Flags on the 48: Wildcat A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Before I get into the details of our trip up to Wildcat A for the fifth-annual Flags on the 48, I just want to extend a huge thank you and appreciation to the crew that joined me. You each did significantly more work than I did even as the peak coordinator, and it would not have been as successful _ or enjoyable _ a venture had you not joined in on the trek to Wildcat A.

Now onto the details!

A gang of eight: me, AMSTony, SteveHiker, Christa, Rich, Sue, Bobby and Eric took off up the 19 Mile Brook Trail around 9 a.m. The first 3.8 miles in are relatively flat, a wonderful walk in the woods. The weather was stunning when we took off _ bright sun, reasonable temperatures, the slighest of breezes.

We had scored a nifty flag pole of PVC piping from Dirt Girl. It comes in three pieces, but we opted to bring just two, figuring this peak _ unlike Zealand for which it was made _ wouldn't have the kind of tree cover requiring a huge flag pole to hoist the colors above the treetops.

Right around the turn off for the Carter Dome Trail, we encountered a mini problem with the various pieces in one section of the pole poking through the Duct tape covering the hole. Rich and Sue, using their smarts, performed a little "surgery" _ using medical tape, gauze and a small plastic bag _ to fashion a trap at the end that prevented the pieces from falling through.

In the middle of this surgery, Steve entertained us with his impression of Daffy the Duck, sporting Pringles in a duck bill and hamming it up. He's a talented one, that Steve!

After a mini break here, we continued down the trail.

We got to the trail junction that heads to the Carter Notch Hut in about 2 hours, took a small break _ where Christa and AMSTony tried their own impressions of ducks with the Pringles. Steve's antics are contagious!

Now, the real fun begins: the slog up to the summit. It's only another 0.7 miles to the top _ but it's steep steep steep! Sue and Tony were the speedsters in the group while Bobby and I took up the rear. Between all of us, we got the flag pole and flag _ a giant one that Tony got from work _ to the top. It was "fun" to figure out how to put the pole together (this was our first experience with the pole, which in years previous had been used on Zealand), but we managed to get it done and hoist the giant flag over our peak.

Tony donned a T-shirt that was in tribute to New York Police Officer James Leahy, his brother's partner in the New York City Police Department. Leahy, stationed at the 6th Precinct in Greenwich Village, went with Tony's brother to the World Trade Center after the first plane crashed into the North Tower. Tony's brother got out but Leahy's remains were later found on what had been the 9th floor of the first tower that collapsed.

We spent the next couple of hours watching the increasingly grey skies zoom in and occasionally taking hope in the few patches of blue we could see. We were lucky in that the two hours of covering our peak, however, we had amazing views toward the Carter-Moriah Range.

Around 2 p.m. Steve, Christa, Rich and Sue took off to continue their trek. Destination: Wildcat D, and then the ski trails down to the valley.

Bobby, Eric, Tony and I packed up the pole and flag, and headed back down 19 Mile Brook Trail. It started to drizzle a bit as we left, and we donned our jackets for the hike down the steep trail, taking care to maneuver carefully along the slippery rocks.

By the time we were back to the trail junction that heads toward the hut, the sun appeared again _ only to give way yet again to rain, this time buckets of the stuff, accompanied by thunder and lightning.

We boogied down 19 Mile Brook Trail, and I for one was thankful this was the trail we were on: relatively flat and sheltered by trees.

Here are some
pix

What an outstanding day and hike. We got caught in the T-storms and heavy rain at the end, but by then we were so close we just "weathered" it and made it to the cars. The flag flew proudly and really looked good towards the end as the winds picked up.

I'd like to thank all those who participated, and especially Alpinista for picking the peak and letting me join in with her planning. Everything was super, and it was great to hike with Stevehiker again and Christa. Bobby and his son, Eric, were there, and Eric was a real trooper, helping me negotiate the Wildcat trail with the flagpole. Rich and Sue were there and it was great to meet them. Arm caught up to us as we descended off the peak, having come over from Wildcat "D", Sherpa K's peak, to see us.

I have attached pics below.

Last edited:
Some local views and final pic, thanks again for all who participated.

My youngest brother Michael, still on the job in NYC, called today, we tried several times yesterday while on the Wildcat A peak to talk, but reception was poor. He thanked everyone who participated.

Good to meet the Wildcat A crew

I was nice to meet the crew on the way up on 19 mile brook, and then on Wildcat A. I was one of the four hiker that stoped to talk and take your group shots, and thanks for taking ours. It felt good to be somewhat part of the Flags On The 48 tribute. We tied to make it to Widcat D but didn't make it in time to see the flag. We did however get caught in the down poor and thunder storm coming off of Wilcat A on our way back to the hut. I have atteched 2 photos, one is the goup shot of you crew I took, and the other is the photo you took of our group, left to right Bob, Rick, Sharon and (myself)Brad.

Last edited:
Wonderful - congrats on a job well done. I'm glad you didn't get caught in an unsafe place for the thunderstorms. Let's just say I didn't like being on Lafayette in hail, or coming down just below the Agonies in that massive lightning!

Great pix all - please consider submitting them to the Fot48 web site gallery as we get things set up over there to accept uploads.

MichaelJ said:
Great pix all - please consider submitting them to the Fot48 web site gallery as we get things set up over there to accept uploads.

We're all set. Posted them earlier.

Glad to hear you got back off Lafayette in one piece!

What sucked was that I had *just* dried out from the first storm's soaking when the second storm started!
:)

Thanks for the pix!!!

hardyb said:
I was nice to meet the crew on the way up on 19 mile brook, and then on Wildcat A. I was one of the four hiker that stoped to talk and take your group shots, and thanks for taking ours. It felt good to be somewhat part of the Flags On The 48 tribute. We tied to make it to Widcat D but didn't make it in time to see the flag. We did however get caught in the down poor and thunder storm coming off of Wilcat A on our way back to the hut. I have atteched 2 photos, one is the goup shot of you crew I took, and the other is the photo you took of our group, left to right Bob, Rick, Sharon and (myself)Brad.

It was great to meet the four of you. Were you able to get in the Carter range hike you'd been planning for Sunday? Did it rain all night?

I was jealous y'all were staying at Carter Notch. That is my absolute favorite hike in the Whites!

MichaelJ said:
Wonderful - congrats on a job well done. I'm glad you didn't get caught in an unsafe place for the thunderstorms. Let's just say I didn't like being on Lafayette in hail, or coming down just below the Agonies in that massive lightning!

MichaelJ- Glad you guys made it out safe. We were wondering where all the teams on the exposed ridgelines were, and that they had all made it to safe spots in time. Looks like except for getting VERY WET, everyone did fine. :)

Congratulations to Lisa, Tony and all of you. I hiked Cannon on Saturday with Mrs. LarryD and from the summit tower we could see the flags on Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty. Quite impressive. (Oddly enough, the Cannon flag was not visible from where we were.) We got caught in the first series of showers but were safely in Lincoln (eating ice cream, I'm embarrassed to say) when the second, more serious weather hit. Glad everyone made it back OK.

great stuff - I was over on "d". I hiked with my son (17 months) so - wanted to have the safe bail (gondola) out if needed due to rain. We arrived at the bottom just as the rain ws moving in.

had a fun day for sure - I think ARM and his fudge was heading over that way. Not sure of you guys ran into him or not. (or better yet - he ran into you :D :) )

I can't take credit for the duck-thing. I learned it from LenDawg.

I must say that hiking down Polecat in a thunderstorm is quite an experience. It was like standing under a waterfall for an hour. Luckily the people at the Wildcat base building let us use their bathrooms to change into dry clothes afterwards.

It was great meeting Bobby and Eric, and seeing Tony, Lisa and Arm again. And thanks for the beverage afterwards, it really hit the spot after the soaking.

We could see the flag on South Carter, and it looked like there might have been one on Hight as well.

Last edited:
SteveHiker said:
I can't take credit for the duck-thing. I learned it from LenDawg.

You learned that duck-thing skill very well. :)

Good to see you and Christa again. ARM's fudge in the pouring rain was a tasty treat! His post hike beverage was highly appreciated. :D

Thanks for assisting with carrying the poles and raisng the flag.

Arm's fudge hit the spot, as did his beverages. Spent yesterday telling Eric "don't teach your brother and sister the pringle thing." Alas, to no avail! I was happy to see that the other groups got off of their peaks with no casualties. Thanks again for a great day. :)