Favorite Post Hike Beer!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite post-hike beer?

• Guinness

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Long Trail

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Saranac

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Sierra Nevada

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Tuckerman's

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Don't drink, what's it to ya'?

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
Dugan said:
And not one mention of homebrew, sad...

I'd bring some of my homebrew hiking, but after sitting in a hot car for a few hours I'd rather have a Bud Light. And I hate Bud Light.

Of course I could bring a cooler, but that's not something I typically have in my car for a day hike.

patrickbrusil said:
N E W C A S T L E

N E W C A S T L E

N E W C A S T L E

The thing that peeves me about Newcastle is their darn clear bottles! Why do they have to do that? The only way you can get a decent Newcastle is on tap, or sometimes in a twelve pack. It really annoys me cause I like Newcastle and there aren't many really good brown ales out there (IMO).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, read...

What does light-struck mean?
This is when the beer has been exposed to ultraviolet light for a period of time. Hop-derived molecules, called isohumulones, are basically ripped apart. Some of these parts bind with sulfur atoms to create that “skunk” character, which is similar in character to a skunk's natural defense and is such a potent compound that parts-per-trillion can be detected and even ruin a beer. Although brown bottles aid in protecting beer from being light-struck, it hardly makes the beer invincible. Green or clear bottles provide little to no protection. And it's been said that bottled beer can become light-struck in less than one minute in bright sun, after a few hours in diffuse daylight, and in a few days under normal fluorescent lighting.

This light-struck condition is often to blame for a skunked beer. Many popular imports are distributed in green bottles. Pair the two, mix with misinformation and an inexperienced palate, and the common belief becomes that if beer is in a green bottle, it has to be skunked.

I like to have a few quarts of milk, followed by a few Cokes.

JJD said:
It really annoys me cause I like Newcastle and there aren't many really good brown ales out there (IMO).

If you like brown ales try Smuttynose Brown Dog ale it's one of the best. Also, if you're ever in the Woodstock area stop by the Woodstock Inn for a Pig's Ear brown. It's the beer I look forward to after hiking in western NH. It's available in 6-packs too.

TenPeaks said:
If you like brown ales try Smuttynose Brown Dog ale it's one of the best. Also, if you're ever in the Woodstock area stop by the Woodstock Inn for a Pig's Ear brown. It's the beer I look forward to after hiking in western NH. It's available in 6-packs too.

Preaching to the choir.;) IMHO, Smuttynose has one of the most solid beer lineups of any craft brewer in the US. Every beer in their regular lineup is outstanding and their seasonals are all good to great. I can't recall ever being disappointed by a Smuttynose beer, and I can't say that about many breweries.

Smuttynose and Ipswich mix packs are a staple in my fridge.

Last edited: