Favorite Post Hike Beer!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite post-hike beer?

• Guinness

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Long Trail

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Saranac

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Sierra Nevada

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Tuckerman's

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Don't drink, what's it to ya'?

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
Good survey! I had a tough choice between Long Trail and Saranac. I went with Long Trail. I mean with the topo map style labels and all...

:)

Quietman said:
I'll take an ice cold Yuengling, my brother brings them up from Philly.

Ha... I fell in love with Yuengling in Philly and grab it whenever I'm in NY/PA.

When I finish my 48, I plan on having one at the summit, and the rest of the case waiting in a cooler of ice at camp.

I've been known to have one or two...

trips to the men's room in the Woodstock Inn Brew Pub.

:D

GeorgeFitch said:
I've been known to have one or two...

trips to the men's room in the Woodstock Inn Brew Pub.

:D

Do you remember when that station house was brought in from Lincoln?

Yup - Woodstock Station is the place to be. Give me a Pig's Ear or a Old Man Stout right after a long hike or a weekend of hiking.

In the summer, especially on a hot night, those Corona's sure do taste good, tho.

Im usually starving and thirsty when I roll back into town....Guinness covers both...a meal and a drink all at one time ;) ....Guinness is good for you!
(Saranac Black and Tan, or Black Forrest is a close second)

I'm not really a big drinker... but my favorite post-hike beer was the "Fin du 48" that HarryK carried up to the summit of Carrigain last October. I think it's actually called "Fin du Monde" or something like that.

Wow... come to think of it, the only times I've had beer post-hike (on the mountain or just after) were supplied by HarryK. :D

- Ivy

Yuengling is awesome, Sierra Nevada is high quality but for my money, nothing beats an IPA from the Harpoon Brewery. I love that stuff, and it's made 1/4 mile from my house!

Other . . .

My choice was “other.”

Usually that figures out to Miller High Life in a long neck bottle, since I’m a hiker who has pedestrian tastes (in matters like this).

G.

Grumpy said:
My choice was “other.”

Usually that figures out to Miller High Life in a long neck bottle, since I’m a hiker who has pedestrian tastes (in matters like this).

G.

If you cram a wedge of lime into a MHL, it tastes awesome. My brother and I used to drink these all the time. Called em' the "poor man's corona" Very good for after hike as they're mostly water and help rehydrate :D

The tea-totelers come out swingin'!

I got a negative for this thread with no comment. Oh well, glad to see some people are enjoying it. Though I have to admit, I feel guilty posting about beer with a Woodsy avatar. :eek: Got to find something else...

I figured most of the votes would go to other since there are so many good choices but, I tried to think of the hiking themed brews. It was even tough for me to decide which to vote for. Ultimately, I had to go with Long Trail.

Double Bag for Double Bow! Of course, Hit the Trail, Hibernator and Long Trail Ale are all good and Shammie likes the Blackberry Wheat.

Guiness, Magic Hat, Harpoon, Smuttynose, Shipyard, and Sam Adams all get honorable mentions.

Saranac does it right with 12 different varieties in their 12 packs.

Now what I need to do is start The 4,000 Foot Brewery and create a 48 pack with 48 varieties... :D

Hobgoblin Ale.

Though yesterday was a Saranac Kolsch on Summer's Eve.

When I celebrate on the mountain, it is either Guinness, Old Speckled Hen (which will be savored when i do Old Speck!) or Young's. A can wrapped in ice, snuggled in my bottle cozy, poured into a real pint glass.

Can't be beat... As you can see...

Any tap in a storm

Nobody listed my favorite so far: Whatever Is Available! It usually ends up being something local, so I voted for Tuckermans, but LT Double Bag would be a great choice if I didn't have to drive much, but really anything. Especially if it's a local microbrew.

I dont drink alkeehall :( ! Seriously though Ive never tasted an alcohol or alcoholic beverage I liked (well, I once tried A Petes Strawberry Blonde that was tolerable, but thats about it.) Heck Ive never even acquired the taste for coffe :rolleyes: . I think the worst stuff Ive ever tried was this stuff called Canadian Mist. Tasted like rotten, bitter apples.....Yuck. My buddies at work, however, will drink it even if it only looks yellow. It could taste like watered pee and they will drink it..........some people just have NO standards :D .
Brian

My favorite is Carrabassett Pale Ale. It is quite popular in the Rangeley pubs and restaurants, such as the Four Seasons in Oquossoc and Parkside and Main in Rangeley.

Last edited:
Got to agree w/forty8 got to be a Long Trail Double Bag, as a matter of fact I hear the girls calling now.

All depends on the season

Glad to see some excellent taste buds in these mountains!!!

There is always a stash of brew waiting in the truck. I sit and relax after a nice hike with a brew of seasonal appeal.

Summer...Sierra Navada Summer Ale, LongTrail Blackbeary Wheat(not as sweat as it sounds), Sam Adams Summer Ale......

Autumn...Smuttynose Pumkin Ale... oh yessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter...Old Man Outmeal Stout (good call, Chomp), LongTrail Hibernator, Old Speckled Hen....

Happy Trails :)

The six English Ales that Arm brought in to Feldspar were all totally awesome. And the real answer is "whatever Harry K suggests". Can;t remember what we drank after the 4K club banquet, but it was D*mn great!

I voted Tuckerman's. I first tasted it on my way up to my Grandfather Pinette's funeral. I had never heard of it. It felt like a parting gift from him, and still feels that way today.

I'll also agree with Long Trail, Carrabassett Pale Ale and Smuttynose, but lets not forget 420 and Blind Faith!!!

Worst all time: Budweiser Select. I'll take an ice cold PBR over that anytime :)