First time hiking the 'Daks... need some help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a family vacation planned for September in Lake Placid. I went to Lake Placid about 4 years ago on a business trip but had no time to hike. I am looking for a family type hike that'll take up a day. I am also looking for something that is close to Lake Placid. I have decided to try Mt. Jo, it sounds like a Welch-Dickey type of hike; good to do with the family. Has anyone ever done this hike? Where can I get a trail map of this trail?

Also, I am looking for some other hikes that are in the Lake Placid area and will take up most of a day. I'm a regular hiker, my wife works out and my son still rides in the carrier so we're open to a hike with decent effort levels. Are there any good waterfall hikes in the Lake Placid area?

I have been on this site and found it helpful http://www.adk.org/home-flash.aspx can anyone suggest any others? How about guide books that are specific to the area of the Adirondacks that I'll be in?

I've been able to find plenty of information out there on the Adirondacks but would like to hear some suggestions from those on VFTT. Thanks for any info or suggestions provided.

WhiteMTHike said:
I've been able to find plenty of information out there on the Adirondacks but would like to hear some suggestions from those on VFTT. Thanks for any info or suggestions provided.
"Discover the Adirondack High Peaks" by Barbara McMartin. There's an updated version out just last year, edited by Bill Ingersoll. This is one of a series of 10 such trail guides covering the Adirondacks, all are highly recommended.

Mount Jo is the perfect family hike. I believe 800' of total gain. There is a loop you can do, steep up, gentle down. I'm pretty sure the hiker's building has maps of that hike specifically, though the ADK High Peaks guide book is the book to get, since it has the most recent and best maps.

Hiking up to Avalanche Pass and down the lake is spectacular. Very fun for most somewhat active families, but about 10 miles roundtrip. Probably around 800' climbing as well.

For a full day, you should hike either Algonquin (and return via Avalanche Pass) -- or Colden and return via Avalanche Pass. Both mountains form the pass at their bases. I prefer Colden. Quieter. Better perspectives.

For waterfalls, the Ausable Club area has a bunch. There is a very pretty one on the way to Lake Arnold and Colden (requires 30 second scramble off the trail). And Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain is great.

McMartin book is also good for a second.

September is a great time! Have fun.

In the Ausable Club area there are many opportunities that do not involve climbing a 4000 ft (unless you want to) There is Beaver Meadow Falls, Rainbow Falls, Fish Hawk Cliffs. You can combine all of these for a long day. Part of the hike is on a road so the level of difficulty is not high. For a short hike in the Wilmington area, Owen and Copperas ponds are nice. You can spend a day chilling at Copperas ponds and do some swimming. Cascade and Porters Mountains are 2 4000 ftr's that do not involve alot of elevation gain and are shorter hikes. I think doable with a child in a carrier. Other shorter hikes in the Keene/Keene valley area are Noonmark, Snow, Rooster Comb, Owls Head. All of these hikes would be in the ADK guide to the high peaks.

Jo is definitely easier than the W-D loop. I like Jo & do it when I'm in the area but I'd probably consider something a little longer, it's only about an hour round trip & you can do it in less if you try.

Some other suggestions:

Hurricane
Marcy Dam (almost the same elevation as the start)
Cascade
The Brothers on the way to Big Slide. (Big Slide likely too ambitious but the ledges on the way are really good too.
Noonmark

WMH - the ADK's have a bunch of different areas, but if you limit yourself to Lake Placid, about the only thing that gives you is hikes out of the Loj area (Mount Jo, VanHoevenberg, and closer High Peaks -- Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Colden and Phelps [others are back further] and lower hikes such as Avalanche Pass, Indian Pass and Marcy Dam).

Cascade and Porter are on the road over the pass to Keene and once you get over there you head a bit north to Keene Valley ("gateway to the high peaks") and the opportunties are broadened considerably. It's only a 20-minute drive over, so don't leave it off the radar. This is where you hit Giant, the "Garden Parking area" for the Great Range and Wolfjaws, Gothics, Saddleback, and smaller, wonderful hikes like Round and Noonmark. The earlier mentioned Ausable Club is over there as well - a parking area that you use to access the "Lake Road" heads you in to Nippletop, Colvin, Blake, Sawteeth and other smaller cliffs, waterfalls and lake destinations.

Phelps - a bit shorter from the Loj area will certainly give you a true ADK experience and provide a bit shorter distance/verticle than Algonquin and Colden at the expense of less marveling views of ADK high peaks (but you're under the shadow of Marcy!

Post if you need more info. The ADK Guidebook (just recently edited) is the traditional guide -- I think you can purchase it online at ADK.org here

Fire towers!

Let me add: Any of the ADK fire towers (Hurricane is the closest to Lake Placid), and Pitchoff are also great hikes! Also, near Pitchoff is Owl's Head, a short little guy with great views. (Keep going past the first summit area to find the true summit and a little seclusion from the climbers).

Fire towers: http://www.adk-gfs.org/fire_tower_challenge.html

Enjoy!

Not trying to bump up my post but I wanted to thank all who responded and provided all the helpful information. I picked up ADK's Guide to the High Peaks Region; excellent reference. It looks like Mt. Jo is still on the list and I will add Algonquin Mt. to it. I also plan to take the advice I was given for waterfall hikes and hit the Ausable Club area.

I cannot wait until September and I promise to post trip reports and pics.

Thanks again.

WhiteMTHike said:
It looks like Mt. Jo is still on the list and I will add Algonquin Mt. to it. I also plan to take the advice I was given for waterfall hikes and hit the Ausable Club area.

There is a nice small waterfall on your way up Algonquin as well. It is below the junction with Wright Peak and there is a nice camping spot just before the falls.

I've gotta second Tom Rankin's suggestions. Mount Jo might go kind of quick and one of the High Peaks might be a lot of work with a carrier. Hurricane is a great little mountain - some effort required but nothing too heavy. Same deal with Pitchoff. Did anyone mention Noonmark ... another nice family type of hike although you might have to watch your footing with a carrier near the summit.

Algonquin is the peak I took my family for their first taste of climbing Adirondack peaks but I also highly recommend Cascade and Porter (somewhat easier and less scrambling up rock).

eddie said:
Algonquin is the peak I took my family for their first taste of climbing Adirondack peaks but I also highly recommend Cascade and Porter (somewhat easier and less scrambling up rock).

Thanks, I was talking to someone I work with the other day, he also suggested Cascade.