Friday (through Peekamoose) on Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
It was The Swede's idea. How about a nabbing of the four bushwack peaks, he suggested, back a month or so ago. A few of us expressed interest, and I took on the job of Administrator, responding to inquiries and organizing the date. I guess that was only natural since it was framed as Flammeus and my anniversary hike.

The final line up was: Ralph/Hermit, his buddy George, Tom and I, and The Inconquerable Swede. And of course The Belgians (Iske and Lily). We left cars at Peekamoose Road, and thanks again Ralph for volunteering your vehicle for transport. The hike started at the stone pillars on Moon Haw Road.

Immediately we were treated to Ralph and George's wonderful intimate knowledge of the area - flora and fauna. A telephone pole impregnated with bear hair and whittled by scratch marks merited a quick photo stop. Loads of bear scat, an awesome bear print in mud (the dogs immediately destroyed - who brought them anyway???), and a boatload of elevation gain later, and we were at Hermit's Ledge. Ralph led us through tricky areas - finding the switchbacks that made ascending the steep rocky areas easy. Thanks again Ralph. The views were gorgeous, some haze and high wispy clouds.

We signed in at Friday's canister about 1.25 hours after starting out. Whew. I was soaking wet, so off came the wet shirt, on with the dry. [This process got repeated with every ascent until I ran out of dry shirts! The guys were very polite about not teasing me (the only female on the trip) about my wardrobe changes - I just seem to freeze if I let my clothes dry on me - even though they are high tech quick dry material. :confused: ] Ralph led us back down to the herd path on the east side of Friday and Balsam Cap, and we hiked on over to Balsam Cap. Approx 40 minutes later, we were on a second ledge, once again ooohing and aaaahing over the gorgeous views to the east - great views of Wittenberg and Cornell, the Ashokan reservoir, and something shiny in West Hurley (a roof?). The ascent up BC from Friday wasn't as intense as getting up Friday (let's face it - from the road to the top of Friday is some crazy multiple thousand feet elevation gain - not much feels like that!).

We stopped at the BC canister, and got suited up for the next leg. Up until this point, we'd stayed on herd paths and bark roads. To me, our route had felt "coastal" - I could see and feel the Hudson River on my left shoulder, and knowing it was there kept me oriented. Turning "inland" felt a little intimidating and the clear warnings from Ralph about how much more difficult the going was to be in the next section increased my sense of heading into the Heart of Darkness (ok, I'm exaggerating, but only a little!). Pullovers, long sleeves, and eye protection in place, we dove in.

It felt bizarre at times, stumbling and crashing along, watching Ralph, compass out, taking bearing after bearing, keeping us laser-focused on Rocky. Down into the col, and up into the rocks. It really wasn't that bad.

A little over an hour, and we were climbing through the tough parts of Rocky's east "face". At one point, Lily required lifting and being handed to me. Ever get "handed" half your weight while balanced on a cliff? Whomp. Not dangerous, just intense.

The canisters must be magnetically attracted to Ralph... we marched right up to Rocky's at roughly one p.m. Lunch break, photos, rest, and one we went.

By now, we're a little tired (OK, not The Swede. I'm not sure he got tired.). Packs are lighter, legs are heavier. Soon off Rocky's summit, we crashed through some much thicker stuff, and popped out into a brilliantly sunny fern covered opening. Wow. Further along, Ralph and George showed us signs of a bear lair. On the way up Lone I saw a couple of big, healthy looking birch trees - beautiful specimens. We didn't really find much of a herd path from Rocky to Lone, but just stuck religiously to the compass readings. Worked out great. 2:30 p.m. and we have signed in at all our canisters. On to the Peekamoose -Table trail.

This part felt like a slog to me. I was hungry for easier walking, the dogs were thristy (despite Ralph's incredibly kind and thoughtful aiming for water stops for them - not much water up there - yes, Tom and I carried extra for the dogs, but they needed a real puddle to tank up). Flammeus was tired. I wasn't tired (I was still mentally competing with The Swede, who looked fresh as a daisy). Denial...

We followed Ralph up again. Up up up. Until kaboom - we were on a ledge, on the east side of Table, marveling at what we'd just done. That view is absolutely a just reward for the climb - it is a sweeping grand commanding view of the Burroughs range, the bushwack peaks, the unnamed bump off to the south of BC, the reservoir, and distant views to the north - Devil's Path, KHP, Tom Cole and Black Dome... and triumph. Victory. The trail is nigh, and freedom of step, swinging of arms, awaits.

We stepped onto the trail at 3:30. Four miles, and one more ascent to go. Flammeus was really unhappy with the whole "one more ascent" part. He whined about this not being in the brochure.

The next photo break was at the view spot at the 3500 ft point, south of the summit. Those views were spectacular - BLM off in the distance, with Double top and the whole Big Indian "chain" defining the western horizon, and fairy tale layers of hill and valley to the south. The sun was warm and yellowing, the shade getting deeper, and the trail was steep as hell all the way back to the car.

The Swede and Ralph just took off. They trail hike at a clip I couldn't keep up with, and after the inital competitive urge dwindled, I settled into my stride. Flammeus and George took up the rear, and we spread out enough that I had a good two miles or so of hiking completely alone with my dogs. Alone, deep in thought, good-tired, and introspective... I couldn't have ended the awesome day more perfectly.

A great crew, benevolent weather, and miles of trailless wilderness. Can't wait to do it again sometime!

The Swede was the official photographer :) but my photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30705651@N02/

Last edited:
Cripes!!! How did I manage to miss this hike!!! :eek:

Besides needing all the bushwacks, I have been dreaming of that route for years!

Great TRIP report and a fine Catskill group to hike with -- how can you go wrong with at least 2 CAT100HH in your party??

Somebody puleeease let me know if this hike gets repeated!

:)

una_dogger said:
Cripes!!! How did I manage to miss this hike!!! :eek:

Besides needing all the bushwacks, I have been dreaming of that route for years!

Great TRIP report and a fine Catskill group to hike with -- how can you go wrong with at least 2 CAT100HH in your party??

Somebody puleeease let me know if this hike gets repeated!

:)

Much of the discussion got buried in a different thread, I guess. Since it was The Swede's idea, you can blame him! :D

This kind of started with Jason Ferris and I discussing how gas prices were changing our hiking habits on that thread, way back in early summer. We began talking about it then. Then our plans to head up the Neversink to Slide got more people taking us seriously ( :D ), and among the wonderful encouragement and advice we received, The Swede tossed out the invitation to do this hike.

Re CHH completers, I think you might be thinking of a different George. We weren't with Doodles - our George is a friend of Ralph's, working his way through the 35.

This hike will get repeated for sure - if news of it comes my way I will be sure to let you know.

Meanwhile, The Swede is cooking up a funky mixed bag hike involving some bushwack and trailed peaks - Balsam Lake Mountain -Graham-Doubletop-Big Indian-and up to Pine Hill catching Eagle, Haynes and Belleaire along the way. Sounds long and tiring, but tantalizing :D I'll be sure to let you know if that becomes a plan.

halia and flammeus said:
Meanwhile, The Swede is cooking up a funky mixed bag hike involving some bushwack and trailed peaks - Balsam Lake Mountain -Graham-Doubletop-Big Indian-and up to Pine Hill catching Eagle, Haynes and Belleaire along the way. Sounds long and tiring, but tantalizing :D I'll be sure to let you know if that becomes a plan.

Sweet. The only CAT35 I have on that roster is Balsam Lake Mntn. Keep me in the loop fer sure!

Here are the pics from the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/t3h_sw3d3/sets/72157607417091335/detail/

Halia and Flammeus, it was nice to meet you two, plus your two rough and tumble hiker dogs.

halia and flammeus said:
I wasn't tired (I was still mentally competing with The Swede, who looked fresh as a daisy). Denial...
The fatigue set in during the long drive back ta Joizy. I made it home in under two and a half hours, including the coffee pit stop. I slept like a baby when I got home, after only getting 3 hours of sleep and then roughin' it in the sticks all day long.

I had a great time hiking with everyone Sat.. It was nice to finally meet you Swede. I talked to George this morning ,he was a little sore,but it was his first hike since 11-07.That traverse is one of my favorites. I hope trails are never put in that area.Thanks for posting the pictures.Sabrina,I am not a Catskill-102h.h. yet,but maybe someday. I am in no hurry,and I am only at 63/102.

Last edited:
hermit said:
It was nice to finally meet you Swede.
Ralph,

It was nice to meet you, a true Catskills legend. One of these days we'll have to do the BLM-Belleayre traverse: over 4800 feet of elevation gain. Not sure how many miles though.

halia and flammeus said:
This kind of started with Jason Ferris and I discussing how gas prices were changing our hiking habits on that thread, way back in early summer. We began talking about it then. Then...

Then the jerk bailed on us! :eek: :D

Very glad to see that you guys got this one in, this weekend. Great report and pics. Frankly, I'm feeling a tiny bit jealous...but don't let anyone that was at Barnes this weekend know!

I thought Eric would go on to Van Wyck and Woodhull after Peekamoose. You must've tired him out. ;)

Jason

ferrisjrf said:
I thought Eric would go on to Van Wyck and Woodhull after Peekamoose. You must've tired him out. ;)

Funny you mentioned that. A few days before the trip, I was glancing over the map and was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate Van Wyck and Woodhull into the trip. :eek: I wouldn't have done it though...

Most of my trips usually go from Van Wyck to Table, with the little bump between Van Wyck and Table. (summit of Table gets fairly thick but short), sneeky whackers whack north of the summit and then hit the Long Path south over Table... Woodhull is an easy woodridge west.... It's the Catskill's Divide...

Jay

ferrisjrf said:
Then the jerk bailed on us! :eek: :D

Very glad to see that you guys got this one in, this weekend. Great report and pics. Frankly, I'm feeling a tiny bit jealous...but don't let anyone that was at Barnes this weekend know!

Jason

All will be forgiven once we get the dogs truly filthy and pack them into your car :D !!! Maybe a late winter hike, complete with ice, snow, mud and water. Lily picks up material and redistributes it pretty generously.

It is a pleasure and an honor to participate in a hike that makes anyone even a tad jealous ;) . I spent a lot of years wishing I was out there.

I propose a challenge: let's come up with a hike that actually will tire Eric out! Maybe we could tag team it... :)

halia and flammeus said:
I propose a challenge: let's come up with a hike that actually will tire Eric out! Maybe we could tag team it... :)
Yeah, right. How about we come up with a hike that will tire Jason out! I am reminded of the time when Jason, Jay and I did the R-D in Harriman. After hiking twenty-six miles, Jason gets into his car and nonchalantly says "time to head up to the Catskills now." :eek:

halia and flammeus said:
Speed kills :D

Seriously - speed has been done -- well done. I think creativity in route planning or some other distinction could be concocted.

Maybe the whole thing as a three-legged race? :eek: :D

Potato sack race! :D