Fleece vs. Goretex in the rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LscotB

Reaction score
Hiked 10 miles on Saturday in the rain wearing fleece outer and inner layers. Stayed warm and dry underneath. Everyone else I saw had goretex rain gear. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each in the rain? I have always felt that I would abudantly sweat in goretex, even though it's supposed to be breathable? Does wet fleece eventually lose its insulation qualities?

The hike on Saturday was Sherburn Pass Trail to summit of Pico around to Jungle Junction, south on the AT/Longtrail to Bucklin Trail to Brewer's Corner. It rained almost the entire hike, very, very wet trails-flowing water, etc, the wind was minimal.

hikingfish said:
One thing goretex is good at (other than being waterproof) is that it doesn't let wind through. If there would of been more wind, you probably would of been much colder from a combination of being wet and the wind.

I wonder if "apples and oranges" are not being compared here.
Here are some sites on fleece and Gortex (admittedly commercial ones) that might help.

Fleece kept you dry???????? **

Was it a specialty fleece - perhaps with a custom film layer??

First layer was a EMS 100% polyester tech/wich shirt, second layer a North Face micor fleece ulta wick shirt. Third layer a North Face fleece jacket.

My fleece jackets have a slight advantage in general comfort, but I always wear my Goretex shell if it looks like it's going to rain or snow. Mo' bettah' protection from da wind and precip, yo.