First Aid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
porky said:
I carry a 4" ace bandage and figure I can improvise a splint out of found materials, bandanas and the like.
While this is true, I carry a couple of webbing straps with fastex buckles. They work much better and much quicker than anything I can improvise, and have multiple uses beyond F/A. In the WFA course the instructors come over and judge your splint making. The first ones people make are always not padded enough and not tight enough. Making good splints that really imobilize an arm for a hike out is much easier with a few webbing straps. The Crazy Creek or SAM splint are also really useful, but rigid supports I find easier to improvise.

-dave-

porky said:
There is some fascinating information on this thread, but it seems to have drifted from its original intent (as so often happens).
I say it just got even better. Nice post Porky, thanks.

[where else could I have said... "nice post porky"?? :) ]

Anaphylactic reactions and epipens:

I have food allergies with anphylactic reactions. First line of defense is benadryl, followed by prednisone, then epipens.

One thing to be aware of: single dose Epipens are preserved with sulfites. Multiple dose bottles (think ER) do not have sulfites.

I am also allergic to sulfites so using an epipen is a last resort for me. If I'm going down anyway, I'm going to stick myself with the epipen because I've got nothing to lose, but I've got to tell you I've suffered through some horrible reactions without using the epipens. I measure my reactions by how many benadryls it takes to reduce the swellling and allow easier breathing.

And on the trail....I only eat my own food.

But to comment of the first aid kit. duck tape . The cure all for cuts and blisters. Slap that baby on and you've occluded the air mighty fine...no air...no pain.

And taking a hit from an epi-pen may simply allow your throat to open enough so you can take more Benedryl. A pen by itself isn't the best approach. I was told to tape 4-6 Benedryl to the Epi-Pen, since you'll never need it without the other.

A friend use to claim his F/A kit consisted of an ACE bandage and a cyanide tablet.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
And taking a hit from an epi-pen may simply allow your throat to open enough so you can take more Benedryl. A pen by itself isn't the best approach. I was told to tape 4-6 Benedryl to the Epi-Pen
-dave-

In the wilderness context this is about as good as its going to get. Like Dave says, an epi is a short term solution, typically 10 minutes or so before it starts to wear off. If you don't have another epi available or have started some other course of treatment and the reaction is still occurring you could still have very serious problems. Absorption by the oral route into the blood stream (again I suggest liquid or chewables) is going to take 10 or so minutes. There is one other method that is getting consideration in the wilderness medical community for anaphylaxis, and it is over the counter, very fast acting but dosage is a problem and it isn't approved for this type of application. If this changes I'll make mention of it.

In the ambulance that 10 minute time frame is used to get a line in so that epi can be administered directly to help stem the reaction on the way to the hospital.

As with all medical considerations I will repeat and has already been mentioned. You don't know me. I am who I say I am but you don't know that. :D I have already told you I am not a doctor, so do yourself a favor and run anything medical, including what I say past your doctor first.

Keith

Last edited:
If hiking by myself I carry a small first aid kit - bandaids, gloves, cleaner, and a ankle wrap. If hiking with a larger group and/or overnight, I'll carry a larger first aid kit with non-Rx medications, more gloves, sam-split, larger bandages, paramedic shears, tape, iodine, anti-bacterial gel, CPR mask, etc.

Maybe, just maybe, the best thing one can carry with them are common sense and compassion. It's a very challenging environment when one is 5-10 miles from the road and certainly more than a hour from an ER. Using what one has on hand and keeping in mind doing-no-harm and helping another are probably the best one can do. One can improvise in the wilderness.

Training helps dearly - I don't intend in the least way to knock that - I well understand the value of education. CPR and first aid are good things to know. I've had some minimal first responder level training and seminar courses, but I don't currently run with an ambulance or fire service, so I haven't gone for an EMT cert, etc. I even used to work as an engineer on heart monitors. But I'll be the first to admit that it's really easy to forget things, without constant use of those skills, no matter what the level. Right now, renewing my certs every 2 years is about it.

BTW, my hat's off to anyone who does maintain EMT, EMT-I, EMT-P, etc level skills or higher (nurses, PA's and Physicians). It's very hard work and the pay off is in knowing more about how to handle and treat emergency medical situations, and in helping others. It's a great thing.

--LTH

Last edited: