Fishin Jimmy Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very vaired trail - a lot of fun - can be slick, the steps are interesting - the only thing that gets me is when you leave LL towards the Kinsmans you descend for quite awhile - which of course is bad news on the return trip...I plan to try the Mount Kinsman Trail next time for variety, but woul go back to Jimmy again.

I've hiked the Fishin Jimmy Trail as part of a couple R/T hikes to the Kinsmans and really enjoyed it in both directions. Winter and Summer.

I've hiked the Fishin Jimmy Trail multiple times at the end of loops that included Cannon, the Cannonballs, and the Kinsmans and really didn't like it at all.

For me the Fishin Jimmy Trail is quite a test at the end of a long day. But, as part of a hike just doing the Kinsmans it's fine out and back - any time of the year.

NewHampshire said:
IIRC, someone said Matts Roning had to abandon his winter 48 record attempt (???) on this trail because he just could not get around the nasty ice and had no traction devices.....or mybe I am just imagining things again :D .

Brian

Indeed, here is the direct quote from Mats on his VFTT thread for his record attempt last winter.....

Hi Everyone,

It's looking challenging right now. After summiting Cannon early this morning in rain, wind and fog I stumbled (i.e. broke through constantly) down to Lonesome Lake Hut. Met the hutkeeper and a group of three (Bob, Gordon and Tim). You can check out Bob and Gordon's adventures on winterhiking.org
The rain continued but had to get up Kinsmanns in order to have a chance at the record so I took off after re-greasing my feet with vaseline and some chatting with the group there. It seemed pretty soon that the rain on top of frozen gound is not a good combination. I passed over the first six flood areas of which some required circumvention. The seventh I was working on for about half hour and didn't want to fall in six feet of slush by myself so I turned back. Even if I made it to Kinsmanns.....what would it look like on the way back? Pretty soon Bob and Gordon came and they wanted to give it a shot despite what I told them. So I went with them....being a group of three felt safer. We managed to get through the section I turned back at, but just another 300 feet further the floodgates of hell had opened up and it kept raining so it wasn't going to get any better. We decided to call it a day. Rain started to get mixed with snow by now. Talked to Tom Ryan on the phone when I got back to the motel. He confirmed same problem with other trails. We are supposed to get a new layer of snow soon with the colder temps. It seems the record attempt is slipping away with the weather. I'll probably head back to Boston tomorrow unless things change dramatically for the better tomorrow. It was a good practice run for the record. I'll be back next year for a new attempt.

MR said:
Talked to Tom Ryan on the phone when I got back to the motel. He confirmed same problem with other trails.
Sounds like the weather not just this trail. I've seen that on Imp Trail - maybe an acre of overflow ice where we skated from tree to tree until we finally put on crampons

We hiked up Kinsman Pond Trail earlier this year, and thought it was better than Fishin' Jimmy Trail. The White Mountain Guide makes KPT sound like a nightmare, but we found it easy to follow.

Reactions: arm
The only problem I had with it was, It was at the end of a long hot humid day an ran low on water.
I liked the trail, and think it's an interesting trail.

Two thumbs up

I hear a lot of bad things from people about this trail. I usually remember, and remember well the ones I didn't like (Cornice anyone?). But honestly, I don't remember much at all about this trail. I hiked it in both 2003 and 2004 and I doubt it's changed much since then. I hiked the Mt Kinsman trail from the other side last year and agree with what has been said about it.

SteveHiker said:
I hear a lot of bad things from people about this trail. I usually remember, and remember well the ones I didn't like (Cornice anyone?). But honestly, I don't remember much at all about this trail. I hiked it in both 2003 and 2004 and I doubt it's changed much since then. I hiked the Mt Kinsman trail from the other side last year and agree with what has been said about it.

Just my point here Steve....why such the boring post...let's remember. good and bad. I would think that most agree...the "F" in jimmy is some FUN any which way you do it Up or Down. A piece of the Whites that's subject to varying conditions.