Flume Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Has anyone been up the Flume Slide Trail in the past few weeks? Never been ther and I'm thinking of heading up on Monday, the across to Liberty and down. All comments and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks. GO SOX! :)

I trekked up the Flume Slide about a month ago for the first time, and it was tougher than I had imagined. It was the same trip you were planning; up Flume, over to Liberty, and down Liberty Springs. This was early in the morning, in the fog, with a slight drizzle, and some of those rock slabs were tough. And I hear the slide is wet even in nice weather (is this right?). Quite a few times I remember stopping to actually "plan" my next move - this foot here, this hand there. The most distinct memory I have is that it seemed to go on forever . As far as descending, I highly advise against it unless you're extremely careful.

I'll be heading back up there on a nicer day, as I hear the views from the slide are fantastic. Maybe then it won't seem to take so long!

I've been on the slide on dry days, and it was still a little damp in places. There are a few spots where water seeps out of the rocks. Just be careful and watch what you're doing (as with any slide). In general, there is enough stuff to hangon to when you need it. It's pretty overgrown around the edges and is pretty narrow compared to some other ones I've been on.

The second time I did it, it seemed longer than I remembered from the first time. But it is still a lot of fun to climb.

I would second the recommendation to not go down it. And I'll also second the GO SOX!

I did the same hike about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The hike in to the Flume Slide Trail is very easy. The begining of the hike was pretty flat with lots of roots. After you hit the bike path and cross the bridge, the terrain changes to less roots and some rocks. We found the approach to the base of the slide to be very fast and easy. Once the slide starts however you will definitely want to take your time and be sure your footing is good.

I found climbing the slide to be lots of fun and not too difficult. We did lose the trail at some point and had to do some bushwhacking to get back on it. It's not too clearly marked when you get towards the top of the slide. We should have stayed right but we ended up entering the woods too soon. My friend did not enjoy this hike at all. He ended up slipping early on in the slide and was a little freaked out the rest of the way up. It is very steep.

Coming down Liberty Springs seemed to take forever and was pretty steep as well. Good footing though from what I recall. Definitely go up the slide and down Liberty.

Steeep

I went up about 3 weeks ago and it is a great hike. That being said it is very difficult like others have stated here. Go as light as possible. I saw a few poor souls going in full on packs and they were struggling. I actually found going in trailrunners to be a benefit in that you will be scrambling so much. If it is raining, I do not think I would do it, but I have heard the weather this weekend is going to be nice. Be prepared b/c doing the whole loop down Liberty is around 8-10 Miles. Have a great time.

Steep & wet, early in the AM this time of year might be icy too so don't get to the slide before 9:00, it takes about 90 -120 minutes to get to the base if I remember it right. It's harder than most trails, but not a climb & still fun for most people

Toying with going up it next week myself although I may opt just for Liberty Springs, Liberty & then heading north to the big two on the ridge.

I met a lady that did it on Tuesday this week with her dog. I was surprised as it had rainned the previous night (I chose to go acorss Liberty over to Flume and backtrack). When we bumped into each other I asked how it was and she said "wet and hard", but they did it (including a dog)! She said that she only lost her footing once and her dog fell once (not serious), but only because he was going back down the slide to meet her. Just be careful as a hiker recently got hurt on this trail.

Bobby said:
I think I'll give it a go in the morning, the weather looks good, and it has been dry for a few days.

Yes, it has not rained in several days, but this trail will be slippery in the early morning and perhaps later even without recent rain. It is considered a "hazardous" trail and always demands extra caution and vigilance.

AP Report:
[start quote] Hiker hurt, rescued from 'hazardous trail'
September 5, 2005
LINCOLN, N.H. --A hiker suffered a serious head injury Sunday when he fell 30 feet onto rocks on a trail in the White Mountain National Forest, officials said.
Rescuers worked more than 10 hours to extract Christopher Stroupe, 33, of Lebanon, from the Flume-Slide Trail in Lincoln, Fish and Game Lt. Todd Bogardus said.
Stroupe was ascending the trail alone when he fell at about 12:30 p.m. Other hikers spotted him and called for help. He was being treated at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.
Rescuers carried Stroupe for more than three miles to a clearing where he was flown to the hospital. He was conscious during the extraction, Bogardus said.
"It's a hazardous trail," Bogardus said. [end quote]

I have been up the FLume Slide and it is a fun hike. Mentally, I found it more demanding than a slide like the one on North Tripyramid, because it is wooded and it is impossible to see what is coming next. There were a maybe 2 tricky scrambles, but nothing with any sense of exposure. It was long, and it was rough footing at times. Have fun and good luck.