some nice folks on the trails, including some VFTT members and lurkers.

I got a good workout from this relatively easy hike due to wearing my old big honking 33 inch snowshoes. What a contrast from my MSR Lightning Ascents. Kind of glad I wore them.

Look forward to our next hike. Congrats on getting another peak, Clarke!

Marty

It was great running into you guys yesterday. I hadn't seen any of you in a while.

Thanks for the early congratulations. I'm just glad I didn't fall and hurt myself thus negating them.

Nice job men, wish I could have been there.

Marty, how many winter peaks is that??:p

Congtrats on the W48 Steve........

Ridgewalker ,Marty,and Rols- I was one of the people you met. Roland my hiking partner of~25 years and I met you when you were about 3/4 of the way out. What a funny day. Around every corner we would meet someone from VFFT. Some of the others were Blue and also LRiz who was on her second hike of the day at around 4PM. We didn't know who it was until later,but we saw mtruman atop Starr King.
Had a couple of great views especially because of standing on top of deep snow. Great view just past summit of Waumbek even though the skies got dark and cloudy. The ubiquitous grayjays searched us out on Starr King.:)
waumbek1.jpg

John -2Far's pop

Last edited: