Fast Pass High Speed Lane Open at I-93 Tollbooth

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
For those of you driving from the south up I-93 and you have a fast pass, you'll be happy to know that the high speed lane for 'Fast Pass' is finally opened! It was sweet just cruising right thru! :)

Except if you were behind the guy who stopped, got out, and tried to jump the barrier to go pay, because he didn't have an EZ Pass. Time to thin the herd!

High Speed is good, but just imagine if there were no tolls on any highways! Why do we have to pay for some highways, (some are even just stretches of a highway), and not others? Bulldoze the toll barriers, (there was a candidate for NJ governor who promised this - but obviously did not get elected!), get rid of the Toll collection and EZPASS Infrastructure, and fold the cost into the (gas or other) taxes. Problem(s) solved! Tons of money saved!

Drawbacks?

One drawback........my taxless state benefits from the Southerners that drive up to the North Country. Keep the tolls open and let the tourists do the work!!! I don't mind paying the $2 to go to the airport.

I had an opportunity to drive thru in both directions today - worked great. They did a good job designing both the approach and the merge process. I puzzled a bit over the acronym used on the electronic BB's, however.

Wait, what's the diff between Fast Pass and EZ Pass?

Fastlane in Mass is now being called EZ-Pass, so there is even less difference.

Are there any electronic tolling systems in the northeast that aren't compatible?

Fastlane in Mass is now being called EZ-Pass, so there is even less difference.

Are there any electronic tolling systems in the northeast that aren't compatible?

IIRC, there are two major national systems, with the Mississippi the approx. dividing line. The transponders used in NH, Maine & MA also work in NY, IN, and OH, as well as other states.

High Speed is good, but just imagine if there were no tolls on any highways! Why do we have to pay for some highways, (some are even just stretches of a highway), and not others? Bulldoze the toll barriers, (there was a candidate for NJ governor who promised this - but obviously did not get elected!), get rid of the Toll collection and EZPASS Infrastructure, and fold the cost into the (gas or other) taxes. Problem(s) solved! Tons of money saved!

Drawbacks?

The People in NH do not want a sales tax, as a result money for roads and such has to come from somewhere. The NH DOT cannot even come close to having the funds needed to pay for bridges and roads.

Drawbacks?

great idea- I can't wait for the bridges in NYC being free. That $10.25 fee one way is a little steep.
Of course making people in upstate NY subsidize the city dwellers doesn't seem very fair.

NH tax policy, in general, is off-topic for this thread. The moderators do not mind tax discussions on the F&G/SAR funding issue as it is directly relevant. Here, it's just ranting.

Tim

IIRC, there are two major national systems, with the Mississippi the approx. dividing line. The transponders used in NH, Maine & MA also work in NY, IN, and OH, as well as other states.

They work pretty much up and down the east coast - we've gone from NH to North Carolina and paid all tolls through EZ Pass, including NJ, PA and DE. We've also gone as far west as Illinois and been able to use them (helpful in the mess known as Chicago).

NH tax policy, in general, is off-topic for this thread. The moderators do not mind tax discussions on the F&G/SAR funding issue as it is directly relevant. Here, it's just ranting.

Tim

Thank you. I find topics like these are better saved for on-trail discussion. Perhaps while removing a blowdown? :)

NJ, NY has had the 60mph EZ pass lanes for a while now, it is pretty nice not to have to slow down (that much). Most of the exit tolls though are still 5-20mph in NY though.. Of course, it doesn't help anybody when there is a 2 mile backup to the Woodbury Toll plaza on the NY State Thruway, fortunately, those days are over for me since I moved north.

Jay

i was wondering what the hey was going on when i drove thru there and there was no toll. i didnt see any verbage about them being ez pass lanes.

Tim

Ranting? it goes directly to the point of tearing down the Tolls, which is what I was commenting on.

If you drove through there without an EZ pass, even if you didn't see anything about it at the time, somehow I have a feeling you will. :D
According to NHPR, if you don't have an EZ pass, you'll get a bill in the mail for the cost of the toll plus a $1 administrative fee. If you do this repeatedly, at some point the fee will increase. At another location the fee was $25, which not only was unpopular, but caused people to stop in the high speed lanes in order to pay their toll - something that is obviously very dangerous. The Hookset toll plaza has a large overhead sign which reads DO NOT STOP.

There are cameras which photograph each plate/vehicle passing though.

silly silly. i have an ez pass. just commenting i went thru there, expected the usual tollbooth, and went thru without seeing any verbage about anything. of course maybe the fact i was asleep had something to do with it