Favorite Peaks/Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I was just curious as to what is your favorite mountain or hike in the Northeast. In the Adirondacks I would have to say that Haystack had phenominal views and by far is my favorite. Also, one of the "lesser" peaks that is my favorite is Mount Colvin. I hike up there this past June and the views of the Great Range are awesome and of the Ausable Lakes.

Really though if the truth be told they are all my favorite. The mountains hold a special place within me that keeps me coming back for more :)

Happy Trails,

ADAM

Dream trip

I’m sure if I spent more time thinking about it I could change my mind but the initial trigger of favorite trail would have to be Howker Ridge (to Madison) with Amphibrach/Spur (to Adams) a close second. Also contending would be Beaver Brook (to Moosilauke), Ammonoosuc Ravine (to Washington), Airline (to Adams) and
Stoney Brook (to Moriah). But Howker Ridge was a joy from beginning to end which I wouldn’t say of the others.

But favorite peak would be a tie between Mt. Davis and North Percy. Both felt so remote yet wide open space to enjoy. West Bond would be a close contender but due to small (comparatively) summit area you best enjoy it if alone (fortunately I was able to do that once). Other contenders would be Slide Peak, Lincoln, S.Twin, Hight,
Garfield, Chocorua and the Moats.

I even think I have a favorite parking lot – the Ammo lot.

So if I could park in the Ammo lot, hike the Howker Ridge trail and end up on North Percy that would be lovely. :D

(But then again parking at Roaring Brook, hike Chimney Pond and Hamlin Ridge and on to Baxter would take a close second - except that descent down Helon Taylor took it from dream trip to nightmare :eek:)

i reserve the right to add places, but i really like (for a less strenuous hike) lowe's path to adams and then down airline. the roadwalk back to lowe's is even all right as you feel kinda kerouackian shufflin' along the road. the castle trail to jefferson is also nice.

king ravine to adams is great fun as well though a little more strenuous.

i also like the huntington ravine trail on a sunny weekday in the summer.

oh yeah, cabot from the north too for that real north country flava!

and i'm with carole for the ammo lot. great place to huck the spot post-hike.

carole already mentioned my favorite (Howker Ridge), so I'll just comment that I really like bruno's word "kerouackian." :D

Steve

favorite peaks

NH
1 Bond 2 Bondcliff 3 Adams

VT
1 Mansfield 2 Camels Hump 3 Abraham(Monroe Skyline)

NY(so far....only 1/3 of the way thru 46)
1 Algonquin 2 Iriquois 3 Giant

ME (so far....havent been to Baxter yet)
1 Avery 2 West Bigelow 3 The Horns

The Burroughs Range in the Catskills is my #1 best hike. The views from Wittenburg and Slide are just the best and the climbs really get the heart going.

The best hike more local to me would be the Buttermilk Falls trail in the Delaware Gap NPS. The trail starts out in a very scenic valley with a 200ft waterfall. You get a great climb to the top of the Kittatinny ridge and Rattlesnake Mtn. Overall a great hike with a sense of being in the middle of nowhere.

Doubletop in BSP is high on my list, as is Goose Eye and the Baldpates (I love most of what I've done in Maine). In the Whites: Adams (any way, any time), West Bond (any way - just getting there is awesome!), and a close second Jefferson (via 6 Husband). In the ADK's, scared to admit it, but Couchie memories keep me smiling. Had to work for that one.

My favorite mountain is definitely Goose Eye in Maine. There are a few ways to do it as full or partial loops. A great loop is the Wright Trail,which starts just north of Bethel (near Ketchum, ME). You can also do the Goose Eye Trail, AT and Carlo Col Trail loop from Success Pond Road. If you have two cars or a mountain bike, you can do a semi-loop using Notch Trail, AT and Goose Eye Trail. NOTE: Success Pond Road can be nasty, especially if you have low ground clearance.

There are many things that go into the making of a favourite hike. Your mood during the period preceding the hike, the weather, your companions and their moods etc. etc.
So far, my favourite is this: bushwhack to the base of the Wright Slide in the ADKs, Mt Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, the Tooth, Mt Marshall and back out to the Loj via Indian Pass trail. The weather was exquisite (sp?) the anticipation and planning lengthy, I was wondering if I was bighting off more than I could chew on this one. However, it went off without a hitch and is my favourite NE hike to date.

Tough to choose, but I'd say: Maine--Katahdin,OJI, Mahoosuc Notch, and the Bigelows. NH--The Bonds, Franconia Ridge, Mt Nancy. VT--Camels Hump and the Ellen-Abraham traverse.

Never been to the Daks. Need to get there soon though

Mt Chocorua with my daughters in 1994 (seems so long ago) was my favorite hike of all time.
Hamlin Peak in Baxter State Park is my favorite peak.
Favorite notch? Mahoosuc, of course.
Favorite waterfall? Ripley Falls after torrential rains in early April.

carole said:
except that descent down Helon Taylor took it from dream trip to nightmare :eek:)
carole - try going the opposite direction next time you go back to baxter (up helon taylor and down hamlin ridge) it is better going up than down (such a nice place everyone should go back).
favorite peaks
most everyone is impressed by the 4000+ footers, many are nice... but dont stop there - try the baldface loop in the white mountains - - - - really impressive (these would just barely qualify for catskill peaks at just over 3500') but they are much nicer than many of the 4000 footers.

if you go to quebec for 4000' mont jaques cartier... don't miss mont albert (under 4000') it is a great hike - do the loop.

Wow, asking for a favorite peak or hike is like asking which of your kids is your favorite. There are few hikes I would not do again, so my list would be extensive. However, I'd have to say some of my favorite places to visit are: West Bond, Lafayette loop, Chocorua, North Moat, Avery Peak (ME) and Camels Hump (VT).

Of course, some of the best hikes are the ones closest to brewpubs for that well deserved after hike beer!

Love them all!

The MacIntyre Range (Algonquin, Boundary, Iroqouis, Shepherd's Tooth) in winter offers long exposure above treeline and great views. It is certainley not as exposed as the Presidentials, but for the ADKs it's one of the best.

Mount Abraham, Maine hiked from the loffing roads to the southeast is one of the nicest hikes I have done here in Maine. Of course, it helped that I had some of the best weather of the year on this hike (10-29-2004)
:) :rolleyes: :eek: :D :eek: ;) :p :cool:

can i add some?
chocorua via the three sisters (i forgot the trail names) in 'winter conditions' cause it gets real slickery and scary up top.

the bonds as a trail run either out and back from lincoln woods or parkin' at the twins trailhead and goin' across to lincoln woods.

a lot of times though, my favorite is whatever i last hiked.

TenPeaks said:
Wow, asking for a favorite peak or hike is like asking which of your kids is your favorite. There are few hikes I would not do again, so my list would be extensive. However, I'd have to say some of my favorite places to visit are: West Bond, Lafayette loop, Chocorua, North Moat, Avery Peak (ME) and Camels Hump (VT).

Of course, some of the best hikes are the ones closest to brewpubs for that well deserved after hike beer!

I'll drink to that! :)

Bond Cliff was awesome. Those are some serious cliffs!

Algonquin in the ADKs is an amazing place to be on a cold, clear, winter day. I'll never forget my first winter peak, a 5000'er to boot! The wind was ripping thru every layer of clothing I had on, but I didn't care, it was just euphoric to be up on top of the world! The view went on for ever and ever. And dang! I'll have to go back to Algonquin to do Iroquois in winter some day! :)

tough question! sorta torn between the rare and familiar:
crawford on a crystal clear nov day; n. percy by the underhill route; garfield on a last day of an era, 9/10/01, a day as clear as the next day.

old favorites: moosilauke, kearsarge, cardigan, and, yes, washington, especially the view to the west from a special rock about 1/4 mi down from the summit on the crawford path, from which you can see about as much as you can see: most of the whites, most of the greens, some of the 'dacks, and , i think that one time, pikes way off in the distance.