Flower Quiz #1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim scores with #3, Clintonia. I have not heard it called Corn Lily, but I am no expert. I do know it is called Blue Bead Lily. Once the flower is gone the seed is a large blue bead. Edit: I think Indian Poke is called Corn Lily.

That gives us:

#1 Painted Trillium

#2 Starflower

#3 Clintonia

#5 Pink Lady's Slipper

#6 Bunchberry or Dwarf Cornel

#9 Labrador Tea

#10 Bog Laurel

Last edited:
Darn - I logged in too late.

With so many different names being used for the same plant its always best to try to stick with the botanical name. For example - #7 is known variously as cornelian cherry, bunchberry, or cornel but the botanical name is Cornus canadensis.

I think # 4 is Arenaria groenlandica - Mountain sandwort and I believe I have the answer for #8, but will try to follow the rules.

I have most of these finally established in my back yard(obtained legitimately) as a reminder/connection with the mountains.

Another correct answer...

You're absolutely right, and you added yet another name for Bunchberry that I didn't know, cornelian cherry, but... this is supposed to be fun, and to dummies like me, latin isn't fun. :)

#1 Painted Trillium

#2 Starflower

#3 Clintonia or Blue Bead Lily

#4 Mountain Sandwort

#5 Pink Lady's Slipper

#6 Bunchberry or Dwarf Cornel or...

#9 Labrador Tea

#10 Bog Laurel

KDT

Last edited:
#8 Pale Painted Cup. Lots of them in Tuck's.

All the correct answers, sorry Tut... :)

#1 Painted Trillium

#2 Starflower

#3 Clintonia or Blue Bead Lily

#4 Mountain Sandwort

#5 Pink Lady's Slipper

#6 Bunchberry or Dwarf Cornel or...

#7 Mountain Avens

#8 Pale Painted Cup

#9 Labrador Tea

#10 Bog Laurel

KDT

This was a fun quiz.

Not to pick nits(for those who care) but the correct terminology is "botanical names", not "Latin names". Binomial taxonomy was created by Carl Linne in the 18th Century, who later became Carl von Linne, after becoming a nobleman. Interestingly, his father was the first in his family to adopt a last name, using the Latin form of the name of the Linden tree. Linne the younger was also known as Carolus Linneaus or Linneaus.

Linneaus used Latin roots to describe characteristics of plant materials, and where there were none that were particularly useful, created Latin-sounding ones, a practice that continues today.

Another point about Linne - he revised Celsius' thermometer scale to read from cold to hot(Celsius as the boiling point of water).

neat quiz!

I have a request for these kind of "theme posts" (this & the map quiz & the "what is this plant or animal" posts) since I'm interested in them but seldom check VFTT anymore due to time constraints :( --

any chance someone could start a "meta-thread" on "map quiz" or "nature Q/A" and post a link from it to other new threads? (that way I can subscribe to the meta-thread & get notified)

probably an unreasonable request but I thought I'd ask.

p.s. If you want another one of this type of quiz w/ plant photos, I can probably find the time as I have the pictures...