Flags on the 48 - 9/11/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If You're Feeling Sinister

If there are any peaks left over like, a week before 9/11 (ie. Owl's Head), let me know and I'll do it, regardless of what it is. I'll try to get Dalraida (where the hell is he?) or MEB to join me.

I'll do South Hancock -- one of my favorite peaks.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
If there are any peaks left over like, a week before 9/11 (ie. Owl's Head), let me know and I'll do it, regardless of what it is. I'll try to get Dalraida (where the hell is he?) or MEB to join me.

I'll do South Hancock -- one of my favorite peaks.

-Dr. Wu

Only 3 peaks left on the list and one of them (North Kinsman) is pretty easy! South Carter isn't so bad either!!

Dr. Wu, thanks for taking South Hancock but, please don't take MEB away from us! We're looking forward to meeting her on Liberty!! :)

Double Bow said:
Dr. Wu, thanks for taking South Hancock but, please don't take MEB away from us! We're looking forward to meeting her on Liberty!! :)
MEB already said no. Well, someone else better come along. Tom? Eric? I may get Jess and some of her non-hiking friends to come along.

If I said I was booshwhacking to the Captain afterwards I bet more people would sign up.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Rock me Amadeus!!!!

Don't get to say that everyday!!! Amadeus has signed up for East Osceola. Thank you!

That leaves just two peaks left, North Kinsman and South Carter. Come on folks, please sign up for one of these very doable peaks. I'll give you a fruit leather if you do. :D I'll even make it an organic one at that! How can you turn down an offer like that?!?!

Seriously folks, please come out and show your support for our country and pay your respects to those who lost their lives on that fateful day. Thank you.

Amadeus comes through again! He manned South Carter for us last year. Very cool to have repeat flagbearers.

I can't for the life of me understand why North Kinsman is still there. Those ledges allow for some great views and with some good binoculars you may be able pick out some flags on the Franconia Range and maybe Cannon and South Kinsman.

Don't Forget though, We have three reserved peaks that will open up to the hiking public on August 11th. So if you know someone that's not a hiker but would like to support the event, This is the way to do it.

Also doesn't hurt to get more names added to some of the hiking parties. It's a perfect way to meet new hiking friends and garner advice from more experienced travelers. If you have friends that hike, see if they want to come along for a special day

good views from the Kinsmans ... here's one of my favorites, from a hike we checked out in november 2000 ... looked like an "army of snowmen" on the summit, with Franconia Ridge in the background

We are down to our last regular peak, South Carter! Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. I hope Mother Nature gives us a 5 star day with a light breeze to get those flag unfurled and flying proud!

Wow Arm! It is a very wonderful snow scene on the summit of N Kinsman.

A big two thumbs up on the sign-ups. Thanks to all of you for putting this event together nicely. And to Stephen for his hard work on the flags site.

Group accomodations for Flags

I might be able to swing a condo rental for Saturday night 9/10/5 in the Conway area. It has a hot tub and sleeps up to 8.

If anyone is interested, PM me. The more we have, the cheaper it will be.

Those of you interested in the west side of the Whites, keep in mind we're currently looking at reserving a large area of a campground (with running water & hot showers) for both an evening campfire and hangout as well as overnight stay. Details to come as they get finalized.

SilentCal said:
We are down to our last regular peak, South Carter! Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. I hope Mother Nature gives us a 5 star day with a light breeze to get those flag unfurled and flying proud!

It looks like it's a wrap! South Carter (and all the rest) are claimed! :)

Twin Approach

I was reading up on the approach to N. Twin from the North. It says that there are 3 stream crossings (the same stream). It recommends NOT bushwhacking to avoid 2 of the crossings, but does say that the stream can be quite difficult to cross.

Does anyone have any experience crossing this stream, especially in September?

I don't want to get my flag wet! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
It recommends NOT bushwhacking to avoid 2 of the crossings, but does say that the stream can be quite difficult to cross.
Why not? It's the original trail and really easy to follow -- hardly a bushwhack. Those first two crossings can be annoying but the third one is easier.

-Dr. Wu

When we did North Twin we crossed the stream on the way up and did the "bushwack" on the return just to see what it was like. Like Dr Wu said - not an issue.

The thing about the Little River up on the North Twin trail is that it's wide and flat. Very, very flat, so much so that just 4" of water is going to get your feet wet. It's not a risky crossing, or even difficult, per se, just annoying. Do the bushwhack, you'll be fine.

MichaelJ said:
The thing about the Little River up on the North Twin trail is that it's wide and flat. Very, very flat, so much so that just 4" of water is going to get your feet wet. It's not a risky crossing, or even difficult, per se, just annoying. Do the bushwhack, you'll be fine.
I could be wrong about it but I suspect that the one and only reason the trail was rerouted across the river was to keep people away from the Firewarden's Trail once it went out of use. I can't think of another reason. The original section of trail is in great shape and very easy to follow. After the turnoff for the Firewarden's Trail it gets a little messy with some blowdown but overall, it's real easy. Those two crossings are annoying.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I could be wrong about it but I suspect that the one and only reason the trail was rerouted across the river was to keep people away from the Firewarden's Trail once it went out of use. I can't think of another reason. The original section of trail is in great shape and very easy to follow. After the turnoff for the Firewarden's Trail it gets a little messy with some blowdown but overall, it's real easy. Those two crossings are annoying.

-Dr. Wu

Yes, that is what they mentioned in the reference I read.

Thanks for the input!

Here is the reference I read:

http://hikenh.netfirms.com/TDNTwinT.htm

It mentions bushwhacking to avoid 2 crossings, but it mentions this twice, so I assume there is a b.w. on both sides. Which do you recommend ?

Last edited:
When you get to the first crossing, don't. Stay on the bank and there should be a faded path there. It will take you to the second crossing, where the trail comes back to your side of the river. From there, you're back on the trail until the third crossing, where you have to suck up and cross. :)

If anyone in the Boston area or any area for that matter is interested, there will be a get-together, this Thursday, August 11 to get a little more psyched up for the the Flags event this year (not that it is needed).

Below is a useful link:

Flags Get-Together Aug. 11

peace: